Register To Comment
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Graupner motors

The picture is gimsons are quality, right

Quote Originally Posted by archie2000
    The picture is gimsons are quality, right
    You didn't get the picture.

Stall any suitable featherweight motor, and you get cooked rotors, burned brushes and even smoldering speedo's and swelling batteries.
    Unless a safetyfeature like speedo-current limiting or fuses kick in.

For the price, those GR01's are the best buy you can do at the moment if you don't have lathe/mill machining capacity

Don't get me wrong. The Speed 900 MSR 12-XX drives we use in Hannibalito 3 and Kashei. And dave W uses in Satanix 1.666 are WAY stronger in all respects, albeit with a higher own weight.

But with the difference in pricetag... 2 Graupner Speed 900's =£90.
    2 Z12 Mod 1 gears and 2 Z72 Mod 1 gears from Technobots=£54.94 .
    £25 for the gearboxplates , 15mm steel axles and bolts.

Total = £169,94

2 Robotmarketplace PDX16 units will set you back an simular amount.

Compared to 2 GR01's... £49.8

After this, you still have to add a wheel to each unit.

Here we are again with the Gimsons or drills being boring and weak. That simply is not true.

I insist, 4 12v drills running at 18v with 100mm wheels will give you a robot that feels powerful, because it is. And, power isn't everything. If you have a flat fronted robot, you could have rockets for drive and it would be beaten by a 35w Jaguar seat motor powered robot with a wedge built for a hundred quid. Plus, the suggested setup above gives you a speed of 10mph, which is faster than I (personally) can comfortably control a robot. Satanix drives so well because Dave is an amazing driver and I think the gyro setup he has helps things.

If you want to talk power, picture a robot with said 35w motor setup. Two of them drive a robot comfortably. A drill measured in the same way might well (theoretically) be more like 70w. So, twice the power of a single 35w motor in one drill. If you had 4 drills, on paper you would have 8 times the power of a 35w motor powered robot.

For a first machine, you will not be disappointed. Picturing bigger and (subjectively) better things is human and normal, and as I have said before I definitely don't want to kill your enthusiasm, but practicality and reality have to be in there somewhere.

Build something mate, and see for yourself. I'm dying to see what you end up building now.

i will start with 2 drills maybe with grippy wheels
    simple.
    maybe with a lifter

i just had a look in my cellar and dad found 4 motors.
    a dewalt 9W07
    a car fan motor x2
    a windowscreen wiper motor
    woo
    bad news:
    dewalts gearbox is in pieces.
    good news :
    inset day tomorrow so i will have a play with gears.

viewtopic.php?f=166&t=5226

This would potentially be a good start for a featherweight and you could fit a lifting actuator to it or look at using low pressure pneuamtics down the line.

cheers Gary
    the dewalt is a DW907
    my memory is awful.
    can i run 2 different motors like the dewalt and the car fan together on the same rpm?

Just a note, sorry guys, ive got that

good for you.
    I'm starting from scratch.
    then it will always be my robot
    got a picture of the junk
    Attached Images Attached Images

picking up from what Max said.
    4 drills are more powerful than 2 speed900s.
    this can't be true can it?
    this may change my mind on the way i think of drills.
    does anyone have any stats on any cheap drills?
    thanks

Register To Comment