Register To Comment
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Graupner motors

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver
    Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.

You can run two 12v drills on 18v with a 30a Electronize ESC very happily, as we do. I'd recommend the Electronize as they're rugged as hell and they'll tolerate small mistakes.

@ Gary that made me laugh so much haha

Are you using normal drill motors or not?

Right. I am going to try and make this as clear as possible, my previous post obviously wasn't.

will i need more than 85amp?
    No. 85A is plenty to take 4 drill motors running on 18v.

I'm thinking of either dewalt hammer drills (which i found out that the motors of the b&q 14.4v one would be fine and i.would just need a new gearbox)

Dewalt motors are odd shapes. It is very unlikely they will fit the cheap gearbox.

Adding other motor to another gearbox is complicating things (trust me, I've had to because I had no choice), and its also pointless when you can buy a ready made unit (Argos/B&Q normal drills)

maybe graupner motors

Not yet. Get a working robot before you upgrade.

doubt they will pull over 85amp but i could always get a 190-200amp hobbyking http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 5FESC.html
    i would need 4 i think
    and i would have to hack them brushed to brushless

These ESC's are for brushless motors. YOU cannot hack them to become brushed motor ESC's. AFAIK there is only one roboteer that can, and he is a lot smarter than you (and me for that matter).

As far as speed controllers are concerned, buy a speed controller that is SUGGESTED to you. We suggest them because they have been proven in combat.

It is not a good idea to buy something, blow it up and then buy one that does work. Better to go with what is known to work already.

The Botbitz 85A controllers (2 of) will run 4 standard drills at 18v without any problems.
    If you plan to use 2, 12v drills at 18v, the 25A will do fine.

I hope this helps.

i completely understand
    i.will build a drill motor robot and after kidiminster i may.change the motors.
    IS THAT CLEAR.
    i am following your advice, but if i waste £80-90 on electronize and then have to buy botbitz that's an expensive waste.
    I'm sorry but i have said its drill motors all the way for my first.
    that's what you said isn't it.
    anyways back to my question.
    are 4 drill motors more powerful than 2 speed 900s?
    i would only use graupners.and that my second.
    please try and understand that cos i understand you lot aswel

Quote Originally Posted by archie2000
    i completely understand
    anyways back to my question.
    are 4 drill motors more powerful than 2 speed 900s?
    If you would have understood, you wouldn't have asked this question.

I'll try again.

Depends on drills. Some drills -on paper- will draw more power, meaning those are more powerfull.

On the other hand, motors have a few things that make them better or not.

As a rule, bigger diameter and/or stronger magnets equals more torque for a given volt/amp draw. But a lower RPM per volt.
    A speed 900 has a diameter of 50mm+, a cheap brand of drill will have a motordiameter of 36mm. Just to demonstrate. A 900 weights 660 grams+, a cheap drillmotor with gearbox weights less than 600 grams.

Build quality is another matter. You can imagine a £12 drill will have less quality materials than a simular sized drill from a quality brand.

And of course, you can use the most powerfull motors in a machine, but if the shape is wrong, it doesn't matter.
    A robot with Bosch 35 drives getting under will outperform a 6 Speed 900 propelled monster.

thanks maddox thats great.
    i now have all my information for my build.
    i will stop asking silly questions.
    i will talk to my parents about what they think.
    i will get a good design.
    i will use simple and tested components.
    i will take it to robots live in october.
    i will learn something form the experience.
    i will ask hopefully less stupid questions.
    i will follow advice on how to improve my drill bot.
    thanks everyone.
    only problem now is speed controll.
    botbitz 85amp would be great for my drill bot and when i improve it.
    but my mum and dad say ordering from abroad is a waste of money on tax and stuff like that.
    (if it was down to me i would have about 5 featherweights now)
    another option (which dave didnt reccommend so its probarbly bad) is get the vantec and take off the heat sink, because with it it weighs 1.1kg.
    satans mutt used a vantec/roboteq (sorry i get really confused with those two)
    but if i can i will get botbitz.

There are 2 types of Vantecs, there is the standard one and a mini one. Satan's Mutt (and I think Ploughbot) use the mini version designed for High power FW's/American LW's. The Vantec for sale is the HW version.

The case/heatsink is on most speedo for a reason, it's not advised to remove it.

I suggested the botbitz 85a controllers for 2 reasons: 1: If you bought them now then you wouldn't need to upgrade your speedos if and when you upgrade to Speed 900's, and 2: I don't like Electronize speedos :P. I've seen a fair few broken ones with the relay broken, and their response is far too slow for my liking.

Electronize will drive 4 drills (see Tormenta), but to save a bit of money in the long run to buy botbitz 85A ones. Just my opinion.

Oh, BTW, the shipping and tax ordering from Australia (botbitz) is far cheaper than ordering from the states for whatever reason.

Register To Comment