Register To Comment
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooden Robot Class

@Dave, haha just because you don't do things by halves! By all means people can make full on spinning robots, they just can't run in non-full combat arenas.

Axe's would be fine. I'm just thinking about running in arena's other than RoboChallange. Like I said earlier, there is a clear and quite profound difference between a 6kg bit of Hardox spinning at several thousand RPM as a weapon, and a circular saw and it's this distinction I'm trying to define. As axe's are currently allowed in all arena's I saw they're good to go!

In continuation of trying to increase safety and 'Rotating' weapons in non-full combat arenas I'm suggesting we reduce the amount of metal on the outside of the robot since this could be a hazard. A scoop/wedge, although arguably a weapon, is quite a large chunk of metal to have on the outside of your bot, and for this reason I would see fit to not allow it. Besides you can make a scoop/wedge out if wood easy-peasy!

The general outcome of a build should be to be fair, not to undermine or bend the rules. By all means be interesting and innovative, but this is a community thing and someone who builds something with a somewhat tentative grasp of the rules will only be disfavored by the other builders.

i think if we had spinning weapons, they should be limited to under a certain size/ weight and some meterials (ie, no hardox or ti weapons)

As for restricting materials, limiting it to something like mdf would be best because some old roofing joists that I have lying around would be nigh on indestructible to a slow spinner and most weapons that could be successfully build in this class (sorry Alex )
    was that for my ears?

mdf will be fine at the end of the day they will be in an arena and i doubt there will huge cluds of dust....plus from what the wood workshop guy says at my uni theres no actually proof mdf is hafmful to health but the dust isnt nice either way (btw i still wear a mask)

your getting too serious about all this.....it started off as a bit of fun and i quite liked the concept but you will start implementing silly rules that will ruin it before it starts. I have a radical Idea to throw into the mix........

A wood robot should be wood only. thats the point....a wooden robot class
    Robots dont have a weight limit but instead a size limit. Say 15inch wide by 20 long. and robots have to be this size...all of em.
    The widest point 15 inch....the longest 20.
    I am sure a good imagination can create some wierd and wonderful concepts only made from wood.
    Spinners weapons made from wood. the clatter and smashy of them will creat some good damage.
    Spinners run on pully systems using v-belts.
    obviously some metal will have to be used i.e. motormounts and weapon mounts but a real minimal.

a size limit rather than a weight limit would free the mind to creat something good. the size will keep the weight down naturally. I would be tempted to build one but not with all the build rules you will run away with. keep it simple keep it fun.

Just my 2 pence worth anyway......carry on lads.

i got a spare FW pneumatic system, what about a flipper?

Limitation to wood makes decent flippers impractical, Explosion needs the hardox base and flipper to hold itself together, a wood arm would just snap

It's only LP but probably wouldnt work, wooden spinner may work though

Quote Originally Posted by Team Invade
    Limitation to wood makes decent flippers impractical, Explosion needs the hardox base and flipper to hold itself together, a wood arm would just snap
    Well there's currently nothing in the imaginary rules (that is unless you start to win everything :wink to say that you can't have internal metal so you could have some to hold the flipper as it's part of your weapon.

Simple rules work best, Wood robots.
    The armour and chassis is made of wood. the motor mounts and protection for speed controllers can be made of metal, but not arranged in a way that makes a chassis or part of the armour,
    Weapons what ever you like, as long as they are either made of wood or use wood working tools or cutting blades you can buy off the shelf. e.g. saws, saw blades, chisels (fixed or activated via an axe arm) drills abrasive discs (this one I like ) If the wood working tools have handles that are redundant these can be removed but the efectiveness of the weapon must not be enhanced.
    So to summarise

1/ all wood except for the obvious
    2/ weapon = wood or wood working tool
    3/ maximum weight 13.6kg

So we could have things like saw blades? or even angle grinders?

If this is ok with the EO's then try it out at portsmoth and Kidderminster?

Register To Comment