Register To Comment
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Team Microbots Build Diary

Do be aware that you run the risk of killing the gearboxes if you overvolt. It's not as extreme as our overvolting was, but 18v motors have way more torque at nominal voltage; the pins are likely to fail!

Gimson GR-02 motors are rated at 6-25v. Failing that, they do sell 24v ones.

By pins I don't mean the motors, the motors themselves will take 6s no problem, I mean the subsequent power they will put out will most likely cause the gearboxes to fail. This type of gearbox has plates that have pins on them, on which the gears spin. The second set of pins are under major stress from the torque of a motor, and in our experience (and endless examples of the same over the years) the monstrous torque produced by an overvolted motor causes them to loosen and literally fall out of their position. 8/10 times this will lock up the gearbox, quite possibly strip several gears, and if the motor continues to receive power for long after being unable to move it will burn out.

If more speed is what you're after, I'd recommend doing the conversion of 36:1 to 24:1. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis
    If more speed is what you're after, I'd recommend doing the conversion of 36:1 to 24:1.
    No need, I intend to buy 24:1 GR02s.

Quote Originally Posted by MicroGravity100
    PS. Someone fix that damn YouTube embedding problem, it's driving me mad!
    What embedding problem? :P

I think that's what you call a 'user error'....

In all fairness though, it is a very specific YouTube URL you need for the embed to work.

Ricochet ready for the NEC, just awaiting the LiPo's delivery.

Lovely bit of 3.2mm hardox to be mounted on the front, courtesy of Mario (again, thanks for putting up with my incapability to do anything for myself!)
    Last edited by Revsmin; 9th April 2013 at 15:19.

A bit of progress on Skyfall:

I should have the drive rigged up for a test soon, watch this space
    Last edited by Revsmin; 9th April 2013 at 15:24.

Looking good, very nicely made is there any reason the flipper's so steep though? It does seem to my untrained eyes that it wouldn't be as good at wedging under people as a shallower weapon would be (thinking about how effective the Beautys were at the championships)...

Joey, it's the ram. It's 100 stroke * 50 bore.

Register To Comment