Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jonny, Jack and Harry's featherweight clusterbot

hi this is the build diary for our clusterbot.

if robochallenge don't get back to me i'll send them another email after champs. been to homebase and bettahomes today and bought a load of screws and a countersink so i'll start work soon

i think thats up to the E.O's, however i would think we could just connect them together with gaffa tape? Gemeni was under the robot wars rules remember, so each event will be different, i seem to remember there was a typhoon cluster at some point and they used some velcro or something...

seeing as this is official now (long title XD) i may as well start my end of the build diary, no pictures to be uploaded yet, but i can give you the basic lowdown.

The other day i went into homebase and got loads of fixings, screws, etc. i also got my hands on some tinsnips which are great seeing as my last pair was taped to TMG at maidstone and got crushed by Major Damage (thanks again Tom...) seeing as its a Three way cluster i suppose we have about 4kg or so each (allowing for variation) so the challenge will be getting it so lightweight yet effective. i decided to base it on the same principals as TMG, small, lightweight, compact, rugged. easier said than done, but i drew up some basic CAD (cupcake aided design) drawings and im now looking at building something similar in shape to the origional Monolith built by Remote Control Dave and Marco Roberts, i doubt it will have a weapon (perhaps some type of thwackbot style arm) but it should fly pretty well! i dug out some 120mm blue wheels from my collection and some Drill motors from the old TMG, which is looking slightly worse for wear after its last encounter with major damage (Tracks, then hammer, then claw, then hammer again, then arena flipper, then OOTA...funfunfun!) and some ESC's out of Ministrom (which needs some TLC but should be done with a weekends work) im now on the isle of wights rebuilding Antweights and things so cant really do alot until i get back, so nothing more from me until after easter!

Gizz: i seem to recall the size limit for featherweights was something like 2 meters so i think we are in the clear there
    Jack

work happended today, lots of it. here's a picture of how my part of the clusterbot looks:

it is made from 10mm hdpe and 2.5mm aluminium. current weight: 2.6kg inc motors which gives me 1.9kg approx for a lid, esc(s), battery and all the other bits and bobs

Register To Comment