Register To Comment
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oddestsey II: Return to Odd

Chapter 4

Loading everything together into two of the spider-like vehicles the party sets off along the river. One vehicle has the Baron, Brutus (taking up two seats) Dirge and Cerberus. In the other; Vengeance, Frank, Tarein and Perry.

After a last look at their first home in this strange world, they move out onto the ice. Despite looking somewhat ungainly the vehicles quickly prove their abilities: the feet on the legs are wide but barbed, spreading their weight while giving them excellent traction and steer far better than either of the drivers had anticipated. Somehow the river seems to have frozen right down to its bed, and peering out of the capsule they not only see the lumber lodged into the ground, but fish seemingly frozen solid in mid movement. There is almost certainly something unnatural, although what is a mystery.

They make quick progress and within half an hour they pass the next cabin, slightly smaller than the previous one but otherwise it seems doubtful that it has any provisions further than they already have.

As they pass down the river, they pass a particularly unusual site - the corpse of a bear, frozen solid as it dived into the river - even the splashes it was making seem to have formed some elaborate sculpture as if literally frozen in time.

They travel on further, passing two further huts, one seemingly in ruins, and the entire party suddenly feel sick - Frank recognises it as similar to the site of the Suckers disappearance, but far grander in scale€¦ They move on as quickly as they can€¦

Finally, a beeping from the PDA signals that they are seemingly at the destination, yet to the party it seems if they are still in the centre of the icebound forest. However, upon one banks is the shell of a snail. The shell itself if huge and ancient looking, being perhaps 20ft high with a ten foot diameter opening. Outside the entrance is stuck a pole with some long black and gold ribbons tied to it that flail wildly in the north wind.

All the party can hear is the sounds of the forest - the creaky of the trees, the odd bird and the squeaking of the ice beneath their vehicles, yet a smell on the wind is filled with the rich scent of cinnamon, cloves and other spices and some kind of delicious smelling roast meat€¦

wanna try something, dunno if it will work

Perry controls cold, he can add cold, but Im not sure if he can also ABSORB cold. I wanna go to one of those random frozen fishes and try it out, see if I can free him.

Perry concentrates upon the nearest fish he can see in the river, in this case a pike. It takes a lot more concentration than making it colder , but eventually after a few minutes he manages to create a small pocket of water around the fish and it swims around angrily, still trapped a meter beneath the ice.

Trying it again on a shoal of what appear to be stickleback it seems smaller fish arent able to survive the process (or perhaps werent able to be put in suspended animation as well as the bigger fish and they simple float around dead.

Looking at the rest of the base of the river, perry spots something golden shimmerign in the deep ice...

Baron Update:

-Still interested in turning a hot air balloon into a weapon...

quote:

Looking at the rest of the base of the river, perry spots something golden shimmerign in the deep ice...

Aaron?

Im gonna ask the Baron for some support here. His flame throwing katana should be able to melt most of the ice with less effort than my powers. But since I dont wanna damage the golden... thing, I prupose I take care of the last bit of melting since my powers are cleaner than a flame throwing katana is. I badly wanna see what this golden artifact might be.

How about it Aaron?

Baron Update:

- Consider it done.

Brutus wonders over to the snail shell and inspects it carefully with katana and wired reflexes on stand by.

After following their plan through, Perry dives into the water and extracts what appears to be an odd looking golden fish.

To both their surprises, the fish begins to talk to them.

Thank you kind sirs, Im ever so greatful for your freeing me of the ghastly icy imprisonment, it truely was most horrible.
    The fish suddenly stops, aware that it is beign stared at by the Baron andthe Penguin.
    Oh excuse me, sorry, I must introduce myself, wherever are my manners? I am....
    The following sound is rather bizarre and very much unpronounceable. After a brief uncomfortable pause it somehow manages to look embarrassed again.
    Im sorry I forgot your tongues dont work the same way.... errr... well call me Balthazaar, Ive used it before when Ive met surface dwellers.... Anyway, I am infact a magic fish, and although my powers are somewhat depleted right now, I am still parly to great knowledge! Oh yes. Anyway, each of you can ask me three questions, as long as the answer is within this world, anythign you like. I would give you more but the Guild of Wishgranting Beasts might revoke my membership if I do, dreadfully sorry, anyway, yes, you Fowl of the cold sea and you, Lord of sitructive scienve may ask me three questions each....errr... Im repeating myself rent I, oh dear, this whole experience has put me in quite the tiz... You may confer with your companions if you so wish but dont feel obliged too

Meanwhile Brutus inspects the huge shell, inside the opening there are arrows carved poiting in, and some strange writing that doesnt look at all familiar. It would also seem that all the devlicious smells are coming from within.

regroup, in the village, take the golden fish with us, and think of our questions

thats what Id do

ok guys, what 3 questions does everyone think we should ask the golden fish?

Register To Comment