Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so what would be actually classed as a true walker?

I no its most likely been discussed before, but am i right in thinking that anarchy off rw series 6 wouldnt be classed as a walker anymore?

Are there any examples about which would be ok and allow the double weight limit

Cheers for now

2 independent axis of movement on each leg (must be able to demonstrate both axis independently) and it must hold it's entire weight at all times

Wow I didn't realize I'd kill this conversation so quickly!

Haha,

so something like craigs walking spider thingy, is that mechanusm classed as a true walker? Id say yes?

Actually no, because although it looks really good, it is in fact 1 crankshaft supplying the movement so it cant perform 1 axis independently.

Talk about making it difficult! I see that as a walker thou so you can see my confusion lol, do you no of any good examples/robots out there that are a walker

Well if you want a full 100% extra weight allowance against other machines then it shouldn't be easy!

It's wrong to think about it as a vertical and lateral motion problem as Craigs machine actually has both movements. You should think about it as axis of motion. Nothing wrong with using crank mechanisms however because there is only a single mechanism, it can't have 2 seperate axis.

For a true walker you need to have 2 demonstratable axis that are completely independent of one another. It then becomes a challenge syncronising these two axis to give you the walking motion.

"Each leg must have at least 2 degrees of freedom"

I'm not sure if the actual wording of the rules has changed since I last looked, but I remember it sounding a lot more complicated than that. The ambiguity is still there though I would say. Would two degrees of freedom mean independent from each other leg or two degrees of freedom combined? I would say Pilgrim fulfilled that, i'm not sure about Spiderbot though, its been a while since I looked at it.

I think everyone knows this rule is not one I agree with, however it was voted on, and a majority of Roboteers agreed with it and so like all rules it should be observed.
    It dose put both Spiderbot and Pilgrim in the cambot category but they are not fighting robots so it doesn't matter.

The rule is from my perspective too restricting, to make a mechanism that has 2 degrees of movement and would stand up to the fighting environment is almost impossible, to those that would differ on this point my response is obvious, show me one example of a mechanism that would satisfy the requirements of this rule, that has won a fighting robots type fight!
    Perhaps there is one but I can't think of one example.

The rule of double the weight for walkers has scared people into making a rule set that is in practice impossible to successfully satisfy. my justification for the statement is based on the number of fighting walkers on the robot scene today.

I have come to terms with the notion that competitive walking fighting robots are not going to happen, and I am satisfied with the ones I have.

With life in general things don't always happen the way you would like, some things you can change and others you can't, peace of mind comes when you learn to discern the difference.

This is an argument lost and I am happy to acknowledge the fact.

Register To Comment