Register To Comment
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Build Rules 2011

Prehaps those crushers, clampers and axes might get built more if there was more help towards making them?
    I don't follow? There isn't a lack of help with anything as far as I'm aware as the forum is very good at answer questions.

But you don't need a lathe or mill to make a crusher or axe. Ideally you should have access to one with a spinner and yet there are more of those around.

read on here their boring or should be banned.
    Sure but it doesn't get away from the fact that I think they are.

How cant you find boner exciting? Damage and impact were 2 of the most exciting things about robot wars, boner covers both of them.
    Using boner as an example, look at the reaction you get from the roboteers and crowd watching when boner hits another robot smashing it up into the air and throwing robots out of the arena, Thats a reaction you dont get when its a box on the offensive.

tom please, you dont need to explain to me what i find an exciting robot. You own one of my old machines of course. I said before i'm more interested in how far my robot gets than how much i please a crowd as im personally not the E.O. If im watching then yes i wanna see damage, mayhem etc... but im also talking from a competing point of view, i aint their to please a crowd, they dont pay my build or repair costs. I have watched all the vids of the event on youtube numerous times and it did nothing for me. I like to fight a robot that has a great risk of smashing me up.

from the vids i watched i found it not exciting (boring is a bit harsh), it was limiting on damage. it looks very creative and unique looking so fair play for gary for his creativeness, looks nice but that doesnt mean i found it exciting to watch. i saw damage to hdpe but my 5mm steel electric lifting wedge would push it all over the place with ease in my opinion.

Exciting is LS4,360,hornet,Savage evo to name a few. any robot that stands up to these is also exciting for me whether its a box, flipper

is their a problem to voicing your opinions on another robot on this forum??

you obviously never heard the reaction when my wedge hit hornet full on and ended up with hornet out the arena or being hit by ls2 numerous times before pushing it in the pit.I have a vids of these somewhere if interested in hearing the crowd shouting pit! pit! pit!

Wedges are boring when theirs alot in one fight, i understand that. But also alot of flippers is aswell. it would be good to hear what so called box owners think on this.

this event was very bad timing for me as well as way too far, (baby on the way etc......) hopefully at robochallenges next event i will prove my point that wedges are worthy competitors, mine has a electric lifter but thats for my advantage not a crowd pleaser.
    i have gone back to a reliable old design but added a electric lifter as all i want to do is win, nothing else otherwise i wouldnt of sold u savage evo

i'm more interested in how far my robot gets than how much i please a crowd
    We have very different aims at a competition

As someone who has only built boxes so far, I would say that, for excitement against a destructive weapon, boxes are a good choice. By their very nature, boxes (mine seem be exceptions) are usually very solid and reasonably cheap, meaning that their drivers have less of an issue driving straight in to a spinner, thus creating lots of noise and pretty sparks. I personally, especially in whiteboards, love to see my robot smacking into a spinner, because I have built it so that the expensive bits are untouchable (touch wood), and love to see the carnage, even if it does result in the utter mullering it took from Boner at the champs. The beauty of a box is that it's simplicity means that you can repair it quite easily after a big spinner hit, and throw it in again almost straight away, meaning that there is more damage and spectacle for the audience. So basically my argument is; don't take action to reduce the number of boxes, or ban them, as they make nice cannon fodder.

Register To Comment