Register To Comment
Page 73 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: RogueTwo Robots

Ooft, couldn't tell you off the top of my head I'm afraid, but I'd probably say around 750g-1kg. It's on a 5:1 reduction with a 300W scooter motor and it seems to be a good ratio.

Update

Got my hands on the final part of what has so far been a ridiculously expensive jigsaw puzzle. Woo, Banebots:

Decided to go for a complete spare setup in the end should a motor/gearbox fail. The only things left to order are little bits & pieces such as a new polycarb top, more wire and a new lipo bag, so it's time to start putting everything together at last. I'll be making a start tomorrow and hope to have it up to a rolling chassis (if not more) by the end of the weekend. Beginning to wish I had the new drum to go with all the rest of it but that'll just have to wait til next time.

More photos to follow over the weekend.

And today I was attacking my shiny Banebots gearbox's with a lyncher!

I attacked mine with a drill and tap today but they still look shiny enough

Update

Got a bit more work done on the chassis today. Finished all the principal milling work, which has been the biggest time consumer so far, and while it's a bit dodgy looking in places, it's not bad for a first attempt and much more accurate than anything I've previously built.

Also got all the holes drilled, including the ones for the drum shaft:

This ended up not being as straightforward as I had expected since the biggest size I could drill it out to with my normal drill bits was 13mm, then it was a jump up to 17mm. Lots of coolant and slow-feeding was required. They look a bit rough but they won't be seen so it's not a problem

To cut out the holes for the Banebots gearboxes, I chain drilled the majority of the material off then cleaned it with the mill. Again there are a couple of bits that are mistakes (mostly me turning the axis handle the wrong way and munching into the corners) but overall they're a pretty snug fit:

Next up was drilling the holes for the bolts that will secure the gearboxes in place. The clearance holes for the tops of the cap head screws are right on the edge of the material so it ate into the sides a little on the way down but they'll be hidden by the wheels (so far making all the mistakes in places where they won't be seen )

And the last order of the day was to strike a Pretend-O-Bot™ pose to see how it was looking:

Doesn't really look like much for the amount of time spent on it but the milling is what takes the time. Now that that's done, it should start to go together more quickly. Tomorrow's aims are to get the chassis bolted together, fit the baseplate and start rebuilding the drum assembly.

I'm really liking the look of all of these milled aluminium robots, looking very nice

Nice work jamie, howa you finding the milling machine? Would you recommend one? Watching your build with interest

Register To Comment