Register To Comment
Page 51 of 91 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: RogueTwo Robots

No probs, will bring 'em to the champs.

it's looking less and less likely that i'll be at the champs sadly but i'll get them off you the next time i see you

o and you could go for a single tooth config with the bar teeth. Have a quarter of the bar on either side with a half in the center on the opposite side. Dynamically and statically balanced and deadly

Oooh, that's a possibility *ponders*
    I'll have to think it through, as the hardox bars make up a fair bit of the weight of the drum and with a (--__--) configuration, I'd effectively be taking one of the bars off. Will check the weight of them next time I'm in the workshop and have a think.

And I've got tonnes of jiffy bags kicking about and remember your address, so I'll just stick those endcaps in a bag and mail them to you.

Good point although it's always better to have an effective energy delivery system with a lower kinetic energy than a higher kinetic energy but poorer delivery system.

Update

In the end I just decided to stick with the two teeth rather than splitting them up. Welded the bars in place, but despite trying to get them welded on 180° apart, the drum still seemed to be heavy on one side and attempts to balance it out with angle grinding didn't work too well. So tried the swiss-cheese approach and it now seems to run quite smoothly (still a little bit of vibration but not enough to affect the control)
    And yes, I know my welding's pish:

Also welded on some pointy bits (6mm steel) to stop the robot from resting on its side or its back if it gets flipped or does a gyro-dance. The welding was a little better here:

Going to move on to testing now, see if that flags up any weaknesses, and then pull everything apart to check every connector, screw, joint etc. It'll then get re-assembled in preparation for the champs and given a coat of paint. After that, it'll be completely done

And if you work in a confined space, don't spend hours angle grinding bits of metal. Took me three hours tonight to remove the layer of metal dust that had attached itself to everything!

Shame your 3 tooth drum didn't work out, it looked very neat and deadly.

make the drum longer and go back to a 4 tooth backbite drum

haha jamie you'll soon learn to aim your grinding sparks into a designated corner of your shed rather than just any direction :P

looking through this wants me to get my spinner on the go (Y)

Haha, I do generally aim the sparks into the one bare corner of the workshop, but because it's only an 8' x 6' shed, the metal dust created just settles everywhere. Most of the grinding's done now and the weather's getting better so no need to mess up my precious shed again

After the champs I plan on cutting/grinding the teeth off that drum, getting another tooth made and going back to a 4-tooth drum. A wider drum would need a new chassis though, and having just spent ages getting this one done, that's something I'm not prepared to do yet. The current drum length will be fine anyway, I can just stick the two middle teeth together to make one thick tooth in the middle and two on the ends.

Register To Comment