Register To Comment
Page 5 of 96 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Kilobots - 1.362kg (3 lbs) Combat Robots

I don't see the difference between engineering a featherweight weapon and a heavyweight weapon apart from the size difference. Old skool heavyweight style weapons are the ones to look at if you don't have much spare cash or engineering skill. A spike on a pneumatic ram? An angle grinder gearbox and disc attached to a bosch 400? Its been forever since I last saw a chainsaw on a heavyweight! And they are the style of weapon that is good to watch but doesn't do much damage.

Since the featherweights have been brought into line with the USA how many machines have made the trek in either direction? None that I'm aware of. Build to a kilo, a nice easy weight to remember and build to.

Anyway, with 1kg we match up with the Canadians

Also, any weight bonuses for non rollers and is a full body drum spinner a bit crazy?

Gary i really like the active weapon idea too but there could be some cool thwack bots and stuff. I kinda just wanna see a mini saint... I dont think many people will build just a box on wheels.
    we need some people to build vert spinners, crushers, flippers, lifters, and axes, would be nice to see a clusterbot too.

I don't disagree that robots like the saint are entertaining to watch I just dont want to see another weight limit filled with your standard 4wd rammer bots. I think you could get around it by stating that robots must have an active weapon or a visible static weapon that is in the spirit of an active weapon (more than just a box on wheels)

The spirit part could be left down to the discretion of judges or fellow combatants.

What if we just dead leg everyone that shows up with a box on wheels?

Ye thats a good idea Gary

Quote Originally Posted by xtreme
    Gary i really like the active weapon idea too but there could be some cool thwack bots and stuff. I kinda just wanna see a mini saint... I dont think many people will build just a box on wheels.
    we need some people to build vert spinners, crushers, flippers, lifters, and axes, would be nice to see a clusterbot too.
    What is the point of creating visually interesting robots when someone is going to create some dull off - box with an overpowered flywheel and destroy it?

Nail that question and the sport is sorted.

What is the point of creating visually interesting robots when someone is going to create some dull off - box with an overpowered flywheel and destroy it?

Nail that question and the sport is sorted.
    You are completely missing the point of this sport! The sport would be sorted if no-one caused anyone with a good looking robot any damage? That's the POINT of this sport! If you don't want damage, don't join in!

I don't see the difference between engineering a featherweight weapon and a heavyweight weapon apart from the size difference
    Gary, you've seen my featherweights....lol. Engineering weapons in general is not my strong point. However, I'd be quite happy with the rule in this new weight category cos it's easy enough to put a weapon on robot weighing a kilo.

Quote Originally Posted by dgr
    You are completely missing the point of this sport! The sport would be sorted if no-one caused anyone with a good looking robot any damage? That's the POINT of this sport! If you don't want damage, don't join in!
    Damage does come into it but trivializing like that you may as well say the POINT of boxing is to knock to your opponent into a coma!

It isn't, it's to win the fight, in both cases. A fight win was, back in the day, determined by style, control, damage and agression. How much effort was put in, how many opportunities were missed, how skillful people were with the controls, damage done and taken. Now I can't particularly much say any of the other three categories matter anymore.

Not only is this sport in general a sheer learning curve for a lot of newcomers, there are veterans out there who have machines that can pretty much insure they leave with the parts they started off with.

Damage was ALWAYS the overriding factor from the very beginning of Robot Wars. If someone caused more damage to their opponent, they won the fight.
    Anyway, I don't really get your point. You say damage is now the only factor in battles, yet we have much LESS damage now than they did on Robot Wars, due to the lack of full combat events. If you can name me one robot from a veteran whose machine has destroyed its opponents without having any defeats or damage done to itself in recent years, I'd love to hear it, cos I sure as hell can't think of one! No-one is guaranteed to leave with all the parts they started with, this statement just simply isn't true.
    We NEED more full combat events. I reakon 99% of the people who play this game would agree with that statement. The featherweight UK championships in Newcastle last year were fantastic because the spinners finally got to come out to play. My robot was terminally KOed in its first fight and came last out of all the competitors, but you don't here me complaining cos I expect the damage.
    We need a weight class that can be full combat all the time, not just under special circumstances. This could be it, like antweights, but without all the drop-off zone stuff that makes people favour wedges.
    And I go back to my original comment, if you don't want damage then don't build a robot!

Register To Comment