Register To Comment
Page 5 of 105 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: 360 - mini hypnodisc

You evil b*****d

Hope it goes well though, could be fun to watch
    Just hope I'm not on the receiving end :shock:

Not updated this in ages..

Not really been motivated for a while with robot stuff.. since the tag team champs i havnt really been bothered to touch 360, (the tool box is still in my boot) Or get Ed to get onto the CNC for me as we had a previous team member pass away. Sorta changed our perspective of the hobby abit i think.

Anyhow, Due to the new materials being mega tuff, ive had to get Kenny to machine me a new disc rim as hes got access to some pretty good carbide tips. The disc is still being finnished off at the moment.

Its 16mm thick (up from 11.5) and will weigh about 500grams more.. The teeth will be 6mm thick. (chamfered down from the original 16mm)

Its made from P20 tool steel and is going to be nitride coated. The disc rim is costing me a bomb, so im kinda hoping its all going to pay of and be the first disc on a feather to slice through hardox. On paper nitride coated P20 should go through hardox as its double the rockwell rating... plus the fact its got 5kg behind it traveling at about 4000rpm.. The old hardox rim did cut through hardox just about.. but thats not really good enough for me.

Pics curtasy of kenny soon

Still no progress on the self-righter...

And yes the new disc will have the spiral ..

CAD

Centre droped- the centre offcut is bigger in diamater then garys new disc is overall :P

Counter bores for mounting to centre are started

The old titanium centre fits snug into the new P20 rim (rim still needs profiling with the chamfer put on- might get kenny to engrave 360 into the teeth aswell, for the added pimp effect lol.

Roboteer

ditto Jamie
    Team Toon:
    Heavyweight UK Champion 2015
    Robot Wars World Annihilator Champion 2015
    Heavyweight Tag Team Champion 2012
    Featherweight UK Champion 2010
    Featherweight Annihilator Champion 2009,2011 & 2014
    Rebel Robots Champion 2009
    Pika Annihilator Champion (Belgium) 2012
    Tanja Trophy Winner 2010
    Team Champions ( Team Barbie) 2011

ditto clive
    its going to end in tears ;(

6mms still too thin dude - go thicker at the tip.....
    should be good when its done

Dave,

Please be aware that when you nitride steel you not only make the surface hard but also more brittle. Personally I would expect any sharp edges you have on the disc teeth to chip when it comes into contact with something like hardox. It will probably give off some nice sparks though. After all nitriding is designed to protect components from wear not impact. Just my opinion.

Ian.

all the edges will have a radius

Even the tip of the teeth? Thats where he means will chip off.
    I'm not sure what that P20 materials like, but I would expect the tips still to chip off pretty quickly - although if the nitride coating is only done really thin it wont matter anyway as that tip would have dented off (or with 6mm thick tip folded off ).

The teeth will have a 1mm radius on the very tip, not much just to stop abit of wear..

Still got some time to think about hardening and stuff yet as the rims still not finnished..

Little spinners teeth at the last event were case hardened P20.. when they hit satanix they dug about 5mm into the mild steel then snaped there own titanium bar/disc... the p20 didnt even scuff.

P20 would work nicely without any treatment.. The nitride would only be a thin coating.. Not thick enough to make it brittle. just tuffer. I might case harden then..

Im deffo keeping the teeth at 6mm thick. any thicker then the entire purpose of this disc is pointless (it was designed to slice hardox- any thicker and it wont- i mayaswell of kept the old rim, if it breaks in the process.. then so be it) Has anyone got any hardening/casing suggestions?

Register To Comment