Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally!

Hello, Andre, welcome to the forum!

If you are looking for Fantasy Robot Wars, or FRW, the tournament itself is quite finished, but there are some fanfic tournaments on here that are running. They are already well underway, but you can give predictions for them.

You must first post some vapourbots (fiction robots) up, preferably in the How Could I Improve? thread, and we will comment on them. When a new tournament pops up, then you can enter.

Enjoy your stay!

Hello Andre!

Funny you mention the name fantasy robot wars, where did you hear this, and how did you find this place?
    In this place several tournaments are ran where you can enter fantasy robots (robots you invent yourself, and you dont need to actually buy parts, or assemble them ). You need to tell what the robot is like as detailed as you can. This is hard for most newcomers, which is why we have a How Could I Improve?-thread. Just think up a robot you like, describe it, and let the veterans criticise it .

First, you have to find a tournament that hasnt been filled up. Unfortunately, there arent any at the moment, but if you want to enter what we call vapourbots instead of real robots, you can use the time to design some good vapourbots. Come up with a design, post it in the Help me improve thread, and more experienced vapourboteers will point out where you could go better.

Vapourbots are machines that dont exist in the real world. You design them like you might design a role-playing character. Typically, youll need the following stats:

Name
    Shape
    Weapon
    Armour
    Drive
    Srimech

^ Those are the absolute bare minimum.

Good choices of armour include:

Aluminium - Very lightweight, not very strong. Generally should only be used in areas not likely to be attacked, such as the base plate. The lightness will allow you to use additional weight elsewhere.

Titanium - Think of it as a heavier, but stronger version of Aluminium. This is good enough to use in areas that will likely be attacked, but heavy spinners can get through it.

Hardox - A type of steel. Very strong, but also very heavy. The good news is, you wont need very thick hardox to protect very well against spinners, however it doesnt come any thinner than around 3.5 mm.

Polycarbonate/Polypropelene - Lightweight bulletproof plastics. Not recommended as your entire armour, but you can put a layer on top of better armour to give a little more protection.

Some decent driver motors are:

MagMoters - Most commonly used are S28-150 or S28-400. Theyre light, reliable and reasonably powerful on 24 volts.

Lem 130s - As seen on Storm 2, these give you powerful pushing and fast acceleration. Personally, I also like to use them in spinners to provide a fast spin up time.

Eteks - Very heavy, and according to the builder of Tanto not recommended for drive as youll never get the best out of them. They may have some good uses though, I personally never use them.

Weapon power methods are as follows:

Passive - No power, only used for well armoured wedges.

Electric - Either using motors or linear actuators, electric power is best used for spinners, lifters, axes, gripping mechanisms and srimechs.

Pnumatic - Best used in axes and flippers. Systems can use Co2 or nitrogen. Nitrogen gives more power, but expires more quickly and soon loses power. Its a toss up between longevity and a weapon that could end a fight quickly.

Hydraulic - Gives more power than any other system, but also weighs a lot more. Best suited for crushers and lifters.

Hope this lot helps you get started

quote:

Funny you mention the name fantasy robot wars, where did you hear this, and how did you find this place?

Andre comes from the Monster Wrestling Federation (MWF) forums. So having some background with fanfic Id say we have another budding newcomer :-)

Thats very cool Andre, by what name did you go in Fantasy Robot Wars?

Many of us participated in Fantasy Robot Wars too, including myself. Perhaps you remember names such as Steven McGregor, Andy James Jackson and Dave Sheppard from Fantasy Robot Wars? Well they are active here as well.

You have to understand that while Jamie was hosting Fantasy Robot Wars (frw for short), there where more fantasy robot, or vapourbot as we call it, tournaments going on. Those tournaments where a little harder for newcomers to join because there was no stat-system, everyone just has to come up with detailed robot-designs from scratch, hard but very satisfying and it gives you a lot of freedom. Everyone is free to open a tournament and write battles, and once you gain experience I strongly recomend you to do a tournament yourself!

Register To Comment