Register To Comment
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Lithium cell tests

Impressive in the arena - I can imagine scary as [banned] if that happened testing on the bench!

(Message edited by kane on April 28, 200

I take it that those are standard lipo cells and not A123s?

Pretty much every battery we have been known to use is vunerable. LiPo is such a technology that has a lot of power for a very low weight. These things like in Tonys clip can happen, but its not that every lipo used will burst into flames. If handled properly and cared for a lipo is just as safe/unsafe as any other battery. Ive seen them being used and abused in the antweight robots (where i must say some are a bit too reckless there) and in RC helicopters and 99% of the time there is no problem.

A123s just happen to be safer. That doesnt mean using lipos need be unsafe. Just to get some perspective on the case.

I agree with leo there!
    Infact its actually quite difficult to get a lipo to catch fire, especially if they are more than half discharged. That is an unlucky case, but by all means in a robot, and then in an arena which is built to contain it. The fumes are not as dangerous as nicad though.
    General use in pits should be often checked by event organisers, and a roboteer should be asked a few things about the batteries during tech check such as how to dispose of them after a fire or swelling as I know for a fact sme of the antweight lipo users do not have a clue, as demonstrated at RL with an antweight.
    I had to dispose of the battery correctly.
    I have never had a problem, or any form of puffing from lipos over the last 2 years, and i currently own about 10 packs with the smallest being 11.1v 2000mA.
    Although i wouldnt recomend for anyone who has no idea about them, but the biggest problem is that they are sold as a product like everything - they come with most RC models nowadays with no more safety notice than a rechargable battery.

I know the hazards of Li-pos Grant, and I take great care when using them. I agree that I should have bought along a Li-po bag and my metal charging case, and I shall from now on. It was ACCIDENT that caused Baby Hells Li-po to swell up, and I appreciate your help with disposing of it.

Ive learnt my lesson about leaving my robots near the audience, and it wont happen again.

But I resent that generalisation. I have not long used Li-pos, whereas people like Peter Waller and Simon Windisch have used them for much longer and know a lot about them, and their treatment, so dont go saying the antweight roboteers dont have a clue about them.

Now that thats out of my system

Li-po disposal equipment should be provided at all Live Events, Heavy, Feather or Ant. Vharging protection is the roboteers responsibility, but the EOs have an obligation to the safety of all roboteers and audience members to make the event safe, even from other roboteers :P

If you read the FRA Rules regarding them, you should bring all means off disposal and safety with you to an event. I have since day 1.
    Im not generalising, you have kind of proven a point that some people know exactly what to do, and some people dont know until they have had an accident. I wouldnt leave an antweight where memebers of the public can touch them as 1) they may get broken, damaged or turns on and injure someone and 2) they will most likely get taken!!
    Accidents happen, and lipos will at some point go up in flames, so before buying or using them you should atleast know everything about them.

Register To Comment