Register To Comment
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Lithium cell tests

Excuse me? The Aussies have been using A123 for well on to a year now. The first mentioning was in June 2006, and now more and more featherweight teams are using them over there.

And why is it that a LiPo is allowed in a Feather and an A123 isnt? I read this line the same as Woody did, anything heavier than a feather and Lithium rechargeable is not allowed. To me that says ALL Lithium, not just LiPo in particular.

It sounds a bit funky to me that a battery that is inherently unstable would be allowed while a cell that is mechanicly way more stable isnt.

Otto, Im not saying that we should disallow the use of LiPo (yet) but not to allow a battery that is safer is really weird.

I am prepared to leave this topic alone if I hear the from the roboteers involved that they will not be using the extra weight gained from these cells to modify their machines. In other words, replacing the robots current batteries in a like for like swap.

John we have heard this from you already and I thank you.

Please dont get me wrong, I am exceptionally grateful to the teams involved in testing the new cells if they benefit the entire community but as Adrian says, what needs clarifying, is their an unfair advantage

Heres an interesting video showing how much safer the A123 cells are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ayuFBDrSg

Register To Comment