Register To Comment
Page 108 of 168 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1674

Thread: Randomness

I agree.

I am currently living in another country, the czech republic, and was living in the US over the summer. On both occasions I have had to embrace the laws of both nations (there are differences in both cases). Mind you I am not religious

i have seen a horde of football fans using violence does that count?

Karoline, I did write I am also against the Jewish version of arbitration courts. For the same reason as why I am against having the Sharia applied here: religion should not be law.

The reason why you will find not much people protesting it is because the Jews have always been very quiet about this. They have some experience regarding being hunted, which makes them cautious and secretive (Im not condemning that, just stating a historical fact).
    Here in Belgium the most protests you will find on the streets, and usually quite violent to boot, is by Muslim youths. We have the occasional Union protests, and hooligan fights, but aside from that little else violent. When a Belgian newspaper comments on youths attack/fight/protest/steal/rob... it is generally understood that they mean Muslim youths... or more precisely Moroccan youths... which is -alas- the same thing here. Why is this ? Maybe because their original culture is more violent ? But these youths have been born and bred here ? And sometimes their parents too (at least their fathers) ? It shows how strong the original culture of immigrants can remain amongst the offspring. Introducing religious arbitration courts only adds to that. It is one of the other reasons why I find this phenomenon abhorrent.

Historical fact aside, how many people can, in all honesty, remember being confronted by an angry Muslim horde or any horde for that matter?
    I can. The former. And it aint fun.

I havent seen angry Christian hordes in the streets when there was this crucified frog with a loincloth in a museum (although Italian Christians did torch a cinema once because of The Last Temptation of Christ being showed a couple of years ago). But try cartoons of a certain prophet, or a teddy-bear with a certain name, or a book about a child-marriage, or a Pope quoting from a historical speech...

One of the main problems I see is that the law should be the same for everybody. If people have a choice to choose an arbitrator then it should that choice should be available to everybody. You cannot say that muslims cannot choose their own arbitrator who will 9/10 be muslim and therefore be classified as a sharia court by the media.

The problem with civil law is that it allows freedom of choice. If i enter into a contract that says i would be bound by islamic law then thats what im bound by. Nothing in law will stop me being stupid and agreeing to anything put in front of me (unless its enough to prove i am mad or are co-erced - another issue which is just a pandoras box).

Another point i would make is that any decisions made by these courts cannot be contradictary to human rights, criminal or other such laws and their ruling must be fair. This is a protection common to all arbitration.

I actually agree that religious law is generally very poor. Not because it is inherantly poor but because it is open to interpretation. The bible is the bible, the same the world over. This book has spawned many differnt churches, sects and cults which are spawned from the same basic principles and more than one of which follows the bible to the letter (but are fundementally different). The book was not written as a legal document. I dont believe the catholic church should have involvement of running countries just as i dont believe that sharia law should be the law in a country. islamic law is often portrayed as oppressing women and in some forms it does. Christian law is portrayed by the media as being good and wonderful but the failure of the catholic church to acknowldge that preaching abstenance will not stop an aids epedemic and that as soon as people leave church theyre bonking like rabbits has caused many many deaths (yet another pandoras box).

That said Personally I think to protect our basic legal system and to ensure the same law is employed to all, it has to be allowed on the basis that anyone should be allowed to enter into a contract under any terms they like (such as a muslim marriage). If we dont want it then change the legal system.

Andy

Register To Comment