Register To Comment

Thread: "Creep" - Middleweight Walker - First build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Kaizen

Hey there Dan, welcome to the forum! Great to see another potential MW competitor and especially a walker!

How well do you think 60mm x 70mm x 3mm Steel Box Section will withstand to Middleweight weapons? I understand a sheet of 3mm steel might not be great, but box section is very sturdy.
    I used 100x50x3mm as the frame for my previous iteration of my current Middleweight, Jibril and that held up "fine". It took a direct impact from a vertical spinner and yes, it did penetrate but it wasn't terrible, certainly didn't punch a hole all the way through the box section. Its heavy but if you can make it work, it is a very straightforwards building material block to work with.

Which type of weapon system would you think compliments a design like this? I originally considered a couple of big spinners which were angled as armour over the legs and met in the middle above the center of the body, but the only way that would fit would be on a massive heavyweight.
    That honestly is a decision you need to come to on your own, practically any active weapon would work on this but if I was building it, saw arm or lifting mandabels.

Can anyone point me to any events which offer weight bonuses to walkers with 2/3dof. I was originally aiming for a featherweight, but the mini components required which reduce the weight significantly enough are just too expensive. So, I'm looking at squeezing into a middleweight category and using cheap mass produced industrial components from alibaba.com etc.
    So MW/HW events are either Robots Live or Extreme Robots really speaking and they follow the OOB FRA rulings (ref: http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/docu...uild-Rules.pdf). Now in the past it used to be up to double the weight for walkers and 10% for shufflers but rule 2.2 has been changed to be EO specific. For the AW event I run, I typically allow double but I would aim to be as inline as possible with the roller weight limits. Alan and Jonno are quite flexible though (the EOs for Robots Live! and Extreme Robots respectively).

If Creep manages to fit in a middleweight class she'll be a behemoth! With the legs out it's 1.5m long x 1.3m wide!
    Hahahahaha, so long as it can get through the doors, you're good. 130cm I think, from memory, is only just wider than Raphael, another MW competitor.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

That's good to know!

practically any active weapon would work on this but if I was building it, saw arm or lifting mandabels.
    It's funny you should mention lifting mandibles, because I was working on a design last night which had something like this. The idea is to have two fixed forks on the front that almost touch the floor, and a pneumatic spike on the top which crushes down on whatever is on the forks to grab it (and hopefully puncture it), then the hexapod can raises its whole body height lift it slightly off the floor and drag around the bot. It definitely has insect vibes that are really cool!

Creep mandibles 2.png

Creep mandibles.png

I imagine there may be issues of counter balance when lifting, but I only really need to lift the bots very slightly off the ground to be in control. There's also the worry robots won't fit between the front to actually reach the mandibles! It would be nice to have an invert mechanism of some variety, which is why I was also considering a 180 degree hammer/axe, but it might not fit very well with enough reach to hit as far out as the legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    So MW/HW events are either Robots Live or Extreme Robots really speaking and they follow the OOB FRA rulings (ref: http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/docu...uild-Rules.pdf). Now in the past it used to be up to double the weight for walkers and 10% for shufflers but rule 2.2 has been changed to be EO specific. For the AW event I run, I typically allow double but I would aim to be as inline as possible with the roller weight limits. Alan and Jonno are quite flexible though (the EOs for Robots Live! and Extreme Robots respectively).
    Yeah, the double weight limit was epic, but that would make this a heavy in a middleweight group I think I remember seeing a 25% bonus on the Robot Wars reboot rules a few years ago, and a 33% bonus on Robodojo's Beetleweight tournament ruleset posted somewhere around here. So I think you are probably right. I'll aim for no bonus and use 25-33% bonus if it's not possible. That will hopefully be reasonable for event organizers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    Hahahahaha, so long as it can get through the doors, you're good. 130cm I think, from memory, is only just wider than Raphael, another MW competitor.
    Ha I hadn't thought of that! Are they double doors??

Register To Comment