Register To Comment

Thread: (FW)Nibbler- Horizontal Spinner

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So with parts starting to arrive and things starting to happen, I thought I would start a thread for the build of hopefully what will be a horizontal bar spinner. The reason for documenting the build on here is so I can ask for advise from you guys and for you to hopefully catch any beginner mistakes I’m about to make before they happen. Especially considering I’m kind of running before I can walk jumping to a spinner instead going for normal wedge/rambot first. To make sure I don't end up with a half finished robot I plan to first build it as a wedge then add a weapon, so if things do go belly up I should at least have a working wedge robot. Any way here the parts i’m planning on using.

Mechanical
    Armour- 20mm HDPE for sides with 10mm top and bottom
    Wheels- 125mm Nylon wheels with bike tread and hub inserted with Ellis’ melting in a nut method.
    Motor pulley- HTD5 15mm 12 tooth
    Weapon pulley- HTD5 15mm 40 toothed (Giving a ratio of 3.3:1)
    Shaft- 20mm silver steel
    Spinning bar- 500mm*50*15 s7 or hardox. Should weigh about 3kg.
    rectangular metal(attaching bar to body)- 1.5mm 20mmx10mm rectangle aluminum as shown in the cad.
    Bearings- 20mm standard deep groove ball bearings

Electronic

Drive motors- 18volt drill motors (already brought and had the clutch bypassed with grub screws).
    Weapon Motor-NTM Prop Drive 50-60 Series 380KV / 2665W planning to run it on 7s (Should spin the bar at a theoretical 3000RPM after reduction)
    Drive ESCs- 2 x 30 amp ones from Rangle Box
    Weapon ESC- ESC- 125 amp red brick
    Weapon Batteries- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5S1P_40C.html
    plus http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking..._2S1P_40C.html in series to give about 26volts and 3000mAh
    Drive battery- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5S1P_20C.html
    18.5volts + 3000mAh
    Connectors-XT60s

Maths

These are done with the assumption the bar will be at 2500RPM (15% loss from motor)
    Energy-2.2 kj
    Bite(5 mph impact)- 5.5cm (quite good right?)
    Tip speed- 145mph (scary!)
    Questions (sorry there’s a lot)
    Am I completely mad to try and build a spinner with no previous robotics experience?
    Is hardox a good choice for the bar and does the grade matter?
    Could i get away from only having spares of the cheap things e.g bearings/drive motors? What parts are prone to breaking?
    Do brushless motors have mounting holes at the bottom? Is it a good idea to mount only to the bottom, or is supporting both sides a better idea?
    Is the stall current of a drill motor over 30amp? Is the ESC i’ve mentioned be able to handle the stall current or is the Tz85a a better choice?
    Where do people normally buy hardox from? Struggling to find any online sellers that sell something other than digger wear plates.

Cad (minus wheels)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cameron_S; 21st July 2015 at 20:52.

Register To Comment