Register To Comment
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: To the Future

Suvv said: ‘i think specifying the types of machine being made might lead to some people thinking that it is rigged ie the production company feels this type has to win so they constantly stack the deck in its favour type feelings and to be honest i would rather have the freedom to make what i want as it keeps the field open to everyone.’

-I would rather have the freedom to make what I want too but it doesn’t always work that way. TV production companies are only interested in viewing figures. So if they have the freedom to do what they think is best for their viewing figures they are more likely to go forward.

Craig said: ‘I like the idea of there being a limit on costs this has been discussed too many times before and each time you get stuck on the "how to police it" questions if you did have a we buy your robot for £500 people would still spend thousands because for some winning is everything! ‘

- I think the desire to win would be balanced by the knowledge that their machine will be fed into a crusher if they lose. If not, the look on their faces will make great TV.

‘Destruction they will want to see bits of some ones robot fall off.’

- It seems to me that this argues strongly for the price limit. Robots built under this constraint are likely to be less robust.

‘If you can think of an idea for a program format that is cheap to produce, that is different, with interesting machines, a bit of destruction, and variety. Well we may have a winner.’

Varied robots (either by a price cap or production company selection) and on camera destruction of losers appeals to me.

I don't really understand this thread. Robot Wars was immensely popular, Battlebots was immensely popular and now it's back, it's getting several times the viewership it used to get. By the numbers, assuming every single person who watched it originally is also watching now, at least 75% of its viewers are new to it. And everyone is loving it, proven by the countless news outlets writing about it, various TV appearances and gigs about it, social media going nuts, etc.

Sure Battlebots is pricey, but at these viewership numbers (which are very close to matching Robot Wars at its peak) I don't think that's an issue.

With that in mind, why is the idea here generally that the formula is dead? It's as popular as ever. It isn't broken, why in the world does it need to be drastically changed?

Just my 2c.
    Last edited by Ellis; 24th July 2015 at 21:36.

Could it be that we are fed up with the format? The feathers are still exciting and get hundreds of hits when the champ threads roll around but the heavies are month in month out with little diversity over time.

Because it's just flip city with the heavies. We don't need much of a format change we need full combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
    Because it's just flip city with the heavies. We don't need much of a format change we need full combat.
    Yes.

I was talking about TV specifically as that seems to be the current discussion.

I'd like to see a mash-up of Robot Wars and Scrapheap Challenge. Perhaps with less scrap and more time to build.

Love the idea of zones and making modifications to the robot to suit the zone you'll be fighting in. Scrappy Races meets Crystal Maze. Logistically it would be more challenging but it would require adaptability to be designed into the machines. That in turn could have the benefit of keeping things fresh or interesting as you're never fighting with (or against) the same robot each time.

On the flip side, I'd also be happy with a straight shoot me up like the current Battlebits format. Downside of that is said format can get boring after a while, and it could be finished again after a few series depending on how it progresses.

More comments good stuff,

With regard to traditional Robot Wars format, great I don't think personally we will see a Robot Wars series8, the old format may continue in some way this thread is looking at what may occur if there is a new Robot Wars type show. The idea is to storm ideas and not discount anything, hope that helps.

With regard to Feathers, I do believe there is mileage in this, and am surprised some people haven't started up something. I'm thinking of an internet type show done by people with feathers, I would happily join in, a few Go-Pro type cameras, venues as discussed, and do it yourselves. The only thing I would advise is go slow and steady so no full combat on the first few shows and BE SAFE!! anyone interested?
    (If you like it I would ask only you start another thread in the feathers section.)

Comments about feathers great, big robots boring. points raised and understood by all. You've "vented your spleen" now lets move on.

I'm thinking of fight formats

what do you think are the most TV friendly types.

1/ 1 on 1 fight Battle Bots type format.
    2/ 4 or more in the arena together free for all.
    3/ 4 or more in tag teams,
    4/ 4 or more in inhalation comp,
    5/ endurance combat. (remember the shows would be edited)
    6/ endurance combat against unspecified arena enemies. (A sort of Maze runner)
    7/ combat and racing combined, you have to Finnish the race first but you have to stop your opponents anyway you can (Death Race 2 I haven't seen it but that type of thing)
    8/ you think of something!
    Remember I don't want to know what you like but what you think would work best on TV.

Register To Comment