Register To Comment
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Team K.a.L.M.

Get a small piece and hit it with a hammer. If it deforms without breaking, it will be near HDPE, if it shatters its closer to LDPE and if it in between it may have some PET in it too... note: this is all coming from a handout I got in Materials for Designers at uni so its pretty vague :-P

Would be surprised if LDPE is the more shatter prone. Why would lower density be more brittle, surely it'd be even softer and more malleable than a high density variant?

I find that stiffness & brittleness increases as the density goes down. UHMW-PE is softer than HDPE, which is softer than LDPE; sometimes there is very little difference between them. Manufacturers often have variations within each type IE I have some UMHW with a higher melting point and another which has more wear resistance.

EDIT: I found this interesting comparison article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyeth...ene_.28HDPE.29 it makes linear LDPE sound particularly interesting.
    Last edited by overkill; 24th March 2015 at 23:55.

I swung a 4kg hammer at the stuff and it flexes a little but didn't deform.

From what i know, LDPE is easier to break than HDPE.

But yeah, it's more malleable that regular hdpe and therefore screws will get ripped out easier.
    It's because I have tons of it that I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventorizon View Post
    Hit it with a hammer.
    very scientific :P

Then again, that's how a izod/charpy notch test works...

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    Would be surprised if LDPE is the more shatter prone. Why would lower density be more brittle, surely it'd be even softer and more malleable than a high density variant?
    Those chopping boards you used on Tormenta 1 were LDPE, need I say more? ;-) LDPE has shorter polymer chains and as a result breaks more easily as there are less crosses and linkages. (I hope I remembered that right)

Simple solution to the ripped out screws. Ranglebox.

Quote Originally Posted by cavecrusher View Post
    very scientific :P

Then again, that's how a izod/charpy notch test works...
    Large Hadron collider, bash 2 atoms together and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by leorcc View Post
    Large Hadron collider, bash 2 atoms together and see what happens.
    3000 X 100 billion atoms, with a total energy of 300 MJ.

That's a very very big hammer...

I'll just wait and see...

Register To Comment