Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Folding Titanium

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am working on the armour for our Beetleweights and my we are thinking to A: save money on the cut, B: reduce the amount of welding and C: make the body stronger... what would be needed to properly fold 1.2mm Grade 5 Titanium?

Is it with the effort given the above advantages or is it easier to just weld it all together?

Bending titanium cold is difficult and usually needs quite a large radius to avoid breaking - I think the radius is 10 x the thickness without looking it up. Bending it while its red hot is much easier. If you have a propane or MAPP gas torch, a vice large enough to hold the sheet and a BFH, you can get the job done without much trouble.

Heating ti is derecommended. It weakens the stuff.

How so? Grade five is always supplied in the annealed state and I have re-heated and either bent or beaten out dents many times. Unless you get it hot enough to cause hydrogen enbrittlement (IE welding temperatures) there shouldn't be a problem. I got my info from page 23 of this manual: http://www.timet.com/images/document...abrication.pdf

Notice that table 18 for cold forming recommends a bend radius of 9X the thickness for grade 5 thin sheet, while you can get down to 2X the thickness at 816 Deg. C. I try to get the titanium to a dull red and do the forming in several stages with a final heating to take out any work hardening.

In short, it sounds like an awful lot of work... we don't have any gas torches that would be big enough, nor a press or bender so l thick that is out.

What's the length of the bend? I have been going seriously low-tech with just an 8" vice, a basic MAPP torch and a big hammer. Welding is usually a better result but bending is so much cheaper and quicker that its often the better choice for thinner sheet and I have done up to 9mm with a slightly larger torch. If you have some scrap sheet, at least give it a test...

Anvil 02 Assem.jpg

That is the new chassis design so the longest folds would be 238mm long. There are a lot of long fold in the build if you were to do it like that and they all meet at sharp corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventorizon View Post
    Anvil 02 Assem.jpg

That is the new chassis design so the longest folds would be 238mm long. There are a lot of long fold in the build if you were to do it like that and they all meet at sharp corners.
    Cough*storm 2*cough
    Looks really solid tho

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Masher View Post
    Cough*storm 2*cough
    Looks really solid tho
    Seriously? So if I had 4WD would you complain it was a Tornado copy? You try and come up with making an effective rambot that doesn't look like either machine that has 6 or 4WD.

Register To Comment