Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a feather hammer, seeking inspiration

It depends whether you're looking to use an electric motor or pneumatics. LH3 & Basher use pneumatics, No Toy, Onyx & RoboChallenge's build use electric motors.

There's a collection of photos of Onyx during the build on my Photobucket: http://s31.photobucket.com/user/ayrs...?sort=3&page=1

Quite a few pictures of the axe mechanism with one of the bulkheads removed showing how it's set up. Essentially it's just an electric motor with a 9-tooth sprocket on it (for both the drill motor and scooter motor) running through a chain to a 45-tooth sprocket on the axe.

There's a 12mm shaft that goes through the bulkheads. This is a live shaft (meaning it rotates when the axe rotates) and there are 12mm needle roller bearings pressed into the bulkheads. The 45-tooth sprocket is held onto the shaft with two M5 grub screws at a 90° angle and it has two M10 bolts going through it that bolt on to the axe arm.

So motor turns the chain which turns the 45-tooth sprocket which is directly connected to the axe and wham

Still got a few kinks to iron out (partly with the weapon, mostly with the robot/chassis) but when it works it works well. It's the simplest way to do it, especially compared to Grant's high quality cam-based version, and it doesn't cost a huge amount either. The scooter motor is about £40, and all the chain and sprockets, bearings, shaft and bolts can be bought from Technobots for not too much either.

Even much lower powered motors for the axe will self right, No toy uses mfa 48/50w axe motors they are 700 size high torque low revs, it will fire the axe on one motor but not self right , I use twin motors for reliability and reduced stress on parts, I also run the motors undervolted in no toy due to the controller but when tested on 22.2v it was amazingly powerful but the wheel drive motors couldn't take the strain. Don't be to narrow minded on motor options but as Jamie says scooter motors work great and can be found for just over £20 , if using scooter motors I would also just use there sprockets and chain assembly also just for ease of building. good luck but one tip here start low on voltage and work up if not you can cause major damage to the chassis or drives before you have even really used it. adam

Register To Comment