Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hacking drill - Problem with reverse thread

Hold in a vice and use an Allen key and hammer a short sharp hit will free it off remember clockwise to loosen

If it's straight from the shop then it'll have a crosshead/phillips head. Some are already loose, some crazy tight. Before anything, I don't mean this in a funny way, you are trying to turn it the right way? By which I mean the wrong way! It's righty loosey lefty tighty for these...

I'm confused. Are you trying to get the screw out or the chuck off? If the former, it should involve a crosshead screwdriver and some heaving to the right to get it out. To the left is actually tightening with reverse threads.

If you've dealt with that and the screw is out, and it's the chuck you mean you can't get off, then an allen key in the chuck itself and a light tap on the end of the allen usually does it. The chuck is threaded normally, though, so to loosen you need to turn it/jolt it to the left, as normal.

So you've opened up the chuck like you were putting in a very large drill bit, you've then got a cross head screw driver and put the end into the chuck (where the drill bit would go) then feeling the screw head and turning it as if you were doing up a normal screw? They can be stiff but you should be able to undo it.

If the screw head is worn out there's little chance you'll be able to unscrew it now...most probably thread locking compound is applied to that lock screw which will only make it worse.
    If you got an other cordless drill with adjustable torque setting you could try with it... set it on low torque and clockwise rotation and press hard on the screw, the clutch should slip...increase torque setting gradually, it should work...
    If that fails,I see no other way other than drilling the head off...and then you still got the problem of taking the remaining thread out!

Register To Comment