Register To Comment
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Corvis (temp bot name) rough ideas.

That sounds like good advice.. I'm well aware that making a walker that can compete on any level, is a really tough gig.

So yeah, develop the armour and weaponry using an off-the-peg chassis while getting myself involved, and meanwhile start work on a walking drive-train as a separate project running alongside. I like it. Good plan.

Which is pilgrim? Couldn't see the mechanism in your spider-looking bot, and wondered if it's a klaan linkage, seeing as the other one is a theo-jansen jobby. I'm also on the look-out for any video out there of Anarchy from back in the day.

Last edited by Bacon Wizard; 12th April 2013 at 09:28.

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    Bacon Wizard, nobody is actualy trying to dissuade you from building the next Warhead or Mechadon.
    But we have seen so many promising people overreaching and stop before they got anywere. And that is what we want to avoid.

Also, you're welcome to sample the Bacon Explosion in the House of Chaos.
    ​Hehehe, that looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    Bacon Wizard, nobody is actualy trying to dissuade you from building the next Warhead or Mechadon.
    But we have seen so many promising people overreaching and stop before they got anywere. And that is what we want to avoid.

Also, you're welcome to sample the Bacon Explosion in the House of Chaos.
    Hehehe, that looks awesome!

Pilgrim is the one walking round town. it is based on the Theo system but with some changes the obvious one is it has 8 legs Theo has minimum of 12 so the gait had to be re-designed big time, can't go into it now.
    yes the Klaan system for the Spiderbot I don't like the gait as much as Pilgrim as it tends to bounce the robot when Spiderbot walks fast.

I don't see how you say yours don't have 2 degrees of freedom. They do! back and forward vs up and down. But my understanding is that using a rotary action to drive them is no longer counted as true walking.

This is the only pic of Anarchy's drive train I could find. Its tiny, but can see quite well how it works.

Scuttle_Side.png

That wouldn't count and I don't think you understand what a degree of freedom is

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    That wouldn't count and I don't think you understand what a degree of freedom is
    Are you sure Gary? Its one of the few mechanisms that was allowed in Robotwars... I was going to use that mechanism at some point. Who would we have to clear it with in order to be allowed the weight increase?

I have discussed this at length many times on the forum before and I am not going to do it again.
    I still think the 2 degrees of freedom rule is too restrictive, but I am alone on this. (interpreting the rule means both of my walkers are now downgraded to shufflers)
    If the 2 degrees of freedom rule stays, and it will, there will be no fighting robot walkers on the scene.
    Why? Simple they would be too slow, expensive and complex to be used.

Yes I'm sure and it may have been allowed in robot wars but then we now allow highers voltages than robot wars so things change.

With good reason it's difficult to make a walker in my eyes. That mechanism in a featherweight FBS of the sort like little spinner would be devastating as you could in theory have a machine with a 13kg disc on a brushless motor. You don't get the extra weight for nothing.

So what would you say a degree of freedom is, then? I'm interpreting it as movement in one axis.

Register To Comment