Register To Comment

Thread: The northern badlands

I was just wondering if any of the robot events ever make it up north?

It's a bit dire for things like events and gigs, cutoff point seems to be Leeds, then picks up again at Edinburgh

and more so, if there are any roboteers in the north east/ county Durham area?

You should try living in South West Wales mate. Cut off is usually between Cardiff & Machynlleth. LOL.

Roboteer

Oh yes we clock up a few thousand miles each year :-)

Quote Originally Posted by psychostorm View Post
    You should try living in South West Wales mate. Cut off is usually between Cardiff & Machynlleth. LOL.
    Feel for you man, fingers crossed a few more events will crop up closer to home! haha

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    Oh yes we clock up a few thousand miles each year :-)

Wow, and also wuhoo, haha someone from Gateshead

We have begun the process of making a 'Conversion' for our deck to turn it into an arena cos of the lack of events. At the moment its just got a floor but we are going to be swapping the glass in our porch with Polycarbonate to make a driving booth, adding proper low walls using 8"x2" wooden beams and possibly even a pit as it is built on ground that slopes away.
    Doubt you could run an event but it would give people somewhere safe enough to test out their machines. Flippers would be an issue though as you would be tossing other robots into the garden. Perhaps a high net will be enough. Binky would also be an issue after what it did to cicatrix and Satanix.
    But the aim is to eventually to have an arena you could use for a proper battle!

Haha brilliant, that's actually a great idea... should post it as a new thread with a progress blog if you haven't already

Something I've been racking my brains about tbh "having a place to test robots"... would be even better if it was a place any local roboteers could meet up... I'm getting the feeling there isn't many in the north east??

We are in Ripon, that's north east-ish. And nope, no build diary as yet.

2013-04-03 15.55.10.jpg

That is how it currently looks when built. As you can see we have quite a drop on 3 edges. If we add something as high as the top of the post that should stop most things going out. If not then its a long way down.

Register To Comment