Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using pneumatics in a crusher?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by teamkenny
    Also something to think about is the pivot ratio with crushers, you can easily get half or even a third of the power of the linear with just having a long stroke claw
    So a short one is better I take it.

By the way, has Venom had any relative success in competitions at all?
    Doesn't matter if its short or long , it as the same power, if you take cobalt for example that runs a 32mm bore cylinder at 3000psi, giving 1600kg of force on the cylinder ( See pic ) , if you look at the jaw it as holes down the back of it, when the cylinder is connected to the highest hole the jaw as less movement because its further away from the pivot point of the bottom of the jaw, where as the hole further down the jaw is closer so gives more movement , its all good having the movement but because the ratio ( closer to pivot lower ratio, further away higher the ratio ) the more power lost, you need to find a happy medium between the 2 for what you want in a crusher, do you want something to go through everything or something to grab them so you can pull and push them around the arena and maybe the pit, all things to decide on making a crusher,

Venom is good but is limited to what it can damage only being electric leadscrew, it also takes alot of power to crush through anything if you think cobalt runs 1600kg ram thats 4 times the power of the most powerful linear gimsons sells and that stuggles to damage something which is braced behind it
    [attachment=0:3bgsf9ct]IMAG0283.jpg[/attachment:3bgsf9ct]
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think the most important thing in a crusher is a front wedge that can get under anything and the drive system to back it up.
    Once their wheels are off the ground, and that claw comes down, if you can move them around you're in control.
    30s pin time, 3 min match, proves a good design for a winner.
    Cobalt is an excellent example of this (although how you never got flipped Kenny I'll never know, jammy bar-steward)

Also something to think about is the pivot ratio with crushers, you can easily get half or even a third of the power of the linear with just having a long stroke claw
    So a short one is better I take it.

By the way, has Venom had any relative success in competitions at all?
    Doesn't matter if its short or long , it as the same power, if you take cobalt for example that runs a 32mm bore cylinder at 3000psi, giving 1600kg of force on the cylinder ( See pic ) , if you look at the jaw it as holes down the back of it, when the cylinder is connected to the highest hole the jaw as less movement because its further away from the pivot point of the bottom of the jaw, where as the hole further down the jaw is closer so gives more movement , its all good having the movement but because the ratio ( closer to pivot lower ratio, further away higher the ratio ) the more power lost, you need to find a happy medium between the 2 for what you want in a crusher, do you want something to go through everything or something to grab them so you can pull and push them around the arena and maybe the pit, all things to decide on making a crusher,

Venom is good but is limited to what it can damage only being electric leadscrew, it also takes alot of power to crush through anything if you think cobalt runs 1600kg ram thats 4 times the power of the most powerful linear gimsons sells and that stuggles to damage something which is braced behind it
    [attachment=0:g13q9v5n]IMAG0283.jpg[/attachment:g13q9v5n]
    Is that right at the weight limit then?

Its at 12.2kg at the moment all in with a 5000mah lipo which is over kill, only run the jaw a few times a fight, using a pair of RS550 drive motors so it doesn't use alot of battery power, i could run on a 2500mah if i wanted to loose some weight

Its at 12.2kg at the moment all in with a 5000mah lipo which is over kill, only run the jaw a few times a fight, using a pair of RS550 drive motors so it doesn't use alot of battery power, i could run on a 2500mah if i wanted to loose some weight
    Does the self right mechanism involve hope?
    Got it in 1!

Register To Comment