Register To Comment
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Power Tool Drag Racing! September 25th Entries open.

no problem, i'll keep an eye out for the distress flare (or a cloud of steam!)

How did it go guys?

Hi All, First I would like to thank the event organisers for putting on the event, namely Silverline, Robo Challenge and not forgetting the Fleet Air Arm Museum, our hosts.

The event started very well for us, getting through the first round only needing one run then the rains came. A big thanks to Alan Young for the use of his gazebo. A lot of machines only had slick tyres which was dangerous so all proceedings had to ne postponed.

When we started the second round we were the first machine on giving us time to charge our batteries if we needed to make a second run which fortunately again we didnt need to do, and managed to reach the next round after another four machines had been eliminated.

On the third round, 6 machines had to be eliminated most posting similar times to ours. We had to try something a little radical to get into the final four overloading just about every system we had, we managed a really good time of 7.85 which was better than the time that won last year. Our top speed over the 100 metres which seemed a long 100 metres was 43 mph. In achieving this time we blew two of our speed controllers although it got us into the last round. We knew with the times of the other machines we werent going to get any better than fourth but we were happy that we had beaten the time from last years winners which is all we set out to do. The three teams that beat us were quite heavily sponsored. In third place was Silverline, second place the Royal Marines and first place Robo Challenge.

4th Well done Team Big Nipper this shows you guys are the true local hero's

Really wish i had gone electric, i'm aching all over and hands are covered in blisters!!! Well done to all the roboteers that took part, roboteers walked away with the Indoor and Outdoor 1st place throphies! Well done the to the Nipper guys for coming fourth and winning the 'Best Engineered' award. Thanks to them as well for their help with running mine.

Mine didn't run too badquickest run was about 8.9 seconds and made the to the top 10 shoot-out, think i finished arounf 6th or 7th place overall. Had a few issues, one of the engines is down on compression, and i managed to melt the front wheel and brakes on the last but one run, meaning the final run was done with a warped wheel and no brakes! Will change the gearing for next year and give the engines a full service.

A video of the final top 4 shoot-out runs (first clip is the Nippers first test run on low power)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c25qvyE5xw8

Some pics (more on our photobucket and my FB)

Roboteer

Well done the Nippers and all other Roboteers.
    There doesn't seem to be the same amount of spectators as last year though.
    Team Toon:
    Heavyweight UK Champion 2015
    Robot Wars World Annihilator Champion 2015
    Heavyweight Tag Team Champion 2012
    Featherweight UK Champion 2010
    Featherweight Annihilator Champion 2009,2011 & 2014
    Rebel Robots Champion 2009
    Pika Annihilator Champion (Belgium) 2012
    Tanja Trophy Winner 2010
    Team Champions ( Team Barbie) 2011

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who made a fantastic effort to create some truly unique and whacky racers. Alans dragster very very speedy and looked very scary to drive! Big nipper team as ever did a fantastic job creating an electric dragster thT was very competitive! Really nice design guys.

The event went really well and I would like to thank silverline for putting on the event. There was lots of interest from the crowd with bigger numbers this year. I can imagine next years ptdr is going to be very competitive with this years times being very close between the top 8. We may also look at creating different classes for private teams and pro teams (Glyn, with all your lipos I don't think you could be classed as a shed build team lol)

Thank you once again for your support, it's really appreciated and we hope to see you back next year!

I would like a shed based competition as I would actually be enthused to throw mine together. As it currently stands, there is no drive for me to throw something together as I know that it won't win.

On another topic, when's the next feather event James?

I'm with Gary on this one. Me and Dan would love to make something, but it would be very Bitza and so embarrassingly un-competitive so a class system (how very British!) would be great.
    I think the first division should be between sponsored teams, and non-sponsored teams.

Yeh! When is the next FW event?!

Register To Comment