Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team MAD Build diaries

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well i'd though i'd get myself a thread. Decided to build a feather a new feather, and see how quickly i can do it from bits i've had laying around.

Name: TBC
    Weapon: LP Flipper (63mm bore giving ~300kg of thrust) - Old G3 Ram, when it was LP
    Drive: Bosch 35s - Spares
    Batteries: 1.2ah 14.4v NiCads - one of Alphas old ones
    Speedos: Electronize - Spares from the P2D
    Armour/Chassis: 10mm HDPE - Off cuts
    RC: Futbaba Skysport 6 with FrSky 2.4 hack - Borrowed from our Dalek

New things going in it; Wheels, plastic/steel (although off-cuts), will have probably cost me £50 in bits to build it.

I dodn't have any particular design in mind, it was just a case of how it fitted together best, but its ended up as a FW Big Brother

Total time so far ~4hours, hopefully should have the bulk of it done by tomorrow, want to run it this weekend at manchester, so has to be finished by wednesday night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cor it's took me ages to find this thread! Anyway a few quick updates;

The heavyweight I started last year (build above) will be finished off in the next few months, had to put it aside last year due to building Goliath. Plan is to get it finished and then probably will be selling it as it doesn't fit in my plans for this year, so if anybodies interested give me a shout.

Kronic: Has had a good year so far, having a few changes for the Euro Champs, moving to Lipo batteries as the current NiCads are very old and not up to it any more. The weight gain will go into some armour upgrades (the lids already got upgraded to 3.2mm Hardox at the end of last year). Also might try and squeeze an extra valve in there for abit more flip :P

Merlin: Is still going, and although not seen at the big shows, still does more fights than most in the UK at our demo events. A few maintenance things to do but overall it will stay the same.

Plans for the future is to probably build another heavyweight at the beginning of winter, based on our featherweight Ratchet. Also plan to get a new competitive feather done at some point.

Will start posting pics when I go back onto the heavyweight in a couple of weeks, a few finishing bits to do on Goliath before then...

Plans for the future is to probably build another heavyweight at the beginning of winter, based on our featherweight Ratchet.
    One already exists it's called bigger brother.

it will have a fair few differences, but bigger brother is the most agile robot I have ever driven, Ratchet is nearly as good even with Electronize in!

Well, was going to give you an update but just read over my post from June, and everythings pretty much the same as then, busy with other stuff last year meant didn't get much dont on the robots themselves.

Kronic: Switched to Lipos for the Euros last year, which has gave me abit more weight to play with. Upgrades for this year include changing the gearing (was going to be done for Dublin, but RS decided to only send me one gear), and a few tweaks to the pneumatics.

Merlin: Will probably go Lipo at some point this year, Nicads are knocking on abit and they get alot of abuse. Other than that not much can be done to it, still runs reliably, just not competitive anymore (current chassis is 8years old).

UFO: Will probably get phased out this year, getting very old and becoming trouble to maintain. Maybe build a newer version at some point.

Goliath: Made his introduction last year, i purposely kept him quiet and out of the way for a lot of the fights until we're confident of the reliability, can't have him breaking down in the middle of the arena! Hoping to make a few upgrades this year, change the gearing abit, he's actually faster then most of you ever see him, don't really need the speed so will gear it down abit more for efficiency. Would like to do a few upgrades to the weapons as well.

Others: The heavyweight axle bot is still in the same state, hope to get it running after this run of events are out of the way, and then move onto building the big Ratchet. Plans are underway to build a new G3, got a better pneumatics system for it now, may be done for GSL 2015!

2013 was a busy year for us, so the robots themselves took a back foot, although this years looking to be even busier, so all what i've said above probably won't happen!

stop talking- start making something you mong

Finally got the axle bot driving, after it being stuck under the bench for the last 2 years. Will probably run it without the wedge for first couple of events and see how it goes. Testing is with Merlins Wotty and a single (old) Nicad pack).

Ran for the first time last week at Edinburgh, although as I'd forgot to support the back of the motors, they twisted and caused the 1st stage chains to come loose and jam up, easy fix. Video of it testing;

Yeah its a heavy. This one is about as basic as they come, its built mainly for our smaller shows to make a load of noise and be a bit of fun.

Register To Comment