Register To Comment
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EYE OF THE ROBOT - Extreme Edition

Hmm...team-ups?

Change of plan: team-ups are good, team-ups are w00ty, Lewis would you like one? You flip 'em, I hit 'em.

Wicked. I'm glad I now know where you live. I'm guessing that Hell would be quite different to Liverpool :wink: but ya never know lol.

And additionally, after taking a look at Metallic Doom's stats, I not see how it could be a 150kg robot:
    (here are the stats if anyone disagrees with me):

Metallic Doom
    Weight: 150kg
    Shape: A low box ala Drillzilla.
    Colour: The left half is red, while the right half is black.
    Dimensions: 107cm x 95cm x 17cm
    Drive: 2 36.3v LEM-130 motors powered by 11x A123 Battlepacks
    Locomotion: 2 Drillzilla-style shuffling feet, giving Metallic Doom good traction and pushing ability.
    Armour: 3.25mm hardox
    Speed: 20mph
    Ground Clearance: 0mm at the front, 5mm elsewhere.
    Turning Circle: 0m
    Weapon: A pair of horizontal crushing jaws, each which looks like the one used by Suicidal Tendencies, powered by a Vivoil Pump and LEM-130. Each jaw has a 2:1 ratio giving it 9 tonnes at the ram and 4.5 tonnes at the tip.
    Srimech: Invertible.
    Strengths: Nothing wrong overall.
    Weaknesses: Average everything.
    Bio: The 6th Team Blood Mages(a subsidiary of Death Robotics) creation is rather average overall...
    Win/Loss Ratio: N/A

I think, to be enitrely honest, what you've built is perfectly within the 110kg limit. If anyone agrees with this, then awesome. Basically, if it's fine with everyone looking at these stats, and not seeing a 150kg robot, but instead a 110kg robot then I will continue with keeping Metallic Doom in this competition. Not not, then you know the score (and if you don't know the score, the score is Metallic Doom will be removed from the competition and replace with another Team Bloodmage member :shock: )

Hmm...I believe it's time I got back into checking, even though this is not my tournament (forgive me). So here I go...

Based on some calculations, I also fail to see how Metallic Doom can be 150kg...

The MatWeb material calculator tells me Metallic Doom's body armour is around 60kg...

Since I can't make too good of a calculation on hydraulic systems, my estimate is that the weapon armour and system would be around...20-25kg.

I don't know how many 'battlepacks' of A123 cells Lian is using :P but since he's got 11 packs, he'll outlast everybody, I think. I believe what Lian meant was 11 A123 cells, not packs. He would want 4-6 packs...let's go in-between with 5. A123 cells weigh around 70kg.

70g x 11 cells = 770g.

770g x 5 packs = 3850g, or 3.85kg.

Since LEM130s weigh 3.1kg and he uses two of them, that's around 10kg of power. The shuffling pads would be another 5-10kg, and miscellaneous bits (such as nuts, bolts, wiring, speed controllers, etc.) would be another 5-10kg.

60kg + 20-25kg + 10kg + 5-10kg + 5-10kg = 100-115kg. So yeah Lian, I think Paul is right.

Okay I'm done...

Team-Up sounds good Kody

OK, with the posted tactics (two of them ) I wrote this just now. The longest fight I've written, I hope you'll like it: with all this in mind:

LET THE EYE OF THE ROBOT-EXTREME EDITION BEGIN!!!!

Annihilator ONE:
    Nidhogg Cubed vs. Tira VI vs. Vertigo vs. Wedga Ennea vs. Axe To Fall vs. Metallic Doom

From Pontefract, Nidhogg Cubed!!
    Entered by Joey McConnel
    Here€™s the Welsh pork to shove away our British Beef! This robot is an Elongated triangular pyramid ala Lightning design, with double weaponry: at the front, a pair of beautifully designed lifting forks to hoist robots from their safety, so that they can become the victims of the crusher weapon - so powerful, that through the hydraulic power going into a 92mm bore/70mm piston ram, Nidhogg can produce 8 tons of crush at the tip; then again, what did you expect from the Norse dragon? The drive comes from a new notion of vapourbots - no electrics; powered by a 7.2hp 80cc Stihl disc cutter engine driving two separate hydraulic pumps, one of which runs at 1200psi and uses proportional valve gear to control speed and direction of the two hydrostatic drive motors, Nidhogg has more torque and power than the average Voltage machine. Speeds of 12mph make for good control, but the €˜luck-based€™ rollbar styled self-righting mechanism may be its downfall here.

From Toronto, Canada, Tira VI!!
    Entered by Kody Kunz
    Game characters may up part of childhood€¦but not if they were anything like this mistress of mayhem! The bizarre design of this robot is an effect use of mixing a slanted body shape with plenty of wedges with the TAN type of design by having a large width to trap robots in her hold, and putting a spinner on the front: a 13kg Hardox disc to be precise, spinning at 1250rpm and providing 45kj worth of pain! The LEM130€™s in this machine make for quick accelaterion with 13mph speeds. Add in a front-hindged self-righting flipper with CO2 power, and Ti/V alloy armourment and you have a strong contender. However, the self-righting mechanism only has 15 shots, which could leave Tira indefinitely on her back (not dutty at all).

From Liverpool, Vertigo!!
    Entered by Lewis Matthews
    This robot is an ultra high-flyer - even Gordon Gekko is envious of him! A standard invertible box-wedge shape with thick Hardox monocoque armour - 6mm on top and for the weaponry and 4mm everywhere else - with top speeds of 18mph coming from powerful 24V MagMotors, that is already enough to gurantee success for this machine. But make the said €˜weapon€™ a powerful CO2 flipper powered by a 3kg bottle making for many flips, and the ram is a 100mm ram at 725psi and you have one of the most powerful flippers in vapourbotdom (new place). The 4 wheel drive layout makes for the right balace between control and traction, but the invertible design leaves the axes and crushers laughing and smiling at the idea of how to bring down Vertigo.

From Bourne, Lincolnshire, Wedga Eenea!!
    Entered by AJ
    Wedga Eenea είναι η condender να αναÎÎ·Ï„à ®Ïουμε εδώ, και εÏείς θα πιÏτεύ ουν ότι καλύτΠρα - this literally translates from Greek into €˜Wedga Eenea is the condender to look for here, and you'd better believe it€™! A heavily armoured design here, with Titanium/10% Vanadium alloy monocoque, 7mm for the main body, and 10mm for the flipper weapon. This is a revert back to the Wedge design but mixing in the high-wedge design, the ninth edition of Wedga has been designed for control, further using 4 wheel drive to achieve this. Powered by AmpMotors at 26.4V for speeds of 16mph, it is a nippy, controlled machine which is more than capable of using it€™s extremely powerful full-pressure CO2 flipper, which is stored in a 2.2kgs canister, via two 1.1kgs buffer tanks. The output of this weapon is 1100kg, which is powerful, but unskirted 8mm side and rear clearance may leave Wedga at the mercy of fellow wedges.

From Enschede, The Netherlands, Axe To Fall!!
    Entered by Martijn Benschop
    Named after that great Queen song, this hopes to sing the song of victory! Axe To Fall is a half cylinder robot with 4 Vulcanised wheels powered by 2 x LEM130€™s at 48V, giving roughly 24hp! And to compensate this is a 5kg double-headed axe on top of the machine, it€™s a steel 80 cm shaft with two diamond edged blades made of Hardox on the end of it. The blades are pointed to maximise piercing on the other robots. The axe is powered by 2 x Nitrogen bottles at 1000psi, a 1 kg buffer bottle and a 30 mm bore ram, for fast and furious hits, with a down force of almost 2 tonnes! The armour is 8mm Titanium on the front with the rest of the robot made of 15mm Polycarbonate! The speeds are 15mph, and the front and rear wedges are very good at pushing, but it can only axe things from the front/rear!

From Nottingham, Metallic Doom!!
    Entered by Lian Walsh
    Here comes the shuffling metallic of doom - only akin to Pandora€™s Box! This is a shuffler, which means that this robot has greater overall traction than wheeled robots, leading to a greater ability to push. Then again, with 2 x LEM130€™s at 36V - that provide an 18hp capacity - and 20mph top speed, it€™s powerful just based on that! Throw in the weapon, a pair a hydraulic crushing claws designed for piercing that give 4.5 tons at the tip and 9 tonnes at the ram, it may never need the speed or power! Harox armoury will make it hard for weapons to get in, but the pads are vulnerable to overhead attack, and a 5mm clearance - unskirted on all sides - may result in doom for Metallic Doom!

Booth #1: Joey McC, Kody K
    Booth #2: Lewis M, AJ
    Booth #3: Martijn B, Lian W

Roboteers, stand by!!!

3€¦2€¦1€¦activate!!!

And everything is happening at once: the blade of Tira is spinning up to the max speed, and the two fastest machines in this match - Metallic Doom and Vertigo - are speeding into the arena centre. Tira has now fully spun up, and crashes into the side of Metallic Doom, and SPARKS FLY, as does the machine itself: it lands upside-down, but with no external damage. Lian quickly scuttles away from trouble, in this case the Liverpudlian laucher that Veritgo and also Tira. Elsewhere, we€™re seeing Nidhogg in battle now, trying to get a hold on Axe To Fall, but Martijn€™s control is too good for defending against Joey€™s constant charges. We haven€™t seen much of Wedga Eenea yet€¦until he hits the pit release button to let the Abyss open. But this attracts the attention of Martijn, and he rams into the rear of Wedga! The axe comes down and smashes a bit into the Ti/V alloy armour, not making a huge hole, but maintaining a grip on the Wedge shaped flipper. Just as this is happening, Metallic Doom is taking on a joint way attack by Tira and Veritgo: Vertigo is in underneath the rear, and€¦FLIP! Great attack by Lewis sends the shuffler flying into the disc, again leaving no damage, but Lian has a lot to pull back from. Elsewhere, Axe To Fall still has Wedga in his clutches, and is dragging him about the arena€¦but Martijn seems unable to finish him off, but a knock from Nidhogg removes him from the axe-clasp. Wedga looks free€¦but not anymore, as now he has two robots pressing onto him: BACK AGAINST THE SPIKE STRIP! As the axe and crusher come into play, it seems clear that there are two primary targets within this battle now: Metallic Doom and Wedga Ennea. However, unlike its more experience counterpart, Lian€™s shuffling machine is putting up quite a nice fight, as he drives back onto Vertigo and crasps him tightly; and he powers him along the arena with his superior traction, and shoves him forcefully against the spinning disc of Tira, and scratches appear on the rear. Kody smiles, as he€™s not only noticing how little damage he€™s taken, but also noticing the tyrant of abuse reigning down upon AJ€™s machine, as the Axe of Axe To Fall comes in again, now making a great hole in the top armour surrounding the flipper! Metallic Doom now rams Vertigo back onto a wall, further scratching the rear. Backing up, and ramming into another wall! Metallic Doom now has to let go of Lewis, and backs away! But this allows Lewis to charge in€¦AND UNDER! But he can€™t seem to get the shufflers traction far enough off the ground to do anything€¦so incomes the Canadian spinner and WHACKS into the side of both machines again, causing plenty of sparks and FINALLY some damage appears, as a large chuck of metal is yanked out of the claws of Metallic Doom! Meanwhile, Wedga has finally made space in the arena, for the first time in the entire match - almost all of it has been spent in the area near the pit release button moving towards the Green square: now in the arena centre, as Nidhogg comes in, and gets straight under the flipper, and lifts up the flipper, and SLAMS him into the spinning disc: dents appear in the rear and Wedga is thrown up and over. But look at this, a massively powerful flip sends AJ in a somersault back onto his wheels. Excellent style, but it€™s so far the only thing we€™ve seen of the dented, beaten and punctured machine, and here comes Axe To Fall, who seems to have grown tired of taking on AJ now seems to be going after Tira, and slams the axe onto the Hardox body, making a nice slice but nothing more. Wedga is still pinned in by Nidhogg, but now is hoisted up AND DRAGGED INTO THE DISC AGAIN! More dents, and AJ is starting to fear, as we haven€™t seen him get a proper attack in yet. Kody, on the other hand, has stayed quiet yet strong, but now Metallic Doom is coming back on the attack, and knocks Tira€¦FLIP! Kody has been thrown over by the spikes, but he€™s quick to activate his self-righter€¦but what€™s this; Lian has comes the attack on the topped disc again, and the claws go into the weight-down holes in the disc€¦AND THE ONCE SAFE TIRA IS DRIVEN BACK€¦BOOOOM! I don€™t believe this: Tira€™s gone! And speaking of robots nearly gone, Wedga is finally free, and runs into the arena centre, and squares up to the other flipper Vertigo, and gets underneath€¦FLIP! Somersault on Vertigo. AJ finally gets an attack in! But now Axe To Fall comes in once more, and the axe hits in€¦and now CO2 is venting! AJ definitely has taken some abuse, but he still survives€¦possibly just!

Result:
    Tira VI is defeated, and has to retry the level once more!
    NIDHOGG CUBED, VERTIGO, WEDGA EENEA, AXE TO FALL AND METALLIC DOOM GO THROUGH TO THE NEXT ROUND!!!

ROUND TWO
    Nidhogg Cubed vs. Vertigo vs. Wedga Ennea vs. Axe To Fall vs. Metallic Doom

Send in tactics, comments, predictions and some bandages for Wedga Eenea *Note please I didn't actually notice that Wedga was getting that badly pounded. I was trying focus two different mini-fights into a big fight and that's just the way it came out in my mind. Sorry AJ, it won't happen again*

w00t for me, p00t for my fallen teammate

Exciting match though Paul

As for tactics... well, now I'm on my own... I guess I'd better ask if anyone else wants to team-up
    If no one wants to team up with me I'll try and avoid Nidhogg at all costs, and maybe try and flip one of the others out of the arena, or Nidhogg itself if I see an opening. I don't want his crusher going anywhere near my wheels though :P Otherwise, just flip whoever.

Good luck guys

w00ty fight Paul ^^ I think Nidhogg's tactics will be to stay out of trouble, really, and stay away from the hazards and walls and go for any good opportunity here and there. I'm willing to team up with other people if they are in kind

Team-up then Joey?

If you're up for one, yep ^^

Register To Comment