Register To Comment
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Crash & Burn Mini-Tournament of Death 4

Sauron- From the start i'll single out SOTAR, using my axe range to my advantage, if it comes too close, leg it. Avoid
    Gabriel as well, if need be, help out eliminating VFT

Empty Inside- Wanna team up Paul?

Tactics and Predictions ini bruv

Heat A

Venus Fly Trap II vs. S.O.T.A.R. vs. Gabriel V vs. Sauron

S.O.T.A.R I think causes everyone problems so it I think it will go through, and perhaps Gabriel or Sauron to follow it, as I think this is an unfortunate line-up for VFTII.

BIACS By Popular Demand vs. Sheer Heart Attack 2 vs. Vertigo vs. O.I.D.

I think SHA2 causes me the most problems, so I'd like to offer Marti to team-up if he wants to The other two are far from easy pickings, but IIRC O.I.D has quite a high ground clearance away from that wedge, so I'll make him by primary target and try to get him out of the arena. My armour should withstand his disc long enough for me to do so. If I manage to get rid of O.I.D I suppose I'll try and flip BIACS out as well, keeping the flipper down until I'm well underneath him and then charge to the arena wall and flip him out. If Martijn attacks me I'll try and get him side on and flip him out, but otherwise leave SHA2 well alone

Heat B

Shrederator vs. Mobile Failure 2.5 vs. Wedga Ennea vs. The Crashing Bore 2

Shrederator I think could actually cause Mobile Failure problems if it is not flipped quickly, but I think Wedga Ennea and The Crashing Bore 2 will prevail here regardless.

Empty Inside vs. Harraz vs. Iron Awe 6 vs. I.A.N.

Empty Inside should make it through, not sure if I.A.N still has 1 battery pack or whatever but I don't see it going through if it has. Whether Harraz's lifter is enough to get it through without being thrown over the fence remains to be seen, but it looks to be a very good bot for controlling so I think it will go through.

Heat C

Exertion II vs. Liar 2 vs. Blast vs. Eye of Ran II

Close match, I see no obvious winners, but perhaps the narrow area of attack for Liar 2 will let it down against Blast and Exertion. Eye of Ran's spinner may also have difficulty with their tough armour.

Traffic Warden vs. Cobalt vs. Equinox vs. Assegai

Cobalt is one I'd like to avoid, it looks dangerous. Traffic Warden has a rather high ground clearance which I should be able to breach quite easily, so I'd like to lift, clamp and pit him if I can... If I'm underneath he won't be able to push me anywhere. Assegai looks pretty clampable too so I'd go for him after that, but I'm open for team-ups from any of the 3 in this match.

Good luck everyone, looks to be a great tournament Kody!

All right, let's get right to it!!!

Over the course of the dreaded Mini-Tournament of Death, many have fallen bloodstained...or simply turned into a heap of scrap metal. The first ever tournament saw Team ???'s PsycloniZer just barely manage to outlast Team Wet 'n Wild's Dolce and win the first crown...Team Wet 'n Wild's leader, Chezza, had the next laugh, however, when Dolce's brother Do Or Die met Team Insanity's Nitro-Gene 5.0 in battle and managed to pit it in the second tournament's final! Having claimed the crown at last, Chezza vanished, and new competitors took to the stage in the third tournament. In the end, Daniel Stickler and Team Britespark made the day as Monsoon Season managed to use its powerful flipping plate to eject Team Varying Every Day's Under Pressure from the arena floor and out, hereby the champion. But now that Dan has left, the crown is once again up for grabs...

The Crash & Burn Mini-Tournament of Death 4

Heat A
    Melee 1
    Venus Fly Trap II vs. S.O.T.A.R. vs. Gabriel V vs. Sauron

From Glasgow, Scotland...Venus Fly Trap II!
    (created by Steven McGregor)
    We start off with a very original machine in the form of a low truncated pyramid (ala pyRAMedroid) with two giant clamps on the sides to trap opponents should they ride over top and ensnare them, hereby effectively proving its name. It also has a flipper srimech which be used as a weapon. Despite this, having four wheels and high ground clearance means very little will actually drive up onto the front and rear wedges. On the plus-side, it has good armour and a nice torque-y drivetrain.

From Brooks, Canada...S.O.T.A.R.
    (created by Tracy Farber)
    Winner of the 2010 Best Horizontal Spinner award, and why not? It can put out amazing amounts of power in a very short spin-up time indeed, is invertible, and has enough drivetrain power to escape situations, or even be aggressive when need calls. It's not going to push worth a damn, however, but its overwhelming armour on the ring means nothing in the arena can likely even scratch it. The top and bottom zinc/aluminium alloy will withstand only a few hits though...

From Pontefract, England...Gabriel V!
    (created by Joey McConnell)
    And another original machine, taking shape as a low long tetrahedron with the front edge ending in a tool steel nose cone and two spikes to double it as a thwackbot. On the front edge is a front-hinged flipper capable of great force, and either side of it are two large UHMWPE 'ears' for stablility, beneath which are zinc/aluminium alloy skirts to protect the ground clearance. It also has decent 2 wheel drive, but its weak base armour is exposed if flipped.

From Northampton, England...Sauron!
    A Lord of the Rings inspired name, but mainly a box on 4WD, and an A28-400 MagMotor to power each wheel. It uses interchangeable weaponry, but for this match it is using a front 10kg Hardox scoop and a pneumatic axe with a Terrorhurtz-style axehead, capable of 600kg of force. It can run either way up...so its mobility is quite exposed to weapons of the overhead variety. It also doesn't have the best armour.

Roboteers, stand by...

And the house robots this time around are Asterix Anarchius and Rorschach!

ACTIVATE!

Let the mini-tournament begin!

It begins with a bang as Sauron roars straight at S.O.T.A.R., but Gabriel V gets in the way, and S.O.T.A.R. makes a gangway for Venus Fly Trap II! I smell a team up! Sauron tries to move around Gabriel, but the self-styled 'angel of death' manages to breach the Hardox scoop and get underneath! Sauron in a crazy fit brings its axe down, but the Dark Lord's weapon hardly even dents the Hardox shell of Gabriel! With a wide smile Joey gets fully 'neath the Ringmaster and with a simple flick sends him over! Despite this easy 1-up on his opponent, it is quickly negated as Sauron drives away and flicks itself back over with its axe! Gabriel is in hot pursuit, though, and goes head-to-head with Sauron once more! It's not so easy to get underneath a single point, learns Lian, as Gabriel gets underneath the scoop of Sauron again, inches further under and nearing the wall flips him into it! Sauron is flung sideways into the wall and tries to throw himself off with the axe, but is only shoved back onto Gabriel V, who pushes Sauron along the wall and into an empty CPZ! With another casual flick, Gabriel tosses Sauron against the corner and backs off as the house robots come near...and Asterix comes too near, too fast! WHAM!! 118kg of robotic gaul craters into Sauron's top armour, the 4mm titanium however holding up reasonably well. But as Rorschach nears, Sauron falls off the wall and onto his wheels...and facing right into Gabriel's line of direction! With another shove of Gabriel's, Sauron is pushed back into the corner and Rorschach enters, breaching the skirts and chowing down! The axe fires frantically, but the huge crusher does not let up and within seconds half of it is already inside of Sauron's main body! And there's smoke! I think a motor has been punctured!

Meanwhile, Venus Fly Trap II and S.O.T.A.R. have come to blows and the blows themselves are not in Steven's favour! The initial hit has torn a gash in the front of VFT2, but any indication that VFT2 would take control afterward is thwarted as S.O.T.A.R. spins up very quickly indeed, and another blow lands on the front with a massive CRASH!!!, tearing the said gash much wider and proving the strength of the 3.75mm Hardox little indeed! VFT2 tries to catch up to S.O.T.A.R. but both robots are at the same speed and Steven's pursuit is fruitless, while Tracy's continuous assault is wearing the Scottish clamper down! S.O.T.A.R. lands another blow, this time on the edge and ripping it open, and also sending VFT2 flying across the arena, to land directly on the arena saws, which cut its underside! BZZT! Using this time, Tracy spins S.O.T.A.R. up again and drives straight over to the battle-scarred VFT2! But Steve simply turns his machine around; the Scottish machine reverses into S.O.T.A.R., and receives a massive dent in the backside for its trouble, but finally it has the effect Steve wanted, and S.O.T.A.R. is deflected away, completely stopped! Quick as a snake VFT2 rushes its prey and manages to wedge underneath the 20mm ground clearance! There's little Team Alt can do in this instance, as VFT2 shoves the spinner up against the wall and further wedges it, and activates the clamps!

However, it didn't count on Gabriel V, fresh off its attacking Sauron, to barge in and slide underneath the other end! Joey tosses Steve's machine over before it can get a good hold on S.O.T.A.R., and pushes it along the wall, off it, and across the arena! Meanwhile Rorschach releases his victim and Sauron leaves the CPZ, weary and crippled but still alive, and ready to take advantage...or not! For here comes S.O.T.A.R. spinning again, freed from VFT2's clutches! Sauron rushes it, but veers off-course due to one side being less powered than the other, and its entire side is exposed, the same side of Sauron that Rorschach pierced from the top! With another massive CRASH!!! S.O.T.A.R. mashes Sauron two quick times and flings him like a rag doll across the arena, not only having the skirt ripped off, but also a gargantuan chunk of the 4mm titanium ripped away like nothing, and we can now clearly see the punctured A28-400 MagMotor! Amazingly, Sauron is still going as before, after that, but here comes S.O.T.A.R. to take care of that. Lian isn't totally oblivious, and this time carefully aims to point the scoop at S.O.T.A.R., but the Canadian ring spinner makes to move around the wounded machine, and with Sauron hurt this makes it far easier. Overturning a bit, Lian leaves Sauron's side open, and in an effort to back off unfortunately sends his robot spinning backwards! Tracy takes the golden opportunity and nails that same side again, hoping to wholly kill off Sauron. More armour is ripped away and the side seems wholly exposed now, but Sauron still doesn't seem like dying just yet. Amazed that her opponent is still keeping itself going, yet nonetheless annoyed, Tracy spins her machine's ring up again and moves in for the kill. Another massive twin blow is dealt, this time on the other side with the skirt ripped away, and then digging into the main side and ripping it to shreds! Finally, Sauron putters a bit, then ceases all movement...except the axe, which fires randomly. The Watcher moves forward, and pronounces Sauron's judgment:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10!

Sauron is out, and the house robots move back in...S.O.T.A.R. moves away to find what Gabriel's been doing...well, Venus Fly Trap managed to flip itself back over after Gabriel flipped it, but Gabriel kept flipping it, and the battered Scottish machine was helpless to do anything! Along the way they ventured into the pit release button, opening the pit, and now S.O.T.A.R. enters the fray! Gabriel backs off allowing his apparent teammate some killing room...and VFT2 charges straight into S.O.T.A.R.! With another almighty CRASH!!! VFT2 is flung into the wall, the front now looking as bad as Sauron's sides were, but S.O.T.A.R. is tossed backwards like a beer cap! And...seems unable to spin up! I say, have all the blows taken their toll on the Team Alt machine, the recoil too much? Maybe so! S.O.T.A.R. seems to be spouting smoke now as well, but unlike Sauron is fully mobile still! VFT2 tries to go after the helpless machine, but Gabriel V is there and scoops up VFT2 onto the nosecone! Oh no! S.O.T.A.R. indeed HAS stopped moving! What's happened?! Quickly Joey manoeuvres VFT2 towards the pit, but The Watcher is quickly on S.O.T.A.R.'s case!
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 -
    But no, Gabriel manages to shunt VFT2 into the pit at the last second, and engulfed in smoke are three competitors...two in the arena, and one in the pit! But it's S.O.T.A.R. that moves on with Gabriel V!

CEASE!

Sauron is sent back into the shadows, while Venus Fly Trap II is fried by the looking glass...or should I say magnifying glass?
    S.O.T.A.R. and Gabriel V advance to Round 2!

Next battle: BIACS By Popular Demand vs. Sheer Heart Attack 2 vs. Vertigo vs. O.I.D.

Tactics? Thoughts? Threats?

Sweet opener !

My tactics are given above I believe^^

Melee 2
    BIACS By Popular Demand vs. Sheer Heart Attack 2 vs. Vertigo vs. O.I.D.

From King's Cross, London...BIACS By Popular Demand!
    (created by Zarte Siempre)
    The 'dark horse' of the robot world, with a wedge on two arms protecting the wheels, and a powerful vertical flywheel supposed by castors above and below. Similar to other axlebots Pulverizer and Stinger. The wedge won't last long though with only 3mm titanium armour, and there may be some control problems...

From Enschede in the Netherlands...Sheer Heart Attack 2!
    (created by Martijn Benschop)
    What more can be said about the C&B2 champion that hasn't been said already? Thick titanium armour for the main body, the spinning drum, AND the tracks themselves, which are powered quite beautifully...add the rear wedges and kJ output the drum has, and you're looking at one hell of a robot! The tracks ARE exposed, however...

From Liverpool...Vertigo!
    (created by Lewis Matthews)
    Named after the U2 song, this box-wedge has a tough, powerful flipping plate which doesn't hinder its invertibility, and quite a powerful drivetrain! There are stoppers on the wedge to prevent robots driving over it, which an be quite useful in this particular fight...but if it runs out of flipping power, it can only ram. If it doesn't...look out below!

From Richmond-Upon-Thames...O.I.D.!
    (created by Jack Orr)
    Stands for Oh I'm Dizzy!. A invertible triangular-shaped robot with a nasty 20kg horizontal flywheel at the front, 2WD, and a hinged wedge at the rear. Hardox armour makes it seem tough as well, but this is its first try in the Crash & Burn series, so experience may be an issue...is O.I.D. delusional, or can it spin its opponents into a whirlwind of confusion?

Roboteers, stand by...

House robots are Renegade and King Leer, ready for some scrapping!

ACTIVATE!

There goes the klaxon at the ACTIVATE...meaning the 2nd battle is underway! Vertigo is immediately launching an attack at O.I.D., who seems startled at the quickness of the machine from Liverpool, and it doesn't have time to attack because Vertigo is under the side and throws it straight across the arena! Meanwhile the C&B2 champ and BIACS By Popular Demand are squaring off, and with a deafening CRASH the two come to blows! Only BIACS came out of that collision better, and we can see why! A small dent has been made in the drum of SHA2, between the teeth! A very tight blow that, but it worked in Zarte's favour! An angered SHA2 comes back though, and revving their weapons up again they trade another smashing blow...and this time, teeth meet head-on! SHA2 is nearly upended while BIACS flies backwards, a bit buckled but otherwise fine! As the two trade further blows, Vertigo is truly having his way with O.I.D., having gotten under and thrown his fellow from Richmond-Upon-Thames into the arena wall, the flywheel not having a chance to make a mark upon Vertigo as O.I.D. meets the wall flywheel-first. Going for the OOTA Vertigo gets under again and tosses, and a quick end is spelt for Jack Orr as O.I.D. sails over the fence and out of competition!

Having secured an OOTA and absurdly pleased with himself, Lewis turns his attention to BIACS, Zarte managing to get lucky and get another blow between SHA2's drum teeth and dent the drum further. Vertigo races straight in, but BIACS' wedge manages to get under the flipping plate, NOT the main body however! The wedge travels over the stoppers and, going further into the back of the wedge, catches the stoppers and jams the flipping plate open! This would have been good for Zarte, but even if Vertigo didn't have 2 more wheels, its motors overpower BIACS', and so Vertigo shoves BIACS forwards, and into the path of the incoming SHA2! There is a terrific CRASH, and SHA2 goes flying backwards! There are some sparks which suggest to all of us that there was another teeth meeting, and Martijn seems worried...because that's exactly what happened, and the drum is missing a tooth now, unlike BIACS' disc! With BIACS firmly attached to his robot, Lewis goes for the pit release, but SHA2 is after Vertigo in a blazing fury, its drum spinning back up with apparently little mechanical damage! Vertigo suddenly swings around and bears BIACS' to the front of SHA2, and YIKES! That had to hurt! The left side track of SHA2 got that blow...did it withstand the blow? We'll find out soon enough...Vertigo backs into the pit release button, but it is definitely clear that BIACS' disc HAS done something to SHA2's mobility! Yes, the feared C&B2 champion is moving about in a circle, but no external damage has been really done which means something must have been done inside the machine! Whatever the case, being only able to move about in a circle means your luck's run out! As to confirm this, The Watcher sidles over and begins the death knell for the Dutch robot!
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10!

CEASE!

O.I.D. is spinning and spinning and spinning and...no longer spinning, while Sheer Heart Attack 2 suffers disheartening destruction!
    BIACS By Popular Demand and Vertigo advance to Round 2!

----

Heat A
    Round 2

S.O.T.A.R. vs. BIACS By Popular Demand
    Vertigo vs. Gabriel V

Gabriel V vs. Vertigo: I can't think of much else beyond 'outmanoeuvre it, using the better 2WD, and get it down the pit or into the house robots as quickly as possible', so...um...that's what Gabriel's tactics will be

Good luck Lewis and great fights Kody

GABRIEL WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY: ...meep? >_>

Free wifi in some restaurant on my phone in Spain :P forgot to mention I was off on holidays sorry guys

Excellent fights Kody against Gabriel I will try and use my larger area of attack to flip him more times than he can flip me, and my more powerful drive (IIRC) to dominate and ram him around the arena. Try and flip him OOTA, into the pit, or into house robots if I can Good luck Joey!

Register To Comment