Register To Comment
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Cicatrix Build Diary

Just a very quick reply as I'm heading out shortly.
    That's a bit different from what I expected, which is then confusing relating to the instructions. But the conversion should still be possible. The connections you solder on to on the trainer port circuit board should be able to be traced back to a point on the main circuit board inside the controller, so if you can find them, you should just be able to solder direct to them. The only difference is that you are interrupting the wires at a different point than you would be if you soldered to the trainer board, but that won't have any effect on the functionality of the conversion kit.

It's a Field Force 6 yeah? I'll try and get a picture of the connection points to the main board in my transmitter later on and post it up.

Yeah it is a Field Force 6 Jamie, it did make the instructions rather confusing. That would be great, cheers .

Looks like they've rewired the trainer connector to be used for a external weapon switch (so somebody else fires the weapons). Conversion is still possible just harder to find the connection points.

No problemo; been busy the past couple of weekends living life like a student again, but got a day off tomorrow (woohoo) so will get that sorted

No hurry really, have plenty of other radio sets to do testing with .

I've got the photos, but I need to do a little editing to them just to make it clear what bits are what. But I'm loaded with a cold/virus at the moment (my body's way of telling me that I can no longer go out on consecutive weekends, drink lots, go to bed late, and expect to get away with it!) so some point before the weekend, hopefully tomorrow, I'll get them up.

If it's any consolation, it should hopefully still be a doddle

Okay, photo time!

Firstly, if you still had the trainer port board, the connection going in would look like this:

[attachment=2:3i026rkb]DSCN6229.JPG[/attachment:3i026rkb]

Connections are:

• +ve = red
      -ve = brown
      PPM = yellow

Can't exactly remember what orange is but it isn't needed for the conversion.

I'm not sure what's gone on inside your transmitter when the trainer port's been modded, but these wires then go to the circuit board running vertically between the two sticks of the transmitter:

[attachment=1:3i026rkb]DSCN6231.JPG[/attachment:3i026rkb]

And a close-up:

[attachment=0:3i026rkb]DSCN6230.JPG[/attachment:3i026rkb]

I couldn't get in behind the board to double-check, but the red and yellow wire positions are clear enough, and I'm pretty sure the brown wire connects to the bottom-most solder pad in that picture. If the wires have just been cut as part of the trainer modification and there is enough length left on them, then it should just be easy enough to solder your wires to it. If they've been un-soldered from the circuit board then it'll be a bit more fiddly to try and get them attached.

If your transmitter doesn't have any of those connections, then I'm not too sure where the next connections points would be. Technically, positive and negative can probably be taken off any part of the transmitter power lines, such as where the battery connections are soldered on, but the PPM line is the important one so it's knowing where that goes after it connects to the circuit board.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ahh ok, I still have those wires attached to the transmitter and know where you mean. Looks like it might be easier if I hacked off the connection to those 4 wires that used to lead to the trainer port and solder them to the wires coming from the FrSky, rather than going directly onto the board? If that should work then i'll give it a try tomorrow.

Cheers for that Jamie

I didn't word part of my post very well but yeah that's what I mean; if the wires are still there, then just solder direct to them. Saves you having to mess about with intricate soldering at the circuit board end

Drumroll destroying an old pc monitor. We were working on Eric too though, honest...

Register To Comment