Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Robot Shells

I bought and have been rebuilding Scar (albeit to static display standards at the moment) over the past few months and I have surprised myself with how much I have been enjoying it, possibly even more so than building a machine from scratch.

Do you reckon there are any other former machines, preferably ones people would recognise be it from Robot Wars or from the modern circuit, hiding away somewhere that would be available to receive the same treatment? Also do you reckon it would be worth contacting any former Roboteers if that is the case but they don't use these forums? Or would that be a bit intrusive? I really fancy getting the old machines involved again at least with static displays.

Hope someone can advise me, Many thanks.

Yeah I reckoned most of the websites would be dead, but I know there is a list of contact details that Ian Watts has on his site, was wondering if that would be worth a go, but I don't want to seem rude contacting people out of the blue, and also the email addresses may have died with the websites in some cases. Gemini was a cracking machine, shame you didn't get it and reunite the cluster, even if it was just for the chance to see them at shows. I can understand that people may have trouble parting with their machines though, even if they knew I wasn't planning to fight them again (if thats what they wanted), just keep them as static displays that I could bring to events rather than have them rusting away in a garage. Widow Twanky is still fairly active though, on here at least, so didn't think they'd fancy my plan.

Haha good idea prioritising the wedding, I can imagine she would be pretty pee'd off if you built the robot instead. Although the outcome of that argument may save you a lot of money from the wedding lol.

i have always wanted to do something like this but never even had the first clue were to even start looking

As have I Matt,I got lucky finding Scar pretty quickly. Thats something ive noticed about the roboteering community in the whole, everyone seems to be pretty decent about answering questions and generally helping eachother out.

Ill use that contact list I have and see whats happening with some of the old machines and heres hoping we can see some of them in static displays at least in the near future.

If you know any robots that underwent several remakes during their Robot Wars days, it may be easier to try and pursue them for static projects. Taking Firestorm for example, I think it reached its 5th generation during the show and I'm sure I remember hearing/reading that they made a new chassis at least once during those five incarnations. While they may not be willing to part with the most recent version, they might have an older chassis lying empty somewhere that they could be more willing to part with and that could be brought back up to display standard.

Good plan Jamie, I never thought about that, but that is a good plan. Getting Firestorm II would be funny, Scars one and only battle haha.

I would love to see the house robots from the show in static display. Does that guy that made them ever partake in events?

The common knowledge seems to be that the house robots are stored in a warehouse somewhere, the location of which is known by few people, one being Chris Reynolds, who was head of the BBC Visual Effects department at the time of Robot Wars.

I've never known him to be at any events; I'd imagine he's quite busy in his current work: http://www.alleffects.com/index.html

The only house robot shell that's been at an event in a long time is that of Sergeant Bash, appearing at Robots Live (not sure how many times) back in, I think, 2007.
    However if you ever need some sort of house robot fix, Major Damage isn't too dissimilar to Mr. Psycho, and if you replaced its hammer with a circular saw, Battle Axe from Robots Live would be a dead ringer for Dead Metal

Register To Comment