Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using tools for arming and disarming robots???

HI Guys,

Ill keep it short.....

I was never a fan of using tools to turn gas bottles on and off, in fact i was dead against it, until i converted when i built the previous version of Ripper, as the gas bottle was in an awkward position.

I feel that the tool has made my life a lot safer as I dont have my hand any where near my robot when arming it up.
    If it was to fire, theres no way I'd be getting hurt !!

I think we should look to make it compulsary for people to NOT be putting hands inside robots when arming, and the standard tool should be used.

Whats peoples opinions?

John

i totally agree for robots where you may have to stand in front or near the flipper in order to turn on the gas, but in the case of my robot the gas is located round the back next to the link under the link cover. i personally do not think that robots like this should be required to use tools. maybe make the rule gas must be opened by a tool if there is a danger that you might get flipped/axed/eaten by opening manually.

Roboteer

Each to his own .......
    In the safest mannor in line with the machine ...... and the nature off the machine .....

ALL THE BEST TEAM TILLY

its not about where you are in relation to the robot its about people putting hands inside robots.

IMHO

John

With all this wireless technology in existence these days, can't you just use wireless CO2 or something?

On a serious note - although I'm not a part of the flipping brigade - a tool seems and always has seemed a sensible option for arming up. Anything that helps to minimise risk to the arena marshal/roboteer should be considered. I remember someone saying that a disadvantage of using a tool for dis-arming was that if the area where the tool is used was damaged during a fight and it became impossible to insert the tool, you'd have trouble turning off the gas, but then again, the current accessible hole method is just as susceptible to sustaining damage that can render access difficult.

Again it's been mentioned before, but a universal tool would be a cert in my eyes, save the poor arena marshals having to keep a hold of umpteen different tools for umpteen different robots during a fight.

Is this be something people would be looking to implement in the FW class too, or is it more desirable in the HW class due to the heavy and more lethal nature of the machines?

ahh i see

would there be a minimum size of the tool, or could you use a pair of pliers or something similar to turn on the gas?

it would be for heavyweights only.

we currently use a standard tool..... 17mm socket on the end of a bottle top.
    Gas bottles are fitted with a 17mm nut.

John

I can see thats easily done for the tank screwtop but how do you get to the dump valve, mine is just in the robot and so is the link ?

Surely the bot should be designed so that all the activation valves and links are easily accessible? Poor design should never be an excuse for changing a rule. Allowing a tool to be used to reach into a machine would surely encourage people to make things even more difficult to deactivate? IE the valve is located right there, you gotta twist the tool around this specific path to reach it

I can probably count a half dozen times when I have been thankful that no activation of my robots has been hidden away under panels and difficult to get to in an emergency. If something goes wrong during a bench test I want the robot dead asap without having to make sure I have a specific tool beside me. It would only take one time to forget this for something to severely go wrong.

The current rules (as it was in Robot Wars) are clear that gas must be able to be turned off or on and access panels opened without the use of a tool. The idea, as has been voiced, is speed of operation. Links and dump valves should be very close to the surface so hands don't have to go in the robot to kill it.
    For example, although I have to put my hand inside Pressure to operate the gas valve, the link and dump valve are immediately behind the access panel, so in the event of an urgent kill requirement you can yank the link and dump the gas safely.
    The gas valve, link and dump valve of Skink are all right behind the access panel.
    The gas valve of Pressure mkV will be at the surface.
    It makes sense, when a robot is designed, to put everything within immediate access so anyone can kill a robot if need be, using tools is inherantly slower.

Register To Comment