Register To Comment

Thread: Would these motors work well?

Hiya, welcome to the forum!

Most antweights use motors that are smaller than those - 12mm Sanyo-type gearmotors from Solarbotics and Pololu - or a few robots are still on modified R/C servos. The weight of those motors (30g) could be prohibitive though, and the current draw limits what components you can use as of all the currently used controllers only the Scorpion Mini or Sabertooth 2x5A would handle that current safely, and your batteries would have to be able to provide the current as well. (also some of them are rated at 12v and above)

If you could use them with some good tyres and get within the 4 cube/150g limit though you'd have something quite powerful on your hands

P.S: I'd advise you to check the antweight forums as well, as quite a lot of ant builders frequent those and not the FRA boards (the ant events being run outside of the FRA's jurisdiction): http://www.robotwars101.org/phpBB/index.php is the place to go ^^

No probs, happy to help.

Building your own speed controllers is a topic for people far more advanced than myself I'm afraid :P it's fraught with strange electrical niggles and the need for expert knowledge (Peter Waller has built - and sells - his own controllers for his ants but he's a retired electronics engineer and winner of more trophies than any sane human being I know). In a pinch you can try using the controller boards from large standard size servos as speed controllers, with the pot either fixed or replaced with resistors, but most people use Sabertooths, Scorpion Minis, SOZBOTS boards or Peter's controllers.

Getting in the weight limit and cube is all part of the challenge in ants :P look at a few pictures on RW101 and elsewhere (http://www.antweight.co.uk/ is a good site for ant pics) to get an idea of what can be done in the limit.

I think a Sabertooth controller will run them comfortably actually, can't see why you'd need custom electronics unless you're using encoders or want to do something else electronically advanced...the starting current for the highest draw ones is just over 3A and the Sabertooth will handle 5A comfortably on both channels.

Servo boards may work, they may not work, the main issue with them is that servos - as I've found out - are very poorly specified so you don't know the limits until you've tested them to breaking point :P

With my 4wd antweight Baby Hell, I use 2 x Banebots 3A controllers that are sandwiched close together, they are probably the most compact controllers you can get.

4wd, were in competition now

Register To Comment