Register To Comment

Thread: From The Ground Up (Advice Thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hello! I am Roland, I'm new to the forum and thought I should introduce myself before I start rambling.

Here goes.

I'm 14 years old, and I'm a total newbie to building robots.
    I'm wanting to have building Robots as my active hobby, I no longer see sitting and playing Xbox all day as a sufficient and productive way to spend my life, I enjoy engineering and electronics from what experience I have. I also want to make my Grandpa proud before he passes away.
    I'd like to say that I've looked into building robots for a couple of months now seriously, and have considered it for more than a few year - my grandpa was an offshore BP engineer, and whenever I visit we spend a lot of time in his garage making things (Which has given me a small amount of experience in using clamps, angle grinders, saws, drills and the spinney thing which makes stair banisters of which name surpasses me!) which gave me the idea to start. So I have come to the conclusion that my best bet was to get advice from real professionals rather than spending endless hours on Google. So I'm starting from right at the bottom. What I want to know is, can YOU help me with getting started?

Specifically, I would like to know,
    What tools do I need?
    Where and for what price can I get tools?
    Where and for what price can I get internals?
    What internals do I need?
    How much space will I need to build featherweights?
    Where can I learn the electronics and engineering to build one?
    What method of transport other than trailer/boot (Which I would still have access to) would you suggest?
    If I were to get into a bit of a bother, would anyone be able to give me advice on what to do?
    How exactly do YOU deal with the risks of building robots?

So, those are my questions, I know it's a long list, and I thank anyone in advance for helping out.
    Oh, and money isn't a problem, I earn round £60 a month from pocket money and helping my dad and I am looking for a part time job + whatever I earn from items I sell using amazon/ebay, I'm certain my Parents will support me when I have understood enough of it to be trusted to not do anything too awful and I can show myself as willing to act mature about it and to prove I can handle the responsibility.

-Roland (Sorry for the awful grammar)

Edit: I'm not expecting to have a robot in two months time, I understand this possibly and most likely will take a long time possibly more than a year, more than two!

With a sabretooth only 1 LED should be lit in normal operations (the blue one). Red one only comes on if there is a problem.

As for the binding issue, here is how you should do it:

1: Put bind plug in the Batt/bind slot on your RX
    2: plug a receiver pack (or some other 4.8-6v power source) into any other socket. Make sure the polarity matches the little symbols on the RX's case. It should be flashing its amber LED.
    3: On the TX, pull the switch marked 'Trainer' towards you and hold it there. Turn on the TX; all the power lights should light up and flash.
    4: The amber light on the receiver should blink slowly, go out, then go solidly on. Release the trainer switch. Job done.

If it does not work, then your receiver is probably knackerd.

Ah I see where you're going wrong. Leave the sabretooth to one side. You've connected a positive to the RX but no negative for it to connect with. Use just a normal RC battery pack and leave the middle wire in your home made bind plug alone. You can use the sabretooth if you want, just plug one of the channel leads into another socket (the positive and negative are parallel so it doesn't matter where you plug it for this bit).

all you need to do in order is

plug in the bind plug (connecting top and bottom pin)

plug in the battery or power to the rx eg something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miniature-...item35c8343811 or an esc with built in bec

then pull the long toggle switch on the left of the transmitter and turn it on cant quite remember how long for tho

and it should bind

have you watched this

Register To Comment