Register To Comment
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Weight Spinners 2011 !!

Roboteer

Quote Originally Posted by psycho_fling
    I think some people might be getting confused on jonnos concept

i believe he would/might limit the disc material to certain metals and the wood concept comes in for the armour

so all the entrants have metal discs of certain restrictions and are outside at least covered in wood to add the destruction element

alex
    Damn and I had just placed an order for a nice large balsa disc for our new weapon system
    Team Toon:
    Heavyweight UK Champion 2015
    Robot Wars World Annihilator Champion 2015
    Heavyweight Tag Team Champion 2012
    Featherweight UK Champion 2010
    Featherweight Annihilator Champion 2009,2011 & 2014
    Rebel Robots Champion 2009
    Pika Annihilator Champion (Belgium) 2012
    Tanja Trophy Winner 2010
    Team Champions ( Team Barbie) 2011

Its nice to see some good thinking going on here, but I am a little worried about the concept of any form of spinner in an arena with a net roof or a single gap in the screening.
    A Bosch 750 can get a disc with some pretty serious power in it, and limiting the diamtre isnt nessasarilly going to effect too much. Compare it to the old scorpion Jnr, 1 astroflight (similar/less power to a bosch 750), a tiny diametre disc and thats pretty powerfull! There's no way I would run that in an arena with a net roof after the testing we conducted during our arena build.

It only requires a single bolt to be hit by a disc to have a serious projectile, and after the few close calls in past events I dont think safety can be comprimised by running any form of spinner in a net roof (unless it gets to the point they will hardly damage wood).

I will try and think up some ideas that could make it work....

@ Clive

yeh i had a similar conversation with jonno today,

well the whole point of the wood was for the destruction element

Just a few thoughts on the idea

Arena
    With regards to bits coming through the roof of the arena my first thought would be to leave the netting as usual and then fit over that 1 of 2 parachutes or similar secured to the sides only and left to rest in folds on top.
    As anything makes its way out of the arena the light but strong material from a parachute would wrap around it and then slow its speed down till it had no energy to penetrate the parachute, the trick is in letting it fold onto the old roof material.

Spinner
    The main thing to watch is tip speed this will more or less dictate how fast any bit will be flying off the robot. Also I would advise the disc is made with the teeth as one piece. This will eliminate any problems with hard tips breaking off when bolts shear. Case hardened mild steel would be good for this application.

Sacrificial Armour
    HDPE would be very good for this as long as it was held on with a hopeless fixing, like Velcro as this would mean you could pick up the same armour parts after the fight and just stick them back on. A few Pyrotechnics and everyone is happy and no repair costs to worry about.

Hope this helps

Craig

Register To Comment