Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overvolting

does anyone know if its worth overvolting a 24v motor like this one:
    http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//pr ... 2cefc40094

im hopefully getting a relay motor control box from razordave that can run on up to 36v, so i just wanted to know if i tested it out on that voltage if their is any chance of damaging the motor (or if their is any point).

Quote Originally Posted by elobire
    im hopefully getting a relay motor control box from razordave that can run on up to 36v, so i just wanted to know if i tested it out on that voltage if their is any chance of damaging the motor (or if their is any point).
    With overvolting you can always damage a motor. Most of the time, it is not even necessary to overvolt anyway. It is more or less dependent on what you will use the motor for and if the power supplied will be sufficient. 99% of the time I don't overvolt my motors. That 1% of the time I did, I snapped the axle from it.

If you are going to overvolt, stick to 150% maximum of the nominal voltage so 36V on a 24V motor would be okay.

Is it possible to use this motor whit a Sabertooth 2x25 A speedcontroler?

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/551562.asp

I have read somewhere ( perhaps on this forum ) that the Sabertooth can
    take damage if you overvolt the motor to much...

The only way to know is to find out :P

Hobby motors are very poorly specified so there's not a lot of information about amp draw to go on, so it would probably depends largely on what you were using it for (weapon? drive? helicopter blades?). The only issues I know of with the Sabertooth controller are that they won't take 24v as a 24v pack will peak at well over 26v when fully charged (as Gary Cairns found out), and the current limiting is very good so if your motors are overvolted they may stop if rapidly accelerated as the initial amp draw is higher.

Hope all that helps.

6 Lipo cells might be pushing the limit of what the controller can take - my system only runs on 3 cells though so I don't know for certain if it would take 6 fully charged cells, I'd get a second opinion on the matter.

Register To Comment