Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pneumatics

Start small, my friend. No experience doesn't sound brilliant for a complicated bot like the one you're suggesting, do you have access to tools? Welder?

And small budget, well, with about £200 (very, very cheap) I've managed to collect the parts for a simple first time push-bot, powered by the cheapest of everything, that being drill motors, electronize ESCs and the cheapest transmitter-reciever in existence.

If everyone could build the Chaos 2 of their dreams first time, this hobby wouldn't exist! :P

Ben, welcome to the club. A pneumatics machine is indeed a great undertaking however not out of the scope of a new comer if you have the relevant experience. If you could give us a rough idea of your background and workshop access/experience then it would be easier to give you advice as to the best route to take.

I would highly advise getting yourself along to a robot event in your area and ask ask ask. You will be surprised at how willing people are to talk you through the machine they have just spent months and months building away in their shed or garage

Also take a look at the latest set of rules on the main page of the FRA

Roboteer

Hi Ben
    Welcome to the weird and wonderfull world of robots,

For your first robot as said by others best to go for a simple push bot to start this can be done very cheaply around £100. then later on you can evolve the running chassis you have to encorporate a wepon such as a lifter or a co2 powered flipper .

Basics first is get yourself a transmitter and receiver set up ( 2.4ghz ) recommended
    around £45 then a couple of cordless drills this give you motors and batteries around £10 each two servos and 4 microswitchs makes for a direction controler ( note i didnt say speed controler) as this give full drive in either direction as most newbies use full throttle anyway why bother with a speed controler they come later ,

Then you need to design your robot shape and make your chassis bear in mind what you need to fit in place it all in your chassis cover paint and have loads of fun .

This forum is a wealth of knowledge so use it dont be afraid to ask questions as we all like to help out and bring along new roboteers ....

Pete
    ALL THE BEST TEAM TILLY

My advice would be build something with a pneumatic system in mind but don't build in to start with. Then get to a couple of events see other machines, ask people explain their systems (nothing is top secret - not like F1). You will learn a lot and probably realise that 13.6Kg isn't a lot of weight in reality, just going from experience on that one.

id go with 12volt drills that way you can over volt them

i would stick to tested robot speedos

a sabertooth 25a would be good and in your price range, try www.technobots.co.uk

that esc you linked to has a max voltage of 9.6volt which assuming it means nicads isnt great

hope this helps

Register To Comment