Register To Comment
Page 46 of 91 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: RogueTwo Robots

The lipo access is not the quickest in the world admittedly. I looked at several different positions for the lipo that allowed the easiest access but there weren't a lot of options that didn't have the lipo covered by some sort of electrical connections or ESCs.

To remove: there are four M6 bolts in the base that I take off, which allows the outer and rear bulkheads to lift away, leaving good access to the innards. I then remove the two wing-nuts holding on the Scorpion and link and move it to the side. Then the four smaller M4 bolts holding the white cover on the lipo. So a bit fiddly, but with a screw gun and the right drivers, I imagine I will be able to remove it in just under a minute.

The lipo is a 'Gens Ace' brand I bought from Giant Cod. Not a well-known brand as they seem quite new, but have good reports so far so I'm trying my luck with them to see how they go.
    Rough dimensions (from memory) are about 120mm long, 35mm wide and 25-30mm high and that is for an 18.5V, 2200mAh 40C battery. Not sure if that will be enough for a battle, will need to do some testing to find out. If not, Giant Cod now have a 5000mAh, 50C version that I could upgrade to, probably without having to worry about space or weight.

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/gens-2200mah- ... 06486.html (2200mAh battery)
    http://www.giantcod.co.uk/cell-lipo-bat ... 1_130.html (5-cell packs, different ratings)

And the bolts holding the battery down are just tapped into the Nylon. It tends to hold threads better than HDPE so will suffice so long as I don't over-tighten them.

looks ok, id be abit worried only running 2.2amp though... how many amps does drumroll normaly pull? Will be more once uve gone brushless...

No idea what the usual current-draw per battle is, only recently got a charger that tells me how much it puts back in to the batteries. The 2200mAh battery was the one with the best 'C' rating they had at the time so I went with it, but the higher capacity ones are a more recent addition. I know over-discharging isn't good for lipos, so if the tests show that the robot is going to be draining the pack quite severely, I'll just get a bigger pack and put the current one into Carcinus, as it's not a current hungry bot.

Not much of an update, but just to display Kenny's handiwork before I shove them in a tube and weld them shut:

Coolio my noolio :P what are they made from?

Just stainless steel. Shiny stainless steel

Looks excellent man, do they add any useful weight to the drum compared to the old style ones. Although most of the advantage will be the the speed increase/reliability i'm sure.

Technically they should, as the old ones were just flat circular discs, whereas these have the hollow innards and thicker outer rims. But any inertia increase will probably be minimal. Should be more reliable though yeah, and will spin much more freely compared to the old bearings.

Really need to get my drum made

Also, was just digging around photobucket earlier, once you have the end caps and brushless setup all fitted you need to have a Drumroll II vs LCD monitor round 2 :P

Register To Comment