Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big motor for weapon

24v plus about 10hp
    W.H.Y!!

Sounds like a LEM to me. The best I can offer is a 24V Iskra 1.2kW, heavy though.

Thanks Ed
    I already have one of them and a small Perm 80 I was hoping for a bigger motor it's a long term project so I will have to be patient.

Your likely to need to run 36v atleast to get that sort of power from sensibly sized motor.

At 24v and 10hp, your looking at drawing over 600A easily. So you need some pretty good batteries!

I'd suggest an etek. Got a couple sitting in the shed but I'm keeping a hold of them. You can usually find them on ebay for a couple hundred quid. Fair bit bigger and heavier than a LEM but a hell of a lot cheaper.

O and yeah you'll be needing 36V for that kind of power!

That€™s quite right that is why i put 24v plus the plus being anything up to 72v though combat machines are capped to about 48v nominal these days.
    A Perm 132 would be ok, running at 48volts with a modified Wotty and lots of A123 packs should do it but i can't justify the expense of a new motor just to run for a few seconds every month! A Lem 170 (5000watts) works out at £750 plus VAT!

Whats it for?

If its pure power you're after you can always look towards brushless tech

Hi Craig

The Nipper guys were selling a 9hp (i think) brushless motor not sure if you want brushless or not but its not that big

The idea is to use the motor to drive a weapon (Sword) so I was thinking of a motor that would be reversible, I don€™t think the Brushless motors drive backwards that easily, mainly because of the speed controller these motors use, but it is an idea.

brushless can be used to go in reverse if your clever with them even with a one directional speed controller.

Use a relay to switch over two of the motor leads for reverse. as shown here;

http://www.wa4dsy.net/robot/omegaforce2/index.html

But to get a brushless motor with a good start up power for a heavyweight axe you'd probably want a sensored motor with a sensored esc, which is going to cost an arm and a leg and im not sure you'll find one with enough power and even then im not sure you could simply switch the polarity of two motor wires.. might need to change somthing on the sensing system aswell... basicaly i doubt its worth it, probably cheaper, easyer and more reliable to go for brushed.

But if its for a heavyweight hammer.. an e-teck is probably your best bet.
    http://b-e-t-a.com/

Register To Comment