Hi everyone,

Im new to this forum, just wanted to introduce myself and say Hi.

Also, I am designing Heavy Weight combat robot and had a question with regards to its locamotion:

Currently i am probably going to use 2 x S28-400 magmotors, with 26Nm torque per magmotor at stall. With two motors my cobined torque will be 52Nm (in theory), once geared down, i have 628Nm total torque (at stall with a 12:1 ratio). If i have four of these motors, i will have 1256Nm at stall.

I guess im being a bit greedy, but i want very high torque and a relatively fast travel speed to maximise ramming impacts. If i use four motors (when i have the cash to by two more that is ) then i could easilly put out the 628Nm of torque without stalling the motor but run the robot at a higher speed as well (when compared to the 2 motor set up). Note: my motors are not attached to the wheel axle, but will all be geared down via chain and sprocket.

I guess this will demand more juice from the batteries and also require larger ones, thus increasing weight. But if its a sensible soultion then I might give it a shot. Though i will need an ESC capable of handling such high currents (most i've looked at can only deal with 120 to 140A for a short ammount of time.)

I want to use the four motors in a differential steering set up, but dont know quite how to wire this up to a speed controller which would normally do 2 motors, maybe i would need two speed controllers, but i cant find alot of info about it. I guess i could wire the motor in parrallel?

Are four motors common amoungst heavy weight bots?

Hope that all makes sense

Any advice would be most appreciated.

P.s, I have seen the superheavyweight category in the FRA regs, is this a standard weight, as it mentions giving prior notification to the FRA before comencing build on a SHW?

Cheers

Mech King