Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: close shaves???

I don't think this has been done before but anyway---------- any one got any stories of a close incounter with nearly getting serously hurt whilst making or testing a robot?

i've only really got the time i was grinding something whilst wearing saftey glasses -not goggles and a stray spark got behind them and it only just missed my eye.

any one else?

I once had an accident when working on Storm Force in my garage

I had it propped up on its back end as I was taking it off the cradle, After I removed the cradle from underneath, I was going to lower SF down slowly onto its wheels, but when lowering it, I accidently dropped it and it landed on my poor toe! I can remember I was jumping about on one foot in the garage shouting and swearing. I was worried as I was going to a ceilidh the same week but luckilly my toe wasn't broken.
    Liam Bryant
    Team Bud

WJ has had the closest death

theres a video of it the flipper fired and was just 2 close to his head

ill have a look for the video but if any1 else has it upload it

pretty sure it was WJ

Quote Originally Posted by john
    WJ has had the closest death

theres a video of it the flipper fired and was just 2 close to his head

ill have a look for the video but if any1 else has it upload it

pretty sure it was WJ
    It was, twice. Once during the build, once in Rijswijk as he walked away from the robot.

Who was it that got knocked out by a flipper in Newark?

Roboteer

St Agro That was
    Cant remember his name atm
    ALL THE BEST TEAM TILLY

Terry Carlin was the one who got knocked out by St Agro.

Terry explained what happened when we bought it off him last year.

Apparrently he was arming up St Agro in the usual way, rx switch on, link in, close dump valve, turn on gas and drive across the arena...

...however, when he went to drive it over to the other side of the arena it refused to move. He noticed that the rx switch was in the off position, it hadn't been switched off from the previous fight and when arming up he had switched it off. He flicked the switch which turned on the electronize switch which fires the flipper. The flipper fired and due to the design, the whole robot flips over so it hit him and knocked him out.

Since we heard about this incident we have changed the arming up procedure for Maelstrom so that this should never be able to happen again, we always lock the flipper open while arming up so that the worst that could happen is that the flippers try to crush the restraint.

Do we really want these types of stories live on a public forum?

Register To Comment