Register To Comment
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Robo Challenge Tag Team Champs & Power Tool Drag racing!

Now there's the question that bugs me - would a sanding belt qualify as destructive grip or not?

we was going to build one anyway so will be all fun

grant, is there prize money for the robots or just for the drags? i couldnt see on your website the break down

Quote Originally Posted by psychostorm
    Now there's the question that bugs me - would a sanding belt qualify as destructive grip or not?
    I was wondering the same thing myself. Not sure if it would count as destructive or non-destructive in the 'modified' class but I was told that for the 'stock' class there is no destructive/non-destructive separation, they all run as one. So belt sanders, circular saws and grinding discs would all be fine.

Personally I feel this rule of mandatory participation in the dragraces to be able to fight in the tag team champs is ridiculous. I hardly let my own sponsors decide where I spend my time, effort, and money on, let alone a sponsor that does absolutely nothing for me. Furthermore if feel mandatory participation is the wrong way of promoting a sport.

following what you've just said, i don't really agree with the powertool drag racing thing as a manditory thing that you have to do to get into the fra tag team championships, but i see the reason why, with the fact that the hall has been used mainly for the tool drag racing and the arena has be kinda put in aswell as a secondary event. but i think with this 10 pound charge of competing i don't see why you would have to then also make a tool drag racer, because if you pay the £10 pound surely that tenner gives you the right to then just enter the tag team competition if you wanted to.

Grant and James have posted the details of the competition along with the requirements for entering. If you don't want to enter or can't meet the entry requirements then don't enter and wait for another suitable comp....simple.

I honestly can't see where the problem is. Reminds me of all the fuss when we had to put LEDs in our machines

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver
    Grant and James have posted the details of the competition along with the requirements for entering. If you don't want to enter or can't meet the entry requirements then don't enter and wait for another suitable comp....simple.

I honestly can't see where the problem is. Reminds me of all the fuss when we had to put LEDs in our machines
    This drag racing has nothing to do with regulations or robots. This is joining two events at the whim of a sponsor where YOU have got to pay for, that is not the same.

We have roboteers here that save every penny just to get a decent transmitter or speed controller, and just to compete they now have shell out even more for a sport they are not even involved in.

The event that the hall has been rented for is the Power Tool Drag Racing championships 2009. The cost of the hall is covered by Silverline. The Robo Challenge Tag Team championships are not a mandatory event on the FRA calendar (they don't need to be held every year in the same way that the FW and HW championships do). The tag champs are running purely for the benefit of us roboteers, due to the fact that it is both a fun competition and another opportunity during the year to run full-combat featherweight fights. Silverline have allowed Robo Challenge to erect the arena and run the event, but on the basis that every tag-team entry must submit a PTDR entry.

I thought the compulsory drag entry requirement was ludicrous at first too, but after learning and considering the above information, it seems fair for Silverline to state this requirement when you take into account that the money for the lease of the hall is coming from their pockets. Running the tag event isn't free either, regardless of the arena being set up in the hall under Silverline's lease; it'll cost the Robo Challenge crew a fair bit to run the event, transport for the arena, fuel for the transport, staff, pit tables etc. I don't know if that's what the £10 entry covers (since there are no active ticket sales for the tag champs) but if it is then I think its perfectly understandable.

I learned all of this after speaking to Grant on MSN; I'm not sure whether or not he'd have wanted me to post it all on to the forum but I think it would help provide a bit of perspective for those who are confused or annoyed by the entry rules. After all, we should be grateful that James and Grant are going to the extra effort of running the tag champs so that we are getting another opportunity this year to play full combat.

While I sympathise with those in the position of perhaps not being able to afford the extra parts for a racer, or have limited resources, its just a case of following Gary's advice and attending the next event that suits your situation.

And no, I'm not an official spokesperson for Silverline or Robo Challenge

I disagree. If the sponsor of the event (who is also the organiser I gather) wants the arena there, it is up to Robochallenge to come up with a deal that will benefit both themselves and the roboteers attending. How much money or effort a sponsor puts into the event is of no relevance to the roboteers. We had an event at Zandvoort with dragsters, dirftcars, and all kind of motorised sports. We negotiated to be a part of that, Jonno arranges to have the robots attending RIAT no strings attached for the roboteers. Whenever an EO is part of another event you make sure the roboteers that will make or break your show are not inconvenienced by that.

This sets a bad precedent, and I want to make that clear before this comes around a second time and then the argument would be well nobody spoke up about that before when we did it.

A very valid point Leo. With exception of the information I posted above, I know nothing of the ins-and-outs of any negotiations for running the tag champs, so I can't comment or provide reasoning. The difference I see between this and the two events you mention is that RR's RIAT events and (I'm assuming) your Zandvoort event were put on with the intention of providing a show for the public, whereas the show at this event is the power tool racing, with the arena being set up entirely for the roboteers. Yes there may well be a viewing public there who will have gathered for the drag racing that will watch the tag champs but we're not putting on shows specifically for them, more a case of allowing us to fight for the sake of us fighting
    This is my understanding of the situation and event at least, but if I'm mistaken on any of it I'm more than happy to be corrected.

I do agree with you Leo that perhaps some clarification or precedent setting for the future may be required to prevent statements such as well nobody spoke up about that before when we did it cropping up, especially considering that this has sat uneasily with some people and has generated a debate (at least its a healthy debate, we're not all having a go at each other's throats )

As a side note, are you hoping to attend this event at all? Would be good to see your machines up close in action again. And I really must get to a European event soon

Register To Comment