Register To Comment
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The Crash & Burn Tournament 4

Re-reserve...

Infusion
    Motivation: 4 x 125mm wheels
    Speed: 0-12MPH [25MPH under Kinetic Boost]
    Clearance: 7.5mm (same inverted) 0mm at the front, the wedge scraps the floor.
    Weight: 100kg
    Height: 125mm
    Length: 800mm
    Width: 600mm
    Weapon: The weapon is a 28kg Hardox spinning ring (Ala MDU) powered by 2 x D-Pack motors @ 24v (Same motors used in Shredderator). The rim rotates at 2500rpm. The weapon is also a storage device for the drive. The spinning rim is connected to each side of the drive via an electromagnetic clutch, when the clutches are engaged, the 31kg kinetic storage bank(the spinning rim) transfers its energy into the drive train, giving it approximately double torque and speed for 2-3 seconds until the rim starts too loose speed and energy. This extra €˜kinetic€™ boost is used to ram into opponents with the front 6mm thick Hardox 500 wedge (similar to the one on Warrior SKF but wider and less depth to it). The front wedge is rubber shock mounted to ensure it survives the biggest of hits.
    Drive: 2 x S28-400 Magmotors on 24v geared 4.8:1. The drive is also assisted via the spinning rim as explain above.
    Batteries: 12 x 8 A123 cell packs. 26.4V @ 27.6Amp/hour
    Armour: Front wedge is made entirely out of 6mm Hardox 500, the top and bottom of the robot is made out of 4mm Hardox 500, The ring is made out of 10mm Hardox 400 with inner bracing to the perimeter bearing. Inner bulk heads are made from 20mm polycarbonate and 10mm aluminium. All internals are mounted on soft urethane mounts for shock protection.
    Notes: Invertible, speed when needed and generally well controlled for a spinner. Ram or Spin, Infusion aims to win!

Kinetic Intent
    Weight: 100KG
    Size (L/W/H): 700MM X 600MM X 100MM
    Speed: 10MPH
    GC: 10mm all round, 0mm under the front of the
    Drive: 3 x S28-400 Magmotors @ 26.4v onto 100mm omniwheels.
    Weapon: Kinetically Driven Inter-modular Weapons (KDIW)

Kinetic Power Source (KPS) - The KPS is the power plant for all the modular weapons. It consists of a 500mm diameter, 12kg flywheel, spun to 4000RPM by a S28-400 Magmotor geared 1:1. The flywheel is enclosed inside the robot, and is used entirely as an energy storage device, it stores 45Kj or energy to be released into the weapon of choice, using an off set cam and electomagnetic clutch to engage/disengage the weapons. Each weapon has it's own different cam profile to suit each weapons design and linkage requirements.

Setup 1 - Power Punch
    The power punch is a 20mm hardened chromnium coated punch/spike. With the energy transfered from the flywheel to the punch, it is capable of punching holes in Hardox up to 5mm. The spike can have it's length adjusted depending on the cam profile setup into the flywheel clutch mechanism, giving it a travel between 150mm and 300mm. This weapon is design to pierce the opponents armour and impale batteries, motors, speedcontrollers or anything behind it... This weapon is used for robots with thin to medium armour. This weapon is not used again FBS or Translational Spinners...

Setup 2 - 4-Bar Launcher
    The 4-bar launcher is based on the weapon of Ziggy. It has a lift of 350mm and is capable of launching 400kg. The flipper is extrmely fast that even with only 350mm of lift, it has enough punch to flip the opponent quickly. This weapon is used against most types, except for FBS or Translational Spinners

Setup 3 - Rear Hinged Flipper
    Based similar to the flipper on Warrior SKF, it's a long flat flipping plate made of Hardox 450 with a short linkage ratio and around 500mm lift capable of launching 250kg. This weapon is used mainly against Spinners, FBS & Translational Spinners, where keeping distance from the opponent can provide an advantage in controlling the fight.

Setup 4 - Axe / Hammer
    The axe / hammer weapon is a rack'n'pinion variant, using the flywheels energy to thrust the axe tip down onto the opponent with lightning speed. This weapon is used against most types, except for FBS or Translational Spinners

Setup 5 - Flamethrower
    Uses vapourised petroleum via a pair of car fuel injectors, with a pressurised air feed behind it powered by a turbo compressor. Flames can travel up to 6ft with temps of around 800'c - 1200'c

Armour/Chassis: 6mm Hardox 400 front sides and back, 3.2mm Hardox 450 top and base plate. Internals are all mounted with 10mm Aluminium bulkheads.
    Batteries: 10 x 8 Cell LiNP packs producing 26.4v @ 18.4Amp/Hours
    Notes: Invertible, easy to control, low centre of gravity and has a large array of weapons.

Some more coming soon...

Reserve me a spot please, I will try to get my entries up later in the day (UTC +7).

All right, Leo.

Aaron, Infusion is definitely okay, but as for Kinetic Intent, there are a few problems. How can such a spike (Set-up 1) penetrate 5mm Hardox? You'll probably have some calculations to shut me up, but I'd still like to see them as that seems unlikely to me. How's it invertible with the axe set-up unless the axe head is shorter than 100mm? And I'm not quite keen on allowing flamethrowers for the competitors, so could you switch the flamethrower attachment with another, or else remove it, please? Thank you.

I honestly can't remember where the figures come from since this design has been dragged out of my archives. I'll try to find the rest of the information on it, if not I'll swap it with another setup. The axe setup isn't invertible (It could be, I've never CAD'd this one up ), but it can selfright by the axe regardless.

Don't be a wuss, let the flamethrower in :P

Thing with flamethrowers, very little people nowadays put FRA rules apply in their rules and even if they do they end up allowing every spinner and his mom as well as every flipper no matter what PSI. Not sure if you should allow flamethrowers myself.

I'll enter Under Presssure, Sheer Heart Attack 2, Liar 2 and With or Without you

Quote Originally Posted by Bblader
    Flamethrowers are actually largely ineffective weapons that tend to do more damage to itself than the enemy: If Aaron wants a joke setup that's practically guaranteed to make him lose if he ever uses it, I say let him.

But that's just me.

When fire gets in all the little holes and wheel wells, lighting electronics and batteries on fire, I wouldn't really call them a joke.

Flamethrowers are mainly banned because of safety I think, there's no real problems with them if they're built and tested properly but the venue needs a licence to run pyrotechnics and risk assessments and other assorted bollocks need to be done, so there are very few around...their effectiveness is somewhat questionable as well, depending on the opposition, but as the designer of lots of petrol powered things I'm keeping my mouth shut :P

Quote Originally Posted by knightrous
    Loling a little at the Warrior SKF clone
    It's cool to clone a robot, but at least find out how it works first :wink:

I'll try to find some links to the photos that show the internals of Warrior SKF, will give you a little more of an idea on how the thing works.

Hope that helps Samuel

Register To Comment