Register To Comment
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pneumatics for my axe

So,I need to sort out my axe.

Could someone please give me a list of every component needed for my axe to work.

My axe will work in the same way terrorhurtz and little hitters work with the rack and pinion,also,can anyone tell me where I can get a ram,rack and pinion for it.

Thanks.

HPC is the obvious choice, but they are very expensive especially for racks, I should know.

You need to work out how much travel you want your axe to have, what cylinder you are using, find a suitable rack to fit the cylinder. Then work out what size pinion you need to get the travel based on the MOD or TDI of the rack.

Take the stroke of the ram and work out what size pinion you need based on the stroke as a percentage of the circumference of the pinion. So if the stoke of 100mm and you want 120 deg travel (say mod1 for ease of calcs) you will need a 100* 3 as the circumferece (120 being a third of 360) so 300 /(2pi) = 47.7 for the rad of the pinion and 96 for the dia and teeth for mod 1. But it probably wont be mod 1 anyway.
    But Im sure you knew all than nonsense anyway, plus i hope I got it right.

As far as pneumatics, bottle, reg, buffer, valve 5/2 or 5/3 valve(same as thz) then ram, plus fittings and pipe. All rated to the pressure you are running at, not forgetting a LP relief valve.

Thanks for the reply.Can you give some links to some of those parts please?Ive got a 600g co2 bottle is this big enough?Thanks again.

I have no idea where to start looking for a ram.

Yep thats what im using as do most people. Just dont copy the rest of my system or else, nah only kidding. I was lucky I had a ram so just had to find a rack to fit it. Mine is a 50 Bore 100 stroke, LH is about 80/80 I think.

Pneumatic stuff tends to be expensive new, start with ebay for valves, cylinders etc. Other things Technobots is as good as anywhere, unless you have your heart set on a particular manufacture, having said that Paul may have some contacts always worth giving him a ring.

Ok,thanks for the help Ed.

LH is 80 bore 50 stroke. Racks are expensive and heavy so both us and THz use the rams rod and cut teeth into it to save space, weight and complexity. All you then need is a cheap pinion gear. Only thing to note is how to keep the ram sealed if you use a double acting one.

Ok so how much money am I looking at spending on a rack?

The thing is I could get a ram at a similar size to yours Mark and make my robots chassis the right size to fit it,right?

So would any rams off this site be suitible?

http://secure.thorite.co.uk/8uwlhv226569/Pneumatic-cylinders-and-accessories/Norgren-Short-stroke-cylinders/c-1-389-629/http://secure.thorite.co.uk/8uwlhv22...ccessories/Nor gren-Short-stroke-cylinders/c-1-389-629/

Register To Comment