Register To Comment
Page 61 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: How could I Improve pt 2

...no, it isn't?

[quote=corsair_lightning]
    Quote Originally Posted by joeychevron
    Quote Originally Posted by corsair_lightning:3i6ul737
    it's still easier for me to just look at the weaknesses and try and develop a strategy.
    ...that's why I don't give you any real weaknesses to work with?
    Is that a misspelling?

Besides, I'm still able to discover weaknesses by myself. It's not like I need them. Like Leo said, while you don't need them in real life, since you can look at your opponent, you do need them here, since vapourbots aren't real, or something like that.[/quote:3i6ul737]
    That's what he says, but as Leo doesn't have a tournament running, I think I can get away with not putting those in my stats anymore.

Given my previous experiences with you and your tourneys, you shouldn't even expect me to enter them. :P

The solution? Let the tournament writers decide the stat chart rules as they have been since the beginning. :P

The issue of putting weaknesses in vapourbot stats was a topic for discussion in the old How Could I Improve thread. Some of the highlights for you to think about:

Why state them? In a sense, combat robots is a war, you don't see solders with Weakness: Shoot me in the back, I can't see you there... on them do you?

I also don't design robots to have weaknesses, I try damn hard to make them as hard as possible to beat, so why would I be handing out an easy way for them to be taken out.
    Weaknesses always exist, it's nature. But making those weaknesses hard to exploit and minimising them is what I aim for.

If you cannot work out your opponents weakness from their stats or images, that's your issue, why whing because people arn't posting weaknesses to make it easy for you... What next, authors having to write battles so everyone wins a battle at least once a month
    You find strengths and weaknesses by reading the stats, it doesn€™t take long. Why does it annoy you that I do not hand out weaknesses for me to be screwed over with in tournaments? Is it because you cannot find any weaknesses to exploit yourself? If so then that€™s just good for me, because it means I have designed a vapourbot to do what it is meant to. WIN!
    A key sentence came up in this discussion - €œI also don't design robots to have weaknesses€. Which is exactly right, if you know your robot has a weakness, would you not try to hide this? Or, even more logically, would you not try to ensure your robot does not have any weaknesses? Why have a weakness saying €œtoo slow€ when you could just make the robot faster? It just makes me cringe. If your robot has weaknesses, you hide them, prevent them, or scrap the design.
    I€™m not here to make up the numbers; I€™m here to win. So why would I intentionally make a design with weaknesses? I don€™t want a perfectly good vapourbot to be screwed out of a tournament because it got pitted for having €œlittle traction€ or flipped OOTA because it had €œhigh ground clearance€. Surely if you have any intention of winning, the last thing you would do is tell your opponent how to beat you. I can see no sense in that what so ever.

I€™m not saying my vapourbots don€™t have weaknesses. I€™m just saying it defeats the object of researching and designing if all you are going to do is say how to beat it. If you can€™t figure out how to beat something, that is not my problem.
    Telling your opponent how to beat you takes away all the credability and work you have put into a design. If I truely beleive my vapourbots had any weaknesses, I would have fixed them. So there is no purpose of me trying to nitpick for weaknesses. That is everyone elses job.
    As I said before, it€™s your decision whether to include them or not. Feel free to keep them in, it could be a benefit for me in the future!

Mr. Andrew Jackson, a parcel containing 128 metric tonnes of win has been shipped to your place of residence. Please allow 5-7 weeks for delivery.

[quote=corsair_lightning]
    Quote Originally Posted by joeychevron
    Quote Originally Posted by corsair_lightning:14q2sbqd
    it's still easier for me to just look at the weaknesses and try and develop a strategy.
    ...that's why I don't give you any real weaknesses to work with?
    Is that a misspelling?

Besides, I'm still able to discover weaknesses by myself. It's not like I need them. Like Leo said, while you don't need them in real life, since you can look at your opponent, you do need them here, since vapourbots aren't real, or something like that.[/quote:14q2sbqd]

Just to clarify, when I say these things that is me personally as a participant talking. I don't make the rules, but if I do have an opinion on a certain rule I will voice them.

Register To Comment