Register To Comment
Page 99 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast

Thread: How could I Improve pt 2

I'm thinking similarly Kody, hoping to make more an impact here in 2011, having been absent for most of this year :/

If anyone has time on their hands feel free to go over some my vapours and post any mistakes. I'd like to delete any that haven't competed/aren't currently entered into tournaments, they're just clogging up space.

Hahahaha, oh good lord Lian, Kody and Lewis, I too wish to do SOMETHING with my squad in 2010, how motivating.

Okay, first things first, Lian, Kody MIGHT be right about the weight, I can't be sure without a weight check. One way or another, I think you could do with 2 motors powering 2 wheels, rather than 4. This robot doesnt exactly spell rammer to me, but if you do intend this robot to be a rammer, I'd stick with the 4 motors, give it 4 wheels instead of 2 and lose weight somewhere else (lighter armour in places? a lesser disc?).

The disc-srimech? I know what your idea is, I know how it works in theory, and I even think that, you know, it would work, X out of 10 times, where X is a number higher than 0, yet lower than 10.
    I just can't see it being the most secure way to self right.

Okay, Kody, Lewis, your whole squads? I will have a look, but not tonight. What I CAN say Kody... Jinx, I agree there, Shadow Zone and Wedginator, I disagree, please keep them

Quote Originally Posted by majinb
    Hahahaha, oh good lord Lian, Kody and Lewis, I too wish to do SOMETHING with my squad in 2010, how motivating.

Okay, first things first, Lian, Kody MIGHT be right about the weight, I can't be sure without a weight check. One way or another, I think you could do with 2 motors powering 2 wheels, rather than 4. This robot doesnt exactly spell rammer to me, but if you do intend this robot to be a rammer, I'd stick with the 4 motors, give it 4 wheels instead of 2 and lose weight somewhere else (lighter armour in places? a lesser disc?).

The disc-srimech? I know what your idea is, I know how it works in theory, and I even think that, you know, it would work, X out of 10 times, where X is a number higher than 0, yet lower than 10.
    I just can't see it being the most secure way to self right.
    I'll sort out the batteries ASAP, also this machine was not planned to be a rammer, it was planned so i have a good
    spinner, eh, i'll remove the spinner *Plots new weapon*

I will take on board the 4 wheels. thanks Martijn

Right, ive lowered the weight and swapped the front to the original end, but i wanted a weapon

here it is, hope the weapons ok

Shield of Gondolin
    Shape: Storm 2, a box with wedges on the front and sides,
    Colour: Black, with blood spattered red all over, and a picture of a dragon on the baseplate
    Dimensions: Height 25cm Width: 65cm Length: 105cm
    Drive: 4x 24v S28-400 Magmotors, powered by 5x 3000mAh NiCad Battlepacks.
    Locomotion: 4 Storm 2 style wheels
    Armour: 6mm titanium
    Speed: 12mph
    Ground Clearance: 0mm at the back 5mm elsewhere
    Weapon:An Achilles style rear-hinged flipper,which powered by a 1000pi 2.5kg C02 tank, with 2 70mm bore 300mm stroke rams which power the flipper.
    Scrimech: The flipper of course
    Strength: Powerful weapon
    Weakness: Dunno
    BIO: A new design for 2011
    Win/loss ratio: N/A

Also, Kody should know where the name Gondolin originates from

Mind you Lian, that I never meant that your robot should become a rammer, but that instead I encouraged you to chose between making it a rammer, or making it a spinner, as in its current state it was a bit of both and that, I think, made it overweight.

If you go with spinner, ditch 2 of the motors (from the original design) because you would not need all that power, if you go with rammer, than the bot you just showed us looks solid, what does everyone else think?

Looks great to me, but I'd like just a little information on the placing of the flipper, where's it hinged/is it an arm or does the whole shell rise up etc?

Hexachordal Tea

Weight: 100kg
    Colour: blue with airbrushed wight flames down the sides
    Shape: box with wedges on all sides, weapon rotates above the body similar to hazard from Battlebots
    Dimensions L/W/H: 0.9 x 0.6 x 0.25
    Armor: entire body/chassis is 4.2mm hardox, there is also urethane rubber padding in strategic places to help prevent shock damage
    Power: 36v a123
    Drive: 4 bosch 750€™s drive 4 custom stainless steel, vulcanized wheels, which are set inside the body.
    Speed: 15mph max but tends to drive slower
    weapon: on top of the robot there is a 15kg, 40mm hardox, overhead bar spinner similar to Hazard, it is powered by a Lem130 on 36v, it spins at 1500rpm giving out a whopping 75kj of energy. towards the end of the bar there is a bend, allowing the bar to hit even the lowest of opponents, with complete 360 degrees coverage defending me from all angles.
    turning circle: zero
    ground clearance: 0.8cm under the bar, 1.2cm under the robot

any improvments etc fire away :-)

I can't really add much to what Andy's said there although one thing I might add is that a few other motors, such as Magmotors and LEMs, are for their power actually lighter than the Bosches - check this sort of still relevant table I did a while ago for figures - and if you're really stuck for weight switching to them may help lose a kilogram or two.

Really for four wheel drive you don't need four motors - the only recent heavyweight machine I can think of that's used four motors is Mr. Nasty, which though powerful had to be very compact and forego active weapons to use that (and it was never particularly successful in competition).

I'm hoping to trim my team down slightly and possibly update a few vapourbots in 2011 myself - if everyone else's doing so I might as well join in, and in a few cases it's long overdue

Andy - I dunno, I don't feel there's much I can do with Wedginator or Shadow Zone, and they seem to be lacking a bit in their current forms. :/ But I may ditch Troubloon, it's not had much success. Jinx too, and Corona as well.

I'll have a think on this and decide which ones to send to the retirement home on New Year's Eve. :/

Register To Comment