Register To Comment
Page 47 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: How could I Improve pt 2

1 in = 2.54 cm

Easy enough to base upon that :P

*gasp* SO much more extreme? And how could that possibly be?

First off, which calculator are you using...if its the Team Cosmos kJ calc, I have no idea what the problem is. Its like the simplest kJ calc out there...

If its not, then please EXPLAIN the problems. Very slowly, and very politely. I only spoke up about that conversion because I believe youre whining over nothing. Please show me that is not the case. :P

Robot Name: Return of Rex
    Shape: From above it looks like a triangle with the point replaced by a flat side. That top side is the front
    Weight: 100kg
    Length: 85cm
    Width: 85cm at rear right down to about 7cm at the front
    Height: 14cm
    Motivation: 2 x internal swivel casters at the rear, 2 x unrethane rubber tyres on HDPE wheels mounted internally towards the front of the robot
    Drive: 2 x S28-400 magmotors @ 36v
    Batteries: 4 x NiCad battlepacks @ 36v
    Armour: 7mm grade 2 titanium for the most part with 4mm hardox in key areas. The base is 12mm Lexan and Lexiguard compound with 2mm grade 5 titanium added protection in key areas
    Weaponry: Hinged at the very back of the robot is a Toro-style flipping arm drilled with large holes at the front to reduce weight. It is made of 6mm hardox and powered by a single 100m non-attached ram at 1000psi from a 2.5kg nitrogen bottle, which should suffice for about 15-20 flips per bout
    Speed: 15mph
    Turning Circle: 0
    Ground Clearance: 0 at front, 7mm at sides and rear
    Srimech: The flipping arm can turn it 540 degrees in the air, plus the sides and rear are wedged at 42* to stop it getting beached
    Colour: Super shiny, like Trident with mischievious cartoony eyes on either side of the flipper plate

Sigh...guess Ill have to explain to you, then. :P

First off, the blades diameter and thickness contribute to the weight of the blade, which helps deliver more kJ.

The DISTANCE is from the center of the tooth to the center of the disc. The farther it is away, the more added force will be delivered. Usually this can be half the diameter, but not necessarily if you use longer teeth. Say for instance you have a 80cm diameter disc. The distance would be 40cm. :P

Next...LOTS OF PEOPLE SAY WHAT THEIR DISC IS MADE OF!!! You should know better than that. Right...I should just assume your disc is made of hardened goat cheese if you dont state a material, is that alright? :P Of course not.

Third, MOI is called the moment of inertia. I myself am not quite sure what its definition is, but its calculated thus:

weight of disc x radius of disc2

There, Im done explaining. :P

Someone shoot me - I mean him... :P

All right, just WHY do you need to base it around MINIONS disc? Why is Minions so special? Just because Mega Masher is shaped (or was shaped) like Minion doesnt mean you have to have almost the exact same weapon! Hell, you could probably make it better than Minions! This is VAPOURBOTS for gods sakes: try stuff out!

And Chris, once again, this is VAPOURBOTS. Of course real roboteers out there wont right away tell you what the material is like, but on FRA, for people to draw an accurate force from your disc when theyre writing battles, they need to know quite a lot of stuff: including the material! And besides, a disc can be the same weight, but give off an entirely different kJ! A 10kg Hardox disc would be very small compared to a 10kg titanium disc, because of the metal used for it, and the titanium disc, in that regard would give out a greater force than that Hardox one. Remember, size and weight do count, but especially the material!

Now normally I wouldnt go this far into the specs, but youve been here for quite a while, Chris, and itd be best for you to lend an ear now and not tell people to not rub it in their face when all theyre doing is trying to give you advice. Seriously, this is getting ridiculous. :P

...the material is only really a device for finding out the weight if you dont know it yourself, its not absolutely vital that you put both down.

The rest of what Kody said stands though.

lol. If you had a 10kg titanium disc with holes in it so you can get a wider diameter, how would you be able to keep a 10kg Hardox disc in proportion without reducing diameter or thickness? And reducing those in that regard decreases power in an average hit between the two discs. Joey is sort of right, its not necessary to put it down...if youre a newbie or near that status. :P

Sorry, but I had to say that, Joey :P

Me and Joey would, however, like to ask what weight and diameter you want for your disc, Chris, and we can possibly work out something for you.

Register To Comment