Register To Comment
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Vapourbot Vengeance Series 1

...lemme think about this one...it could genuinely go either way for me, two decent robots...Ill go out on a limb and wildly predict Disco to immobilise Infusion for the win.

Good fight as ever Dan, hope the final turns out well too.

I think Martyn deserves to win this.

And I think he will. Disco 5 I think to pit Infusion after a long and grueling battle.

my money is on Martyn, will be a close fight

128 machines started on this epic quest for robot domination, after 16 heats and 2 semi finals (and one huge hypo ) we are down to our final 2. They have smashed and crashed, battered and bruised, slammed and whammed their way to this: the grand final of Vapourbot Vengeance. Before the final battle commences, let€™s see how both of these mechanical marauders made it this far:

INFUSION span its way through Heat D, dispatching Herbinator and 13 Black in its opening melee, before bringing Gravity back to Earth with a bump, finally sending Lightning out of the competition in a flash! In the Semi Finals, it sliced open veterans Dantomkia and dumped Tornado into the pit. In order to make it this far, Infusion signalled the end for Storm II by causing a hurricane of its own, the sixteenth seeds dumped haphazardly into the pit.

We first saw DISCO 5 in Heat J, where it did a dance of death with The Kraken and Cobra in its opening melee. In round 2 it sent Thermidor 2 back to the murky depths, eventually sending Mighty Mouse home with its tail between its legs! In the Semi Finals, it got lucky against the badly damaged Bigger Brother, and then showed Wedga€™s Revenge the old one-two-step: step one, hit the pit release button, step two, get pushed into the pit! It€™s last battle was against the impressive Apocalypse, who after a tight battle, was eventually sent OOTA courtesy of Disco 5 (and a little help from Dead Metal! )

Before we get onto the main event, I would like to thank everyone who entered for making this a truly unique tournament. 16 vapourbots joined the 112 real fighting machines in order to see who would triumph in the end - realies or vapours! As is custom in large tournaments, I have constructed my very own Vapourbot Vengeance Awards!

MOST ORIGINAL ENTRY

There can only be one winner of this, in my opinion: one vapourbot truly outshined all in the originality department. As well as being original, it proved to be a winning design - making the semi finals! Congratulations, SLAMMER VI!

BEST OVERALL DESIGN

Any designer that can truly acknowledge the strengths of others and use them to build a superb winning design should be credited, in my opinion. And that€™s what Liam did - he saw how Mute€™s barbs could be made even more effective when teamed with a rear-hinged flipper and ended up with a phenomenal design. WTG APOCALYPSE!

BEST ENGINEERED AWARD

Only a complete madman could take a spinning rim weapon and use it to increase his design€™s acceleration. Congrats INFUSION!

SPORTSMANSHIP AWARD

This award goes to someone who basically nagged me and moaned at me on MSN to get this tournament back on track, and to be honest I am glad he did. The last 3 battles I have done (yes, I am writing this after the Grand Final! ) have probably been the ones I have enjoyed writing the most. If it wasn€™t for this bloke, then the tournament would have been left to rot. Huge thanks to JOEY MCCONNELL!

Right, enough chit-chat€¦ let€™s get on with the Grand Final!!

THE GRAND FINAL
    Disco 5 VS Infusion

House Robots: Cassius Chrome and Mr Psyduck€¦ I mean Psycho.

3€¦2€¦1€¦ACTIVATE!!

And they are off! The disc of Disco 5 and the spinning rim of Infusion already whirring menacingly as these two mechanical gladiators combat for one last time to discover who is the greatest of them all! Infusion charges towards the front wedge of Disco 5, aiming to get underneath it with its own thick, Hardox wedge. Disco 5 turns slowly, bringing the spinning blade and rear skirt into play, forcing Infusion up and into the path of the disc. The front wedge bears the impact, as a huge CLANK fills the air, the disc of Disco 5 stopped. Martyn reverses his machine - hoping to repeat his winning formula from his last battle against Apocalypse, but Aaron second-guesses this and does his own bit of reversing: the spinning rim of Infusion flicking debris off the arena floor and smacking them into the side walls. Disco 5 gets its disc back up to full speed, but not before Infusion slams into the Titanium side of Disco 5 with the spinning rim - sparks engulfing Infusion as Disco 5 is spun away on impact. Martyn regains his composure and drives his machine towards Infusion, this time breeching the front Hardox wedge and getting the Aussie machine onto its own wedged front. Disco 5 turns towards Mr Psycho€™s CPZ, the evil glare of the House Robot focussing on the next robot to be its prey - Infusion! Aaron tried helplessly to get his machine off the front wedge of Disco 5, but the 12.5mph top speed of Disco 5 means that both robots are on the edge of the CPZ in no time. Mr Psycho lunges for Infusion, but misses, a flip from Disco 5 pushing a now overturned Infusion further into the dreaded CPZ. Mr Psycho trundles backwards into his CPZ, hoping to get his claws on Infusion, but Aaron has other plans, as he too reverses backwards€¦ into Psycho! The rubber tracks of the enormous House Robot are shredded almost instantly, the tremendous power in Infusion€™s spinning rim making mincemeat out of them! With Psycho out of the picture, Infusion goes back on the attack against Disco 5, the wedge now useless, but the spinning rim isn€™t! Another slam into the side of Disco 5 completely rips off one of the skirts, the skirt send flailing towards the other side of the arena, eventually coming to a stop near the flame pit. Martyn is furious, as he swiftly turns Disco 5 towards Infusion, getting it up on the front wedge once again. Disco 5 steers itself towards the arena side wall, and fires the front-hinged flipper once again. The spinning rim of Infusion chews the arena floor as it gets propped against the arena wall. The spinning rim gets slower and slower until it comes to a complete stop! Infusion is now helpless: not one of its wheels can gain any purchase in order for it to move - the spinning rim remaining static and unable to aid Infusion in getting off the arena wall! Refbot comes along and examines the situation, before starting the crucial countdown! 10 goes to 9, as Aaron frantically wiggles the controls, but to no avail. 8,7 and 6 come and go, as a wry smile begins to appear on Martyn Forsyth€™s face. 5, 4, 3: Cassius Chrome waits patiently next to Refbot, waiting for the end of the road for Infusion. 2 - the audience whoop and cheer, as the timer ticks to 1, a new champion as been crowned! Disco 5! For Infusion, the true pain is only now beginning, as the flying fists of fury from Cassius Chrome whack and thwack the machine from Down Under. Disco 5 spins in delight!

Infusion needs an oil transfusion after that one!

DISCO 5 IS THE VAPOURBOT VENGEANCE GRAND CHAMPION!!

Once again, I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who entered, and I am sorry it ended up as a hypo. But I hope you agree, this has been a truly awesome tournament.

A most fantastic final to end a fairly good tourney Dan, even if it did end up being hypoed before my heat Well done to Martyn for winning, Aaron for...being there I guess :P and to everyone else who entered for also being there.

It might be wishful thinking but I hope there will be a VV2 someday, this has been very wooty

Register To Comment