Register To Comment
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: The Chevron Championship

The Chevron Championship
    Eliminator 2

Joey: Andy, you feeling confident for this fight:
    Andy: Uh...a bit confident, but I wouldnt bet on either of us winning...Darkestars tracks are very exposed though, think I can get a few hits in with the bar on those and try and break them, or at least seriously mess up the side armour.
    Joey: The weapon doesnt worry you?
    Andy: Not really, think I can avoid it and mines much bigger so if it comes down to weapon to weapon...I think Ill be winning there *grins*
    Joey: Good luck, hope that proves true for you.
    Andy: Thanks.

*Andy pushes SOR Hexs trolley up into the arena*

Joey: You dont look nervous, Alex.
    Alex: Looks are very decieving, Im trying not to go to pieces at the moment.
    Joey: Any reason? Is the robot working okay?
    Alex: Yeah, robots working okay, and it should stand a good chance, just its the semi finals and a lots riding on this.
    Joey: Not really, just third or first/second place.
    Alex: Well...yeah. I know I should be feeling confident, just last second nerves getting to me a bit. I think I should have a chance though, the tracks on this thing *taps tracks with remote* are very strong, so Ill just go in and push them in the pit or bash them out of the arena.
    Joey: Well, best of luck.
    Alex: Thanks.

*Alex wheels Darkestar onto the stage*

SON OF RIPPER HEX
    Heat C
    Andrew Jackson

vs.

DARKESTAR
    Heat A
    Alex Holt

ROBOTEERS, STAND BY

Booth 1, left hand side: Andrew Jackson
    Booth 2, right hand side: Alex Holt

ACTIVATE

Son Of Ripper immediately gets off to the quicker start, almost lifting the front wedge up off the floor of the arena as it comes straight in towards Darkestar, who turns slightly as it comes more slowly away from the arena wall, as SOR impacts it about two thirds of the way across the arena, hitting the front track guard and turning around to push against the side of Darkestar, avoiding the front weapon on Alex Holts machine as it begins to rotate towards maximum speed. Andy applies the power to the two Lynch motors and the wheels spin, slowly edging Darkestar forwards as the two robots bounce slightly, the rubber on Darkestars tracks resisting the sideways force as the tracks move themselves and cause both machines to turn slightly towards the pit, before SOR backs off slightly and comes back in, hitting the front end of the turning Darkestar but avoiding the weapon frame as the wedge goes straight in beneath the right hand track guard and...
    FLIP! Darkestars front end is flicked up in the air and crashes back down behind its rear, the whole machine now facing in reverse as Alex tries to steer away, but SOR is back in already as the flipper retracts, scraping past the rear of the weapons module as the wedge gets under the tracks again and pushes Darkestar with increasing speed towards the top of the arena, Alex craning up in his booth to see where exactly his machine is going as both robots move towards the edge of the patrol zone...
    FLIP! Andy activates SOR Hexs flipper again, this time throwing Darkestar entirely up in the air to crash down almost on top of Matilda, who turns almost as if to see what is going on, before the house robot raises her tusks and jolts forward, hitting Darkestar as it attempts to turn away from the patrol zone and pinning the tracked machine against the wall, the spinning blade coming to a halt against the barrier as sparks fly from the steel on steel contact. Son Of Ripper, having retreated out of the patrol zone after the flip to get its own blade spinning now comes in reverse to multiply Darkestars misery, turning its weapon into the front right corner of its opponent...
    CRASH! Darkestar is knocked parallel to the arena wall, a few white spots in the side armour from where MAtildas tusks dug in, but more worryingly a large chunk has been shattered from the extension of the track guards, the two remaining horns now bent in front of the tracks and digging in to the rubber coating, visibly slowing down Darkestars attempts to escape from the patrol zone! Alex looks concerned, his machine creeping forward towards the edge as SOR turns to come in again, Andy applying power to one wheel as the bar comes in again on the side of Darkestar, the machines both jolted by the impact but barely a glancing blow dealt from the weapon due to the angle, but enough to show more visible surface damage to the side track guard, which is looking somewhat weathered now, but the impact from the weapon seems to have somehow given new life to Darkestar, as the right track begins working at full speed again and Darkestar shoots forward out of the patrol zone, turning neatly to just avoid the pit, as its opponent comes in with a run to try and knock Darkestar off course and drop one of its tracks into the pit...just missing though, the flipper firing a second too late as Darkestar neatly skirts the side of the pit and turns to move down the arena with its blade now beginning to spin back up again, altogether now looking virtually unscathed aside from the side armour.
    SOR reverses briefly back into the patrol zone, just missing Dead MEtals pincers as it turns a few degrees and heads straight out again, accelerating towards the centre of the arena to meet Darkestar, which approaches its foe with the blade spinning at full speed, watching SOR turn around to show its own spinner operating at capacity as well.
    The two machines pause for a moment, almost showing respect for the power of each others weapons as the drivers consider what to do next, before SOR breaks the Mexican standoff to charge in at full reverse, Darkestar responding in kind by shooting forwards, the two weapons a blur as they approach closer and closer to one another...
    CRASH! The impact produces an almighty noise as sparks fly, a few white ones from the titanium skirts on SOR, and the outcome appears to be that SOR has ridden up somewhat on Darkestars front, the bar completely stopped...but look at Darkestars weapon! The mounting appears to have been twisted from the close up pictures and the belt for the weapon is hanging limply from one of the tensioning wheels...but SORs own drive wheels are no longer in contact with the ground, and Alex senses this as he applies full power on one track to ride SOR sideways up the front prongs, before moving with both to push its opponent backwards up the arena, and the battle has suddenly been turned on its head as Andy holds his transmitter in the air, the tip of the aerial waving as he shouts something incoherent, with nought but wheelspin from his robot as Darkestar turns it towards the left of the arena - and begins to push in the direction of the pit that Andy almost finished the fight with earlier!
    A slightly puzzled expression on Alex Holts face rapidly turns to a wide grin as he sees what is about to happen, SOR firing the flipper but to no avail as Darkestars push continues towards the edge, braking the tracks at the edge as the front skirts of SOR lose contact with the arena floor, the machine sliding down the edge and falling rear end over front as the pyrotechnics ignite and engulf the flipped Son Of Ripper, Andy staring almost in disbelief at his beaten machine as across the podium Alex cannot contain his joy, jumping in the air with one arm raised as Darkestar stands, battered but triumphant, guarding the edge of the pit, the smoke and lighting lending it an ethereal glow against the backdrop of the arena.

CEASE

Son Of Ripper Hex wont get the climactic final encounter with its daddy. :P
    DARKESTAR IS THROUGH TO MEET RIPPER IN THE GRAND FINAL!

*ominous music and booths rising, roboteers come out to talk*

Joey: Andy...you had Darkestar right up against that wall, you almost got it in the pit...then it all went wrong.
    Andy: *sighs* Yeah, just had the worst luck in the world, half a second earlier and I could have got them in the pit...had trouble with the armour as well, it seems to damage easily but not make much of a difference.
    Joey: I dunno, you nearly stopped the tracks at one point.
    Andy: The armour bent over them, but I think the rubber just wore away and let it move freely again or something.
    Joey: And then that collision...
    Andy: ...yeah. In retrospect I probably shouldnt have gone in straight on with the bar, but thats how things go. twas a good fight.
    Joey: It was indeed. You going to prepare for the third place playoffs?
    Andy: Yeah, think Ive got a good chance in those.
    Joey: Well, best of luck there. Ladies and gentlemen, Son Of Ripper!

*cheering*

Joey: ...wow.
    Alex: Yeah, after the first collision I didnt think I had a chance there, but...well, you saw what happened then, just turned the fight around.
    Joey: Yep, that collision...you just seemed to be in control after that, didnt let Andy get a look back in.
    Alex: I was surprised actually, I didnt expect it to get hung up on the scoop, but the weapons colliding probably put a bit of extra force into things. From there I just wanted to get rid of it as quick as possible, and...well, it worked.
    Joey: Youve got Ripper next though, does that worry you?
    Alex: Id be lying if I said it didnt *laughs* Ive got a few repairs to do, the disc looks a bit bent from that last impact.
    Joey: Do you think you can manage it though?
    Alex: Ive got a spare one with me, so just need to hammer out the frame a bit.
    Joey: Sounds good...lets hear it for the winners, Darkestar!

*cheering*

And so, we finally come within reach of the end of this tournament. Its been a long, hard struggle to work out what exactly to say here, but we now know who will take the first and second placings. The question is, in which order?
    We shall find out soon enough...

THIRD PLACE PLAYOFF
    Door Stops vs. Son Of Ripper Hex

GRAND FINAL
    Ripper vs. Darkestar

For the final time in this tournament, could I have tactics, comments and predictions please?

(Message edited by joeychevron on October 24, 200

I think Darkestar will win

Oh and I think SOR will take the bronze, although Doorstops could give him a run for his money

Darkestar. Because it will. We cant have another realie win a Joey tournament now can we? :P

spinners wont do a lot of damage to ripper. massive hardox scoop will be relentless and flip Darkestar until it breaks or ootas. as its the final i think a go at the house robots is in order after seeing off Darkestar. another realie to win in the fanfic you say but ripper is a very good robot and will be hard to beat saying all that envy beat it today

...yeah, there have been no posts at all in fanfic for over two days. I object to this situation, so I thought Id better...uh...rectify it? Or something?

The Chevron Championship
    Third Place Playoff

DOOR STOPS
    Heat D
    Frank Goacher

vs.

SON OF RIPPER HEX
    Heat C
    Andrew Jackson

*cut straight to arena*

ROBOTEERS, STAND BY

Booth 1, left hand side: Frank Goacher and his clone
    Booth 2, right hand side: Andrew Jackson

ACTIVATE

As they has done in all their other battles so far, Franks clusterbots raise their Hardox noses in the air before the drive power allows them to break away from each other, one half heading straight across the arena floor to face its foe, SoR Hex, which after a pause drives purposefully out of its corner and powers towards the approaching Door Stop, hoping to get an early advantage in this fight for third place, and wedge blade meets wedge blade...with no immediately obvious victor, both machines pushing and the Door Stop being forced ever so slightly backwards as it begins to bounce slightly from the eighteen horsepower going down through the wheels as Frank looks slightly worried, with the pit looming behind and the gap between the rear of his machine and its cold embrace ever narrowing...but the other Door Stop chooses the right moment to come in around the back ofSoR Hex, the wedge gliding beneath the centimetre of gound clearance and lifting the left hand drive wheel off the ground in the process, while the first clusterbot backs up brieftly and then swivels away.
    SoRs other wheel still has contact with the ground, and it begins to try and rotate itself and the Door Stop around and manages to get traction on the titanium and Hardox front of its opponent, jerking it forwards and up over the top of the Door Stop, landing with a slight bounce and almost immediately turning around to get another attack in, the Door Stop turning side on but to little avail as SoR gets the flipper in and underneath the side of Frank Goachers clusterbot, lifting it off the ground, and now Andy drives forward with some force towards the patrol zone at the bottom of the arena, passing its victims twin which rushes in a second too late to deflect the onslaught towards a wall or the flame pit, and...
    FLIP! The Door Stop that was on the wedge of SoR Hex now...isnt, as it gets flicked up about two metres in the air and comes down just next to Dead Metal inside the edge of the patrol zone, attracting the house robots attention, and before Frank can turn to escape the danger area, the house robot comes in and has a firm grip on the titanium rear armour of the Door Stop, the sawblade flashing as the scorpion like arm of DM comes down and sends a shower of brilliant white titanium sparks forward, like a limelight illuminating the lower half of the arena as the other Door Stop and SoR Hex face up to each other on the patrol zone edge. Frank holds his controls in the air as the active half of the cluster charges towards its foe, which swivels round to meet it...there is a loud collision as wedge meets wedge, and this time it looks as if SoR Hex has gained the advantage, the 3mm ti plate on the flipper scraping beneath the Hardox wedge of the Door Stop, and pushing it back with the Lynch motor drive...
    FLIP! The second half of the cluster suffers a similar fate to its sibling, flicked into the air end over end before bouncing down, thankfully on the correct side of the arena barrier...but Frank look concerned as it comes down on its side, and momentum causes it to tip slowly down, theoretically onto its wheels, but the inner fence is in the way of that, the net result of which is one half of the cluster spinning its wheels in thin air, propped against the barrier despite the best efforts of both Franks in the control booth, and Andy realises he could finish this here and now, the flipper on SoR Hex retracting as he backs his machine off slightly for a final charge and flip...but the other Door Stop, now released from the grip of Dead Metal with minimal damage aside from a small slit in the top panel, doesnt waste any time in charging in underneath the exposed rear of SoR again, avoiding the bar which it has to be said is yet to spin up once this fight, and removing SoRs traction on the arena floor...but also pushing Andys robot in towards its twin, and the flipper is still active, and fires just as the train of robots hits the barrier...
    ...but just catches on the edge of the clusterbots armour, and allows its left tyre to gain a grip on the steel side of the arena and lower itself down to the arena floor, crashing back down into the field of battle and immediately driving away, Frank wiping his brow with one hand as he pulls on the joystick with the other. The second Door Stop reverses from beneath SoR, the slowly beginning to spin disc clipping it slightly as it does so but creating little more than a sharp thud from the impact of steel on Hardox, as the clusterbot speeds up towards the top of the arena attracting the pursuit of Son Of Ripper Hex once more. The previous deadlock now broken, Andy breaks off his pursuit of one Door Stop in order to face the other as it sees the chance to come in, turning into the invertible wedge as it collides...and rides up on the skirts, rising over the wheels of SoR Hex as it raises its flipper just a fraction too early to get any purchase on the clusterbot, merely blocking its momentum and forcing it back down the skirted sides and away...and the countdown has begun now to the end of the fight it would seem, all three machines in the arena starting to get a little sluggish and unresponsive in their movements, as the second Door Stop drives forwards to the broadside on SoR, the ground scraping wedge meeting the ground scraping skirts as the two machines push against each other, only a slight hint of wheelspin coming from the drained Door Stop as it tries for one last push...and just as its twin comes in from the side, some force of friction gives and the corner of the front wedge of Franks machine just jams beneath the titanium flap, allowing the Door Stop to get underneath SoR Hex once more as time ticks down to the end!

CEASE

Frank exhales sharply up in the control booth as he releases his controls, allowing them to hang limply around his neck while in the other Lexan booth across the arena, Andy looks almost exhausted as he retracts his transmitter aerial. We go to the judges for their verdict...

*roboteers rise up in their cherry pickers to talk to Joey*

Joey: Well, Franks...what do you think of that?
    Frank: It was hard. I knew there was the risk of being stacked there so I was worried when that happened, but I also think we got some good attacks in there, we came on strong at the end and were pushing him around a bit...
    Joey: ...but the decision?
    Frank: I wouldnt like to be in their shoes. Admittedly, theyre probably not my size so itd be uncomfortable, but...yeah, its a tough decision to make. Id like to think we just edged it though.
    Joey: Well wait and see about that...dramatic effects for the win. Andy, your opinion?
    Andy: I think having the flipper probably helped, was able to flick them about a few times but missed a couple of opportunities as well, so...like Frank says, it was close.
    Joey: Yep, there was a lot of wedging and tactical driving going on it seemed.
    Andy: They spent an inordinate amount of time underneath me, but I got a few good wedges in there as well. *laughs* I think the decision will be close, but my gut feeling says we might have won. Could go either way though.
    Joey: Well...I can tell you...

...I now have the decision, and based on style, control, aggression and damage, the bronze medallist in the Chevron Championship, and therefore next years third seed, is...by a margin of two points...

...SON OF RIPPER HEX!

(JUDGES DECISION:

DAMAGE: Neither robot was really able to actually inflict much damage on the other, although one of the Door Stops did take some damage from the house robots: Door Stops 2 (x4 = , SoR Hex 3 (x4 = 12)
    AGGRESSION: The Door Stops probably got in more attacks and certainly seemed to be more aggressive at times, and were also frequently unafraid to go in and defuse SoRs attacks: Door Stops 3 (x3 = 9), SoR Hex 2 (x3 = 6)
    CONTROL: SoR Hex was probably in control for more of the fight, both robots had their periods with effective attacks and pushing but SoR was able to stack one and have the other trapped in the CPZ at the same time: Door Stops 2 (x2 = 4), SoR Hex 3 (x2 = 6)
    STYLE: The Door Stops had their wheelies and their pincer attacks against SoRs...flips? Quite close, but Door Stops take it: Door Stops 3, SoR Hex 2

Door Stops: 24
    Son of Ripper Hex: 26)

*Frank drops his shoulders in disappointment but gamely applauds Andy, smiling all the same as Andy raises his transmitter in the air in victory. The crowd cheers*

Joey: Ive got to talk to you briefly...Frank, what a shame, it was so close...
    Frank: ...yeah, it was very close, and like I said it was hard, but...fair play to Andy, if the judges say he deserved it then I should think he did deserve it.
    Joey: Have you enjoyed competing in this tourney then?
    Frank: Definitely. I mean, Ive come here with a robot that a few people wrote off, and I came fourth, I got to the grand final, and its been great fun being here, so...yeah, Ill probably be back next time. Might even try and go one or three better *laughs*
    Joey: Ill look forward to seeing you here again. Ladies, gents, give it up for Frank Goacher, fourth place with the Door Stops!

*cheering as Frank smiles and raises hand*

Joey: Well, well, well...congrats, its a podium finish at least isnt it, better than a kick in the teeth?
    Andy: Yup, its been a long journey and Im not going home empty handed, so Im very pleased with that. Great battle from Frank and great result in my opinion.
    Joey: It went your way in the end, yeah. You going to be back next year?
    Andy: Of course - I mean, I know its probably all downhill from here *laughs* but Ive enjoyed myself thoroughly taking part in this, and its been very good.
    Joey: Thats great news to hear...Third place winner ladies and gentlemen, lets hear it for Andy Jackson and Son of Ripper Hex!
    Andy: Come on!

*crowd cheering*

-------------------

Well, we know the third place winner...and I have the tactics for the final, I think...so yeah, saying anything here is sort of superfluous really. I have enjoyed writing this very much and am looking forward to doing the final in an odd way :P and as you may have guessed there will be a CC2 sometime next year.

COMING UP, ON CHRISTMAS DAY 2008
    THE GRAND FINAL
    RIPPER vs. DARKESTAR

And you wonder why I voted you for best new writer. w00ty battle Joey!

...although I dont think we can wait that long for the next battle.

I think you can...just have some patience, it takes a long time for the best battles to mature. Like in that Grolsch ad.

the ripper final is on the roaming robots website so you will see how ripper absorbes punishment. good robot come a long way and am confident of a ripper win. its on a roll

Friends...Romans...Countrymen...Yes, the time has finally come. Although I wont be online much tomorrow due to Christmas celebrations, I have written this wooty final some time in advance and present it here, in all its glory, as my Christmas present to all on the FRA. Enjoy.

THE CHEVRON CHAMPIONSHIP, FINAL BATTLE
    RIPPER vs. DARKESTAR

*The scene: backstage with the roboteers about to go on. The time: Now*

Joey: Well, its just before the final, and to state what would be extremely obvious if you were actually watching this on TV but isnt for those reading this text based post, Im here with both machines and the teams, just before they enter the arena and retire to the cherry pickers for the grand final.
    Shane, Jonno, how do you feel about the battle?
    Shane: Its gonna be tough, but we should do quite well, should get Darkestar out of the arena quickly.
    Joey: Really, youre that confident?
    Shane: Of course!
    Jonno: Yeah! In theory at least. *laughs* Its...tensions always high before a final, need to hope my nerves hold out, Darkestars a good machine but we should be alright if we flip it enough.
    Shane: Yeah, try and break something or if the opportunity arises, flip em out of the ring.
    Joey: That sounds like as good a plan as any to me...best of luck guys, hope its a good fight.
    Jonno: Thanks very much.

Joey: Team Doomfo-well, Alex...have you been able to repair Darkestar from the semi final?
    Alex: Yeah...the blade itself was actually okay, the pulley was a bit mangled though, but new pulley, new belt, bash the supports back into shape, almost good as new.
    Joey: Thats good...so, Ripper. Any tactics?
    Alex: Uh...just hit it really. Hit it with the blade, push it around, see what happens.
    Joey: Nothing too detailed then?
    Alex: There might be, there might be....Im not saying it in front of the opposition though *laughs* but in all seriousness, it should be a good fight, two great robots and itll be good to watch.
    Joey: Good to watch...how about to drive in?
    Alex: Ah...absolutely terrifying to be honest, heh. Ill try my best though.
    Joey: Hope those nerves hold out then, good luck to you Alex.
    Alex: Thanks.

*both teams shake hands before John and Shane lead the way into the arena, pushing the robots on trolleys*

FROM NOTTINGHAM, RIPPER!

The first machine into the arena, as the team wave to the assembled crowd, they coasted through the Gauntlet and Snooker before Tempest, Baldur Gamma, and earlier in the grand final Macduff The Fourth and the Door Stops tasted the camera tracks after flying from the edge of their front scoop, the full pressure flipping Ripper proving too much for all its opponents so far.

FROM GEDDINGTON, DARKESTAR!

And its opponent, Darkestar, Alex nodding in acknowledgement and raising a hand to the crowd, his machine ended the Gauntlet in the pit but won the Sumo against Shunt easily, before vanquishing Nitro-Gene in a judges decision despite being on fire...pitting Envy, assisting the Door Stops in pitting Exertion and after a long fight, sending SoR Hex the same way from its front spiked scoop and flywheel.

The roboteers leave the arena and climb into the cherry pickers, which rise up ominously before they and the music stop, and the aura in the arena doms to leave the two finalists, silhouetted against the bright spotlights skining down on them, almost alone in the deathly silent arena, waiting, tension high, for the announcement...

ROBOTEERS, STAND BY

Booth 1, left hand side: Shane Swan, John Findlay
    Booth 2, right hand side: Alex Holt

ACTIVATE

The lighting abruptly changes in the arena as the spotlights leave the two finalists to herald a curtain of blue light bathing the arena, robots and hazards in its glow. It would be almost ethereal if you didnt know the true purpose of this occasion was to unleash what remains of the fury inside these two machines, to determine one winner after nine months and thirty six machines have been reduced to just two.
    And its Ripper with the impetus to move first, the right wheel first and then both as it accelerates up past the pit, while across the warzone its foe, Darkestar, moves slightly slower out of the starting square, still relatively fast though, with the triangular blade on the front beginning to rotate as the belt drive takes it up to top speed. Darkestar reaches the centre of the arena and skids around, the front weapon a blur as it almost warns Ripper away with the disc, but Ripper keeps on going, moving in an arc across and around the side of Darkestar, which turns, Alex trying to keep the weapon facing his opponent, as the two machines continue in their paths with Ripper circling Darkestar turning...this is all very nice for robot ballet, but its time for them to kill each other, and its Ripper who finally breaks the deadlock and makes a sharp turn to home in with the scoop on the corner of Darkestar! Alexs reaction isnt quick enough, as the left track rides up on the scoop and Ripper applies the throttle, pushing Darkestar in towards the flame pit...
    FLIP! Darkestar is flung across and into the arena side barrier, crashing down almost on the flame pit as the pyrotechnics flare up, as Alex drives across the burning grid with Ripper following, the flipper coming down to sit in its normal position. Darkestar turns around to face Ripper, the blade getting up to speed again after slowing down during its airtime, and comes in on the approaching opponent, aiming to clatter Ripper with the weapon and try to do damage...up in the control box, Shane says something to Jonno, and Ripper pauses before powering on one side to get corner on to Darkestar, the scoop not getting underneath the main weapons module of Darkestar but managing to turn the approach away slightly and avoid being hit, but Darkestar is now on the drive, pushing Ripper acorss the arena. Ripper breaks Darkestars hold on it and wrenches its front scoop out of the gap between Darkestars weapon frame and track, and comes back in on Darkestars broadside, not getting in underneath, but the button is pressed by Shane nonetheless!
    FLIP! The flipper catches on the side bars and flicks Darkestar up in the air, tumbling over onto its back with the weapon module bouncing slightly as it hits the floor again, as Alex slams down on the sticks to reverse Darkestar out of trouble...almost into the patrol zone, but as MAtilda charges with tusks lowered Darkestar comes out of the edge, driving up towards a flipper lowering Ripper, which backs off slightly before coming in again, hoping for a third flip. Now more confident, the two machines charge headlong at each other, not having yet found out whether the prongs on Darkestar or the scoop of Ripper is the lower, and the two machines meet...and its the former, Rippers scoop riding up on the prongs and into the path of the triangular flywheel!
    CRASH! The flywheel catches on the scoop and sends the flipper flying up without the aid of the ram, knocking Ripper backwards as it does so, sparks from steel on steel littering the arena floor as Ripper turns to get away for another offensive...the faster accelerating Darkestar gets in again though, the flywheel still rotating as it catches on the side!
    CRASH! Fewer sparks are raised than before, but the kinetic energy is still there as the top armour is caught by the weapon point and bent upwards slightly fron the force, the paint on the side badly scratched as Ripper is flicked into the air, teetering for a moment before slowly crashing down onto its back. Shane looks unconcerned up in the drivers box though, pressing the button and Ripper jumps up in the air as the flipper extends, landing it back on its wheels as Jonno controls his machine away amidst a trail of expelled CO2, driving down towards the flame pit to avoid the charge of Darkestar, which turns, the blade beginning to spin up once more. Alex applies the throttle once more, driving his machine up towards Ripper, which shifts forwards a bit before coming out to do likewise, and the two machines accelerate towards each other...a crash would be imminent but Ripper suddenly brakes and turns, getting the scoop in at the side of Darkestars front prongs again and piling on the amps, Darkestar powering back, as the two machines push with the balde of Darkestar mere inches from the Hardox body of Ripper, but no contact between them, as its 36v Bosch to 36v Bosch, tracks to go kart wheels, pushing and pushing...and the tracks are winning, scraping the paint from the arena floor as the side tracks edge Ripper backwards, up towards the top of the arena...slowly at first, but then faster, almost as if Ripper had stopped resisting the onslaught of its opponent...
    FLIP! And thats why! The Hardox flipper yawns open again as it flicks Darkestar over again, catching on the tracks and sending Alexs machine back into its correct orientation, as Ripper comes back in on the broadside on Darkestar, the flipper lowering and jamming on the polycarbonate side armour of its opponent, and attempts a push once more...the tracked machine turns though, the whirring disc coming ever closer to Rippers armour, and Ripper backs away, before Jonno goes in again, aiming for the tracks to toss Darkestar up and over again...Darkestar seems to have anticipated this though, turning just before impact, and the two machines meet diagonally...
    CRASH! The flipper of Ripper shoots up again as the button is pressed, but a second too early and the exposed front of the machine is caught by the flywheel of Darkestar, at full speed flicking Ripper, in something of a role reversal, up and over onto its back! Darkestar comes in to further its dominance here, driving into the back of the inverted Ripper and beginning the push, as the two machines move across to the left hand side of the arena. Rippers flipper fires just as it gets wedged in against the arena wall, popping the yellow and green machine to rise in the air, nose up, like some sort of mechanical dolphin as Darkestars spikes and the inactive weapon reverse away from the scene, and Ripper teeters in its vertical pose for a second before the flipper begins to retract and Ripper bounces down...on its back again...
    Shane leans up, looking a bit worried, as Jonno whispers something to him and Rippers flipper fires again...the robot rises off the arena floor as before, but bouncing back down, the vast front weapon seems to lack the pressure to self right Ripper, Darkestar and Alex waiting with baited breath as Ripper attempts again to self right, but the powers not there, combined with the orientation of the robot the bungees are pulling the robot back down as opposed to pulling the flipper up. Alex almost hesitantly spins the weapon up once more, rotating his machine as he wonders if he should allow himself a victory dance, but the spin of Darkestar quickens as the arena lights flash, a potlight flickering on Ripper as the house robots attention is drawn by the stricken Ripper, still flicking itself up in the air but with decreasing power each time, as Dead Metal is first on the scene, Jonno shaking his head up in the control booth as the pincers close around the side of his machine, the saw coming down and creating a stream of sparks from the Hardox armour, until the ram fires once again to jolt the house robot away, but Sir Killalot looms above the beached machine now...towering over Ripper as it brings the right arm down.
    Killalot shifts a bit, bringing the claw in on the flipper arm, and closes...slicing with little effort into through the three and a quarter millimetre wearplate steel on the arm, before hoisting 100kgs of Ripper into the air by the arm, turning with his trophy towards the pit, Ripper dangling from the end of the house robots mighty claw for all to see...but the flipper ram fires again, not connecting with the arm but giving the robot enough of a shock to cause it to fall off the arm, bouncing down to the ground on its wheels! And it may be beaten, but Ripper seems to have some unfinished business left...Jonno immediately turns towards Shunt, which comes in to try and regain control of the situation, and jams the scoop in underneath the approaching house robot, which rides up on the front slope of Ripper, the axe jabbing at thin air...Shane shouts something across the platform to Alex, who seems to get it, turning and driving Darkestar, somewhat tired, up towards the scene, beating Matilda to it, getting the front prongs in on the beached Shunt, and pushing, with Ripper straining in the other direction...the flipper fires, jolting the house robot, and it tumbles off the wedge and onto its side, rolling over onto its top as the fibreglass armour begins to detach from the body! Killalot seems irritated by all of this, driving in on the scene and scratching the top armour of Ripper with the lance, but Ripper backs up, and Darkestar is at hand to jam the front spikes in underneath the tracks of the house robot, hindering its mobility, and Ripper dodges Matilda to come in with the scoop...Killalot tries to push back against the two machines, but although its invincible to one...it seems that two, working together, might just be too much for the house robot, and the tracks slip and slide on the arena floor as Killalot is edged backwards, backwards, slowly, surely...the pit is looming, and one track of the house machine drops in, as a burst of flame illuminates the arena from the Sargeant behind Ripper, before the final push sends the 300 kilo house machine toppling over the edge, hitting the tyres as a great cheer emerges from both roboteers and crowd!
    Jonno raises an arm in the air in triumph over the house robot, Alex holding his transmitter up across the wall as a broad grin forms on his face, but Dead Metal is in position behind Ripper, clamping onto the rear of the machine once more, and Shane wipes his brow as the real roboteers realise their fun may be over. The flipper of Ripper lifts up in the air once more, but the tired batteries cannot provide enough power to hold off the thrust of the house robot, as Ripper is gently forced over the edge, fitting almost perfectly in the gap created between Killalots exposed base and the edge of the arena, and the grip is finally released to leave Ripper enveloped by the smokescreen that billows from the pit, defeated, battered, and yet up in the control pod the team are smiling, Shane clapping his opponent as Jonno sets his controls down, Alex meanwhile leaning back and taking a moment to absorb some of what has happened...his machine, Darkestar, standing next to the flipped Shunt battered, tired and the weapon barely spinning, but victorious nonetheless - the first winner of the Chevron Championship!

CEASE

Joey: What a battle that was - bashing and flipping from both robots, but Ripper was stuck and couldnt self right, ended up in the pit but that didnt stop them both attacking the house robots once the main result was decided! *gesturing* Come up for a few words guys.

*both cherry pickers rise to the top, and the roboteers join Joey on the platform via some stairs. Much handshaking occurs between everyone*

Joey: Well...Shane, Jonno...it was going to be easy, you were going to flip them until they broke...
    Jonno: Yeah, that was the plan, just...it even worked the first few minutes of the fight!
    Joey: It did, but then, over there, something went wrong?
    Shane: It did...the first time we tried to self right, the wall was jamming the flipper, so most of the power went on breaking it free, and then I just dont think we had the pressure left to properly get back over.
    Joey: Shame really, was even until then.
    Jonno: Yep. Ah well.
    Joey: After you were immobilised though, and the house robots came in, you had a little bit of a go at them, it seems...
    Shane: Just a bit, yep *laughs*
    Jonno: Indeed, we got picked up in the air, and I thought we were going to go on the flame pit, so I said that to Shane, operated the flipper and we came down, and I couldnt really ignore the house robots...could I?
    Shane: Got Alex in on the act as well, they were coming for us so we followed suit, and we made a complete mess of your house robots, flipped all over the place!
    Joey: It doesnt matter, theyre not my house robots! *laughs* Will you be back next time to defend second place?
    Jonno: Oh yeah, well be back and were gonna win!
    Joey: Thanks, Ill look forward to it, youve been great competitors...give it up guys, runners up, RIPPER!
    Shane: Thank you very much.

*much cheering from the crowd*

Joey: Well, well, well...
    Alex: Three holes in the ground.
    Joey: Oi you! *laughs* Youve won the Chevron Championship, well done!

*cheering*

Alex: Indeed I have, it was tough but I came through.
    Joey: Yeah, it looked it, Ripper seemed on top at the start but you managed to overcome it eventually...some good driving there.
    Alex: Bit of good driving, bit more of luck really...I was hoping I could get them to self right onto the barrier, but that didnt work, turned out not to be necessary. Was a good fight though, bit tiring but I enjoyed it.
    Joey: It was...and you joined in the war on the house robots later on as well, bit of belligerance there?
    Alex: Belligerant? Moi? *laughs* No, I thought Ripper might get seriously battered if they attacked too much, and Shane shouted across for some help so it was the least I could do, got to take the big bad out as well.
    Joey: That was actually really satisfying to watch. Its been brilliant having you here, youre a worthy winner...have you enjoyed your time here with Darkestar and the other machines?
    Alex: Definitely. You can bet Ill be defending the title next year.
    Joey: Thats good to hear...please ladies and gentlemen, a round of applause for Alex Holt and DARKESTAR!

*more cheering; a trophy is brought out and Alex raises his arms in the air, transmitter in one hand and the trophy in the other, as everyone else applauds*

Joey: Well, its been a long journey, often high, often low, and most often extremely delayed , but ultimately enjoyable. I hope youve all enjoyed reading it, and it shall return in the next few weeks for another series. More robots, more teams, more heats, more delays, should be fun.
    Id like to thank everyone whos read, entered, commented and particularly voted for it in this years awards, it means a lot to me and Im glad its brought some pleasure to you all. So until next year, congrats to Alex, congratulations and commiserations to Shane and Jonno and well done to everyone else, and remember the obligatory:

We dont like losing
    We dont like draws
    Weve found a winner, on Robot Wars!

Goodnight, and Merry Christmas one and all. Thankyou.

Register To Comment